• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Luiz: 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 1,396
  • Views 118,480
Status
Not open for further replies.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Yeah and I think it save to say all transfers we made have been bad this season.

This is all without talking about building a squad and I think we have done very badly there in recent windows. Our squad is unbalanced and lack quality in many areas.
Indeed. Our squad is very unbalanced and lack quality.

We need at least 7 to 8 out of 11 skillful players on the pitch who can beat defenders 1v1 or 1v2 to play possession and entertaining football, just like Pep’s Barcelona, Bayern, City squad.

Auba, Laca, Özil will have to leave eventually because they have to be replaced by more skillful players. Someone like Hleb, Nasri, Arshavin, Van Persie, Cazorla, Sanchez......

Signing 2 of the below would be great:
Gouiri, Reinier Jesus, Chukwueze, Szoboszlai, Aouar, Tonali

lufere7

Player:Martinelli
That's a point I've been meaning to write about for a while but I think it was covered well enough on the last page. I think the summer transfer window will be looked upon very fondly in the future.

More likely than not Tierney, Saliba, Pepe, Martinelli maybe even Ceballos will end up as the backbone of this team with the possibility of giving us 5+ years of service and/or some big transfer sums. I firmly believe at least 3 out of those will do it.
Luiz is also looking like a good transitional CB for our future talents.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I think they're in him still. How would you explain some of the stuff we've seen from him this season? That offside trap, for instance :lol: That takes some doing... As much as I'd love to put that down to things that may lessen the blame, just I can't :facepalm:
Think it's ringing a bell. I'd rather not look it up though.:lol:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Think that viewpoint is too soon to judge players brand new to a club. The great man himself said it can take six months or so to settle in to a new club.

Also you can only really get an estimation of a player after a few years, if you asked City after the 2008/09 season if Robinho was a success after he banged in 14 goals with 5 assists they’d say yes he was a great signing but he only played 10 more games for them so he clearly turned out to be a flop for the money they spent on him, same story with Balotelli.

Then on the other hand you have players like de Gea who was called a flop after one year at Utd and turned it round massively.

Players take time to find their feet, one season isn’t enough time to assess the bigger picture.
Agree.

But in terms of age, profile, and foward thinking it is the best window I can remember.

• Pepe coming off the season he had and still only 24
  • David Luiz as a last min replacement for Kos who forced our hand, also happens to be the best passing CB in the league. Short term contract as well so minimal financial risk
  • Tierney could be our LB and captain for the next ten years
  • Ceballos has the technical ability we desperately needed in midfield, albeit on loan
  • Saliba is meant to be the Mbappe of defenders
  • Martinelli just screams high potential

You look at the above and it's very difficult to not rate it, some transfers will look bad in hindsight but judging it right now, considering our limited resources? Impressive.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
Feeling a redemption arc coming up, a story for the ages where he ends up being captain leading us to the 2020/21 title

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Agree.

But in terms of age, profile, and foward thinking it is the best window I can remember.

• Pepe coming off the season he had and still only 24
  • David Luiz as a last min replacement for Kos who forced our hand, also happens to be the best passing CB in the league. Short term contract as well so minimal financial risk
  • Tierney could be our LB and captain for the next ten years
  • Ceballos has the technical ability we desperately needed in midfield, albeit on loan
  • Saliba is meant to be the Mbappe of defenders
  • Martinelli just screams high potential

You look at the above and it's very difficult to not rate it, some transfers will look bad in hindsight but judging it right now, considering our limited resources? Impressive.

Yeah I think it’s got the potential to be a very good window, obviously with the outlay on Pepe I do feel the window lives and dies on his success a little.

I think 2018 could be a good one as well though, especially if Torreira and Leno keep up their good form.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

...hope we can get this level out of him, for at least next season, happy with Papa's performances too.

Last edited:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
****s all over Koscielny.

Need more characters like him in our team.

Let's not get too carried away though, Luiz is a natural leader (which Laurent wasn't) and although Kos declined in his last few seasons, up until about 2016 or so, he was pretty amazing for us...

...Kos gets a raw deal I feel sometimes, maybe due to how he left which wasn't pretty...but if Kos didn't push through the transfer, then we wouldn't have got Luiz, who is significantly better than the finished Kos we would have had...so maybe that was his last top performance for us ;)

RUS arsenal

Established Member
Kos was awesome for us but unfortunately time catches up with everybody. He was one of the few of our stars that repaid Wenger's trust with loyalty during our darkest times and for that he will always be my favorite Arsenal player.

As for Luis, he had me raging early in the season when his mistakes cost us goals and games when it still mattered, however, his passing and skill with the ball is very much Brazilian. I just don't understand why he plays CB and not a deep-lying playmaker or something. Has been decent under Arteta and creates a lot from the back. Hopefully the new system covers for his defensive deficiencies for the rest of his tenure here.

Last edited:

GDeep™

League is very weak
****s all over Koscielny.

Need more characters like him in our team.
Why you saying this for? Where was his character when Emery needed it? He’s had 3 good games in probably the most pathetic season in over 30 years, defensively we’ve been abysmal.

Feels like we’ve won two league games in the last 4 months and here you are sucking off a bum like Luiz.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
Why you saying this for? Where was his character when Emery needed it? He’s had 3 good games in probably the most pathetic season in over 30 years, defensively we’ve been abysmal.

Feels like we’ve won two league games in the last 4 months and here you are sucking off a bum like Luiz.
You sure you're in the right thread lad?

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Can anyone tell me why Luiz is on free kicks? I dont know what hes doing in training but every game he hits a free kick and every game it goes about 5 metres over the crossbar?

He never gets close. Of the top of my head I think I can remember him scoring one for chelsea but he has been terrible at them for us. He isnt a good free kick taker however hes still on them. Arteta needs to nip that in the bud asap. We are wasting opportunities.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

As for Luis, he had me raging early in the season when his mistakes cost us goals and games when it still mattered, however, his passing and skill with the ball is very much Brazilian. I just don't understand why he plays CB and not a deep-lying playmaker or something. Has been decent under Arteta and creates a lot from the back. Hopefully the new system covers for his defensive deficiencies for the rest of his tenure here.
Benitez, Mourinho and various others have tried this. He's not bad there but he lacks the positional awareness to do it. Might as well keep him in CB.

Also, yeah despite it turning sour in the end, Kos was hands down our best CB since invincbles - easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom