• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Martinelli: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

We pulled the trigger before them. United had him a couple of times for a training thing they have with Ituano, but passed.

Barça and others scouted, but the offer came from Arsenal and his agent advised him to take it.

Heard Raul offered his Dad the same deal as Neymar snr .

Wryer

His singlemindedness to have the ball and charge towards goal is an attribute all top strikers have. You can see him light up the moment there is a sniff of a route to the goal.

But there is also a fine line between that and being a headless chicken. The coaching team is crucial here to bring the best out of him, to improve on his decision making and game management.

The boy is going to hit the top drawer.

Divided_Pie

With him mostly playing on the wings, I have no feel for how his hold-up play is. Can he play centrally if asked to drop deeer at times and hold the ball and provide a link-up option like Laca/Giroud?

avalonhse

I really think he’s the next club legend if he stays long enough. He has the work rate that truly elite players have. The ronaldo type who you can imagine being first to training and last to leave. Already has an excellent starting skill set too.
The work rate on the pitch and how he is on training are 2 different things. Think you confuse both, Ronaldo does not high work-rate as well.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Hard not to be very excited about Martinelli. To think we grabbed a talent like him for the price we did in a time period where we weren't having the greatest luck attracting top-tier young prospects, it's remarkable.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
With him mostly playing on the wings, I have no feel for how his hold-up play is. Can he play centrally if asked to drop deeer at times and hold the ball and provide a link-up option like Laca/Giroud?
He doesn’t have to use he body strength to hold up the ball. He can drop deep and use his skills to control the ball, do a few tricks to keep hold of the ball and provide a link up option.

ScotsGooner89

The work rate on the pitch and how he is on training are 2 different things. Think you confuse both, Ronaldo does not high work-rate as well.

No no I’m not confused at all. A persons work rate is a personality trait. You can tell martinelli has a high level from the way he plays. Just like you could with Ronaldo and other elite players... don’t confuse young ronaldo with the poacher he’s become in his later years.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
So excited about Martinelli, he hasn't had a single poor performance, every chance he gets, be it 5 mins or 90 mins, he's up for it 100%. I loved his persistence on the byline, it looked like he'd have to pass the ball but suddenly he was around the player and crossing the ball. His acceleration is great, I want to see him starting games now!

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
You know a young player is something special when everything about his game is so mature. He plays like a seasoned professional, not like a teenager who just moved from another continent.

Just a shame he got injured when we had the hectic festive fixtures pile up. He most likely would have got some starts. Now we back to a reasonable amount of time between the games again, it might be a while before he gets a proper chance. More likely a late sub appearances.

At the moment Arteta seems to only trust Laca to operate in the CF role. So if he is going to play Martinelli, it will be from the left wing. Which currently is occupied by Auba. Auba is without question our best goal scorer which means the kid has to stay patient, make the best use of the limited time he might get and force his way into the starting 11.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Needs to be developed as a CF. The way he creates space and gets a shot off is such a hard skill to do. Currently Lacazette is starting at Cf because of his work rate, which Martinelli matches. Aerially Martinelli is superior. Movement in the box, Martinelli is better. Finishing? Martinelli has more confidence. Running in behind? Martinelli.

Strength and hold up play is literally the only thing Lacazette has over him. Even then, Martinelli holds the ball up in a different way.

It's frustrating that he will be shifted to the wing or bench to accommodate, Lacazette and Nelson.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Needs to be developed as a CF. The way he creates space and gets a shot off is such a hard skill to do. Currently Lacazette is starting at Cf because of his work rate, which Martinelli matches. Aerially Martinelli is superior. Movement in the box, Martinelli is better. Finishing? Martinelli has more confidence. Running in behind? Martinelli.

Strength and hold up play is literally the only thing Lacazette has over him. Even then, Martinelli holds the ball up in a different way.

It's frustrating that he will be shifted to the wing or bench to accommodate, Lacazette and Nelson.
Lacazette uses his body strength to shield the ball in hold up play.
Martinelli can achieve the same outcome better, using his agility, skills and technique to keep the ball, similar to Firmino, Torres, Van Persie.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

I think his finishing is better too. He's played 18 games for us now (not including friendlies) and has 8 goals + 2 assists. His goals ratio per minute played is far better. In fact he may even have the best goals/min at the club. I know that doesn't mean everything but when you have 18 appearances it certainly starts to paint a reliable picture. I would play him as CF for sure, Auba, Martinelli, Pepe would be such a dynamic attack I think they would share the goals around.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Lacazette uses his body strength to shield the ball in hold up play.
Martinelli can achieve the same outcome better, using his agility, skills and technique to keep the ball, similar to Firmino, Torres, Van Persie.

Laca has no other option because he cant turn the player and sprint away. Auba, Martinelli & Pepe all have pace, they can break and all keep up with each other. Laca slows our attack down!

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Laca has no other option because he cant turn the player and sprint away. Auba, Martinelli & Pepe all have pace, they can break and all keep up with each other. Laca slows our attack down!
Lacazette doesn’t have the pace to turn and sprint away.
Aubameyang has the pace. But the defender will know Aubameyang can only either turn or make a simple pass, it’s not that hard to defend against him.

Quite often, when Lacazette or Aubameyang are on the ball, we either lost possession straight away, or they are forced to take the ball into a wide area and then we lost possession.

With Pepe or Martinelli, they can use their agility, technique, close control and skills to keep the ball. Instead of losing the ball to the opponent or being forced to a direction, they can dribble their way out.

Dribble past a defender, and then you are now with lot more space and passing options to launch a quick attack or continue building up our play. Pepe and Martinelli have the ability to pick a killer pass to cut through the defence, because they have the skills and techniques similar to an attacking midfielder, like a Firmino/Van Persie type of player.

Auba and Laca may have pace, finishing and off the ball movement. These are good attributes when you don’t have the ball and you can run into a space. But that require a lot of conditions to be successful. The opponent team must push up their defensive line so they have space behind. Our team must be sitting deep so they have space to run to.....

In possession football you are on the ball for much more time. You just can’t lose the ball whenever your teammates pass to you or make simple pass back to someone.

Last edited:

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Lacazette doesn’t have the pace to turn and sprint away.
Aubameyang has the pace. But the defender will know Aubameyang can only either turn or make a simple pass, it’s not that hard to defend against him.

Quite often, when Lacazette or Aubameyang are on the ball, we either lost possession straight away, or they are forced to take the ball into a wide area and then we lost possession.

With Pepe or Martinelli, they can use their agility, technique, close control and skills to keep the ball. Instead of losing the ball to the opponent or being forced to a direction, they can dribble their way out.

Dribble past a defender, and then you are now with lot more space and passing options to launch a quick attack or continue building up our play. Pepe and Martinelli have the ability to pick a killer pass to cut through the defence, because they have the skills and techniques similar to an attacking midfielder, like a Firmino/Van Persie type of player.

Auba and Laca may have pace, finishing and off the ball movement. These are good attributes when you don’t have the ball and you can run into a space. But that require a lot of conditions to be successful. The opponent team must push up their defensive line so they have space behind. Our team must be sitting deep so they have space to run to.....

In possession football you are on the ball for much more time. You just can’t lose the ball whenever your teammates pass to you or make simple pass back to someone.

I'm not sure what you're telling me? Also you seem to be contradicting yourself re Laca's pace, does he have pace or not? :rolleyes:

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
From a sheer talent standpoint, I don't think we've seen a young player with as much in his locker at the club since Fabregas. Wilshere maybe but we know what happened with his fitness. The amazing thing about him, even at his young age which is very rare is that he plays with maturity, intensity and joy all at the same time. You can see he's both enjoying himself and working his socks off every time he steps foot on the pitch and he has an intelligence about his play that is beyond his years.

What's amazing is that due to his age and this being the first time in his life he has access to top level strength and conditioning, his physical gifts are only going to get better and more refined. He already looks comfortable playing at the PL level and as his strength and pace continue to improve along with already great technique, he's going to be a nightmare. I think that so long as the injury bug doesn't hit him we're potentially looking at a guy who in 3-4 years will be in the debate for the 2nd best number 9 on the planet(Mbappe probably has best locked down for the next 8 years or so). I'm so pleased we have him and I just hope we can build well enough that he'll want to stay if he does reach his ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom