• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Luiz: 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 1,396
  • Views 118,480
Status
Not open for further replies.

say yes

forum master baiter
Have to admit I thought he was a decent but not exceptional signing, but other than Martinelli he's starting to look like our best signing of the summer if he can keep up this recent level.
He’s always looked like a very good signing for 7m.

Not sure I’d put him as the second best signing though. Pepe has only had half a season but the talent is obvious, Saliba has looked immense for St Etienne, and Tierney and Ceballos have only failed to make an impact due to their injuries.

A lot of poor quality posters lost their mind over it given our awful start to the season, but the summer as a whole was elite. Particularly when you consider how much deadwood we also managed to cull.

The best window of the Emirates era by absolute miles.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli

Not sure I’d put him as the second best signing though. Pepe has only had half a season but the talent is obvious, Saliba has looked immense for St Etienne, and Tierney and Ceballos have only failed to make an impact due to their injuries.

A lot of poor quality posters lost their mind over it given our awful start to the season, but the summer as a whole was elite. Particularly when you consider how much deadwood we also managed to cull.

Can't disagree with a lot of that, but theres a lot of ifs and buts. I guess my point was that luiz looks to have been excellent business, I think pepe is still yet to play to a level I'd hope where I think luiz has shown he can play at the top of his game right now.

Agreed the summer was elite, said it at the time.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I really liked the first window when we moved to the Emirates...Rosicky, Gallas, Baptista (who I hadn’t watched in a while, and genuinely thought he was still a box to box midfielder...and I was happy with that, as the previous season I felt our midfield was a little light in numbers, after losing Paddy and Edu) were great signings I felt.

And most of the players we lost where past their peak anyway, bar Cole and Reyes, but we had some very good players in those positions anyway...plus we still had our Invincible spine of Lehmann-Toure-Gilberto-Henry, felt we were close to something special back then.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I really liked the first window when we moved to the Emirates...Rosicky, Gallas, Baptista (who I hadn’t watched in a while, and genuinely thought he was still a box to box midfielder...and I was happy with that, as the previous season I felt our midfield was a little light in numbers, after losing Paddy and Edu) were great signings I felt.

And most of the players we lost where past their peak anyway, bar Cole and Reyes, but we had some very good players in those positions anyway...plus we still had our Invincible spine of Lehmann-Toure-Gilberto-Henry, felt we were close to something special back then.
Gallas was sh**

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He was **** as a person.Imagine that he played for 3 best clubs in London.Says a lot about him.

Will never understand why Arsène made him captain, such a bizarre decision.

The only issue I had that summer, is after losing Sol and Cole, we had no senior English players in the team for 06-07...I remember I wanted us to sign Woodgate and Hargreaves.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I’ve always said you can’t judge a window for years after, especially not in under 3 months in. That’s just ridiculous.

I still prefer 2008/09 myself though, Wenger brought in Nasri and Ramsey at a net profit.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
They’ve been increasingly rare in recent years and virtually disappeared entirely in his final two Chelsea seasons.

Don’t think he’ll be a problem if we dominate games like we should. He’s good enough for a team trying to finish top 4.
I think they're in him still. How would you explain some of the stuff we've seen from him this season? That offside trap, for instance :lol: That takes some doing... As much as I'd love to put that down to things that may lessen the blame, just I can't :facepalm:

I’ve always said you can’t judge a window for years after, especially not in under 3 months in. That’s just ridiculous.

I think when judging transfers windows as whole you judge it from the transfer window that happened until the next transfer window happens. There is a season between the big summer transfers window and I think each and one of them should be judged in the period between.

At the beginning of the season I gave it 4 out of 10. It was terrible, we failed to strengthen in weak areas, just like many transfers windows before leaving us with very unhealthy squad. After half of season watching the new signings constantly failing to contribute its 2 out of 10.

Now, players can turn out good after the season. Thank god for that. I mean you expect a shy virgin boy like Pepe to improve massively with more seasons under his belt, but you always fear that he could be the next Lacazette too. Lacazette 3 seasons in and only decent at home games. That really was a bad window wasn't it, from slight hope to sign Mbappé only for Ivan to travel with Wenger to force Lacazette on him. Yikes.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Will never understand why Arsène made him captain, such a bizarre decision.

The only issue I had that summer, is after losing Sol and Cole, we had no senior English players in the team for 06-07...I remember I wanted us to sign Woodgate and Hargreaves.

Hargreaves was immense for a few seasons

Such an engine

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think when judging transfers windows as whole you judge it from the transfer window that happened until the next transfer window happens. There is a season between the big summer transfers window and I think each and one of them should be judged in the period between.

At the beginning of the season I gave it 4 out of 10. It was terrible, we failed to strengthen in weak areas, just like many transfers windows before leaving us with very unhealthy squad. After half of season watching the new signings constantly failing to contribute its 2 out of 10.

Now, players can turn out good after the season. Thank god for that. I mean you expect a shy virgin boy like Pepe to improve massively with more seasons under his belt, but you always fear that he could be the next Lacazette too. Lacazette 3 seasons in and only decent at home games. That really was a bad window wasn't it, from slight hope to sign Mbappé only for Ivan to travel with Wenger to force Lacazette on him. Yikes.

Think that viewpoint is too soon to judge players brand new to a club. The great man himself said it can take six months or so to settle in to a new club.

Also you can only really get an estimation of a player after a few years, if you asked City after the 2008/09 season if Robinho was a success after he banged in 14 goals with 5 assists they’d say yes he was a great signing but he only played 10 more games for them so he clearly turned out to be a flop for the money they spent on him, same story with Balotelli.

Then on the other hand you have players like de Gea who was called a flop after one year at Utd and turned it round massively.

Players take time to find their feet, one season isn’t enough time to assess the bigger picture.

Think that viewpoint is too soon to judge players brand new to a club. The great man himself said it can take six months or so to settle in to a new club.

Also you can only really get an estimation of a player after a few years, if you asked City after the 2008/09 season if Robinho was a success after he banged in 14 goals with 5 assists they’d say yes he was a great signing but he only played 10 more games for them so he clearly turned out to be a flop for the money they spent on him, same story with Balotelli.

Then on the other hand you have players like de Gea who was called a flop after one year at Utd and turned it round massively.

Players take time to find their feet, one season isn’t enough time to assess the bigger picture.

I just disagree strongly here. I don't think we should wait 5-10 years to judge transfers windows. Transfers windows are here to strengthen us for each season and the windows should be judged on the success of that. So far it has been bum signings and none contribute anything worth noting this season(yes one good game from Luiz is not enough to call it elite window).

Now can Pepe turn out to be next Mane? Can Tierney get better? For sure. But after next transfer window when next season starts they wont be part of the transfers that will be made for next season. They will just be players who have been at the club for one season, one bad season they had now. Bad transfers window for this season IMO.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I just disagree strongly here. I don't think we should wait 5-10 years to judge transfers windows. Transfers windows are here to strengthen us for each season and the windows should be judged on the success of that. So far it has been bum signings and none contribute anything worth noting this season(yes one good game from Luiz is not enough to call it elite window).

Now can Pepe turn out to be next Mane? Can Tierney get better? For sure. But after next transfer window when next season starts they wont be part of the transfers that will be made for next season. They will just be players who have been at the club for one season, one bad season they had now. Bad transfers window for this season IMO.

No ones saying 10 years but I think 2-3 years gives you a good indicator with 5 being definitive.

Think jumping to conclusions this soon is dangerous because players can improve, stagnate or even get worse. We’re only just halfway in to the season.

No ones saying 10 years but I think 2-3 years gives you a good indicator with 5 being definitive.

Think jumping to conclusions this soon is dangerous because players can improve, stagnate or even get worse. We’re only just halfway in to the season.

Yeah and I think it save to say all transfers we made have been bad this season.

This is all without talking about building a squad and I think we have done very badly there in recent windows. Our squad is unbalanced and lack quality in many areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom