• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
I'm gonna be patient with Nelson, but it's a little annoying to see that his development has stalled a bit. I remember the first time I watched him when he was like 14.

He was just next level. More talented at that age than Odoi and Sancho. Two players people are now saying are way above his level smh.

His explosiveness and quick feet were attributes that really impressed me, but they have not translated to first team football.

He also played with a lot of swagger, so it's sad that his confidence is that low now.

Even though it took him time to adjust to U18 and U23 football too, but when he did, it was complete domination.

Really hope it comes together for him. He needs to get much stronger, I don't think it's his balance that's the issue as he showed excellent body control and agility as a youngster.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
He's shown better than this, but it wasn't ever in this tier, so he's still got it all very much to prove. He wasn't very good tonight, and part of that was because he tried too hard again and wouldn't let go of the ball--but that's all part of it. Can't keep saying 'he just needs to do this, or that' .Look at Martinelli... Huge contrast.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
It’s not about him being physical enough.

His strengths “skills and football brain” is not even anywhere close to top class. How can people classified him as a good prospect?

This was someone with good skills, football brain and dribbling at a young age:

Nasri was a bit of a **** tbh, had tons of potential but never really lived up to it. I feel as though there was 1-2 more levels in him but he just didn't want it enough.

I don't think Reiss has had a single game in the first team in which I was impressed with his performance. For a highly-regarded prospect at the age of 20, that's worrying. He's not 18, there has to be some contribution.

He has 2 goals and 2 assists so far this season in all competitions. Not a world beater, but it is something.

Actually better numbers than Özil which is stuck at only 2 assists. And we have to remember that even if we have gotten some structure defensively, our attack is still rather struggling to combine. They dont know how to play off each other properly yet.

Its happened a number of times that Nelson or Özil both have invited one-twos, and went on a run, only to have their parters run with the ball and attempt a horrendous cross to someone else or just shoot themselves. Some of our players are more direct than these two, and our attack hasn't found a lasting way to make the clash in style work yet. Once they do i think Özil and Nelson will be doing alot better.

Moah

I haven't seen him pull off a single moment of brilliance in any game he has played so far. Saka, Martinelli, and even Smith-Rowe have shown they have some quality that can be worked on, but none in Nelson.

Attacks faltered in almost all the balls played to him because he literally never passes the ball. Given a shooting opportunity, it takes him forever to shoot, and we he does it's totally powerless.

There may be something I can't see that everyone here is seeing but all I am saying is if you are letting him have some kind of free pass, at least do the same for every player in the team, foreigner or not.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Please don't get me wrong, I want him to do well with us. But I'm starting to realize he wontake it here. My biggest hope is that he develops into an Iwobi-type squad player.

He's been given a lot of chances to show he's capable of challenging for a place in our attack, but all he's done is disappoint. Infact, I've never seen him play a good game for us. We've all seen the likes of Saka, Guendouzi, martinelli have all had arguably man of the match performances for us, yet anytime I've seen Nelson, he always seem not good enough.

I haven't seen him pull off a single moment of brilliance in any game he has played so far. Saka, Martinelli, and even Smith-Rowe have shown they have some quality that can be worked on, but none in Nelson.

Attacks faltered in almost all the balls played to him because he literally never passes the ball. Given a shooting opportunity, it takes him forever to shoot, and we he does it's totally powerless.

There may be something I can't see that everyone here is seeing but all I am saying is if you are letting him have some kind of free pass, at least do the same for every player in the team, foreigner or not.

Isnt exactly the opposite though?.....or am i living in a ****ing parallel universe?

He seems to be more comfortable playing one twos to pass his man rather than long raids, but our attack has been so dysfunctional that no one has been giving him the return pass.

As for a moment of brilliance, we've already seen what he is capable of if he hits his stride.

The pass to chambers on the 1-0 goal against forest was also smooth as f***

There is absolutely some football in the guy, and i am very reticent to pass judgement on any of our attacking players, at least someone as passing oriented as Nelson, when our entire attack has been and is still largely dysfunctional.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Isnt exactly the opposite though?.....or am i living in a ****ing parallel universe?

He seems to be more comfortable playing one twos to pass his man rather than long raids, but our attack has been so dysfunctional that no one has been giving him the return pass.

As for a moment of brilliance, we've already seen what he is capable of if he hits his stride.

The pass to chambers on the 1-0 goal against forest was also smooth as f***

There is absolutely some football in the guy, and i am very reticent to pass judgement on any of our attacking players, at least someone as passing oriented as Nelson, when our entire attack has been and is still largely dysfunctional.
I don't agree with you. Martinelli, Guendouzi, Saka have all shown what they're capable of even under a manager like Emery, yet we keep making excuses for Reiss. I really hope he proves me wrong. But like I said in my earlier post, I don't see him becoming more than a squad player for us.

I don't agree with you. Martinelli, Guendouzi, Saka have all shown what they're capable of even under a manager like Emery, yet we keep making excuses for Reiss. I really hope he proves me wrong. But like I said in my earlier post, I don't see him becoming more than a squad player for us.

Except no one is making excuses for him. Even in a game where he scored the only goal, all people can bring themselves to say is how utter **** he is. That is a bit strange to me.

He has not been performing very well overall, but i have seen enough of those little details every time he is on the ball to convince me there is a good player in there, if he can manager to tie it all together in his head.

To my eyes all the ingredients are there for a good player. He has a good first touch, and technique, good passing range, and very good movement off the ball. What remains to do is making his decision making process that millisecond faster to get the better of defenders that right now are just that little bit faster than him in getting a touch on the ball, or disrupting his shooting foot. IF he can manage to do that, which i think is doable with a little experience, his raw talents means his ceiling is so much higher than Saka, Willock and Smith Rowe atleast, that its worth a little patience and frustration.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Except no one is making excuses for him. Even in a game where he scored the only goal, all people can bring themselves to say is how utter **** he is. That is a bit strange to me.

He has not been performing very well overall, but i have seen enough of those little details every time he is on the ball to convince me there is a good player in there, if he can manager to tie it all together in his head.

To my eyes all the ingredients are there for a good player. He has a good first touch, and technique, good passing range, and very good movement off the ball. What remains to do is making his decision making process that millisecond faster to get the better of defenders that right now are just that little bit faster than him in getting a touch on the ball, or disrupting his shooting foot. IF he can manage to do that, which i think is doable with a little experience, his raw talents means his ceiling is so much higher than Saka, Willock and Smith Rowe atleast, that its worth a little patience and frustration.
Alright.
I can tell you that Iwobi at 19 already
had good decision making.
All the stuff you're talking about, Iwobi
already had it by 19. So I don't get your
point that he needs more game time.
We can't afford to give him more game
time in the league with the hope that
he'll play his way into form. If he was a
foreigner, most people would already
have been calling for him to be sold.

I can tell you that Iwobi at 19 already
had good decision making.
All the stuff you're talking about, Iwobi
already had it by 19. So I don't get your
point that he needs more game time.

What on earth is the relevance of this? Maybe i worded myself poorly, but you entirely misunderstood my point. Nelson has good descicion making too in the sense that he clearly understand football, and movement. both how to move himself into space, and how to find others instinctively.

His problem is that he is essentially a foreign signing, just like Pepe. He spent his first year in senior football adapting to the slower german league. And after doing that he has to do it again now, adapting to the much faster PL. His body and brain is not accustomed to the swiftness and decisiveness that is needed to stay ahead of defenders in the PL yet.

Pepe has had 3 times the minutes on the pitch to adapt to the league. And for the beast of a player that is in him, even he only recently started actually performing. For comparison, it took Pepe, our star signing 800-something premier league minutes to register his first goal. Nelson has only had 400. Majority of those as sub-appearances of 20 minutes or less.

Honestly i think all of this is just a football fan version of PTSD. Arsenal fans have put their faith too easily in the youth talents, and been consistently been disappointed, to the point that there is a violent reaction now every time a youth player doenst put on Pires or Henry performances in their first day. It was this exact same reaction that convinced the fanbase that Gnabry would never amount to anything....look how that turned out. Need i remind you that even f***ing Pires/ Henry, and even Bergkamp were very slow starters when they first arrived. Bergkamp took 7 full matches to put on a convincing display, and Henry 8.

Last edited:

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

What on earth is the relevance of this? Maybe i worded myself poorly, but you entirely misunderstood my point. Nelson has good descicion making too in the sense that he clearly understand football, and movement. both how to move himself into space, and how to find others instinctively.

His problem is that he is essentially a foreign signing, just like Pepe. He spent his first year in senior football adapting to the slower german league. And after doing that he has to do it again now, adapting to the much faster PL. His body and brain is not accustomed to the swiftness and decisiveness that is needed to stay ahead of defenders in the PL yet.

Pepe has had 3 times the minutes on the pitch to adapt to the league. And for the beast of a player that is in him, even he only recently started actually performing. For comparison, it took Pepe, our star signing 800-something premier league minutes to register his first goal. Nelson has only had 400. Majority of those as sub-appearances of 20 minutes or less.

Honestly i think all of this is just a football fan version of PTSD. Arsenal fans have put their faith too easily in the youth talents, and been consistently been disappointed, to the point that there is a violent reaction now every time a youth player doenst put on Pires or Henry performances in their first day. It was this exact same reaction that convinced the fanbase that Gnabry would never amount to anything....look how that turned out. Need i remind you that even f***ing Pires/ Henry, and even Bergkamp were very slow starters when they first arrived. Bergkamp took 7 full matches to put on a convincing display, and Henry 8.
You have a point. I've always supported him. I hope he comes good, but I'm not sure he will. If he proves me wrong, I'll be more happier

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant

I always believe that Gnabry would become a great player. His skills, dribbling, combination play, off ball movement and football intelligence were all great when he was at Arsenal.
Nelson’s strength is skills and dribbling, but his skills and dribbling is just above average.

The problem with our young dribblers: Nelson, Saka...
They are just decent dribblers.

When facing them, the opponent fans wouldn’t think:
1 Sh**! It’s Douglas Costa, our fullback would get destroyed.
2 Please don’t let Robben having the ball, he is going to dribble past 3 of our defenders.
3 Oh...no...no... Sane is unstoppable, please can someone stop him....no....

Hudson Odoi, Chukwueze, Sandro......Many young dribblers can create this scary feeling to their opponent when they are on the ball. Nelson, Saka, and our other recent youth product just don’t have that.
He is clearly not even close to a top tier dribbler in term of dribbling skills, which is supposed to be his best attribute.

Last edited:

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

I just haven't seen enough of Nelson

People who have seem to rate him (Arteta/Wenger/Bundesliga)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom