• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2019/20

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
A lot of work to be done on this squad

Feel like we need more physically robust players with better fitness to play how Arteta wants.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
A lot of work to be done on this squad

Feel like we need more physically robust players with better fitness to play how Arteta wants.
Think in summer we'll buy good ball playing CB 2 midfielders winger and CF depend on laca and auba

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Weak bench the last few games, but if you consider that both starting full backs, Ceballos and Holding/Chambers are out - we have decent depth.

Think it's quality we lack. We only have world class forwards (Auba and possibly Özil). Leno, Torreria, Pepe and Tierney have the potential.

Reyes no.11

Formation: 4-2-3-1

GK: Leno, Martinez, Macey
LB: Tierney, Kolasinac
CB: Luiz, Mavropanos
CB: Sokratis, Holding, Chambers
RB: Bellerin, *Aarons

DM: Xhaka, Guendouzi, Willock
DM: Torreria, Maitland-Niles

LM: Aubameyang, Saka
AM: Özil, Ceballos
RM: Pepe, Nelson

CF: Lacazette, Martinelli, Nketiah

In: Aarons
Out: Mustafi

HaffBR

Designer of fancy pyramids
Midfield is the problem. Özil is past his prime, Xhaka is not good enough and Guendouzi raw. I like Torreira tho.
Now, Arsenal needs a creative CM or a more involved and energetic AM and a better DM to replace Xhaka and Özil.

StefanB

This is how I see it as our major points of concern at the moment:

We have problems with our defence. Mainly at centre half where we now only have 2 proven senior CB's. Luiz is bit of a loose cannon at times as seen at Chelsea and PSG, but he's a good ballplaying defender. Sokratis is a tough bastard and a good defender, but struggles at times with being overly aggressive and being quite poor on the ball.

Behind them are Holding who's just been out for a year, and who's hardly been consistent before that ACL injury. After him we have Mustafi who's a bonafide clown and doesn't even make the bench when we're shuffling things around. We also have Chambers who will have the same difficulties that Holding is experiencing right now, and like Holding he's hardly been consistent at the highest level, so we don't know what player is going to be back in a year.

Last but not least is William Saliba who's 18 and can't be relied upon as a regular.

That means in my mind that we need to buy one more proven senior centreback. Preferably around 23-28 years old that can play with Luiz/Sokratis/Holding/Saliba.

Next in line is our midfield. Torreira seems to fit Arteta's style of play quite nicely, but his playing style means he's bound to take a lot of knocks and is vulnerable to injuries and knocks. With him out of the team the midfield collapses pretty much. Xhaka and Guendouzi are a lousy duo. We've yet to see Ceballos play in deeper midfield, but my hope is that he could displace Xhaka from the DLP role. Willock is definitely talented, but I don't think he's ready to take "command" of the midfield. AMN might be a shout still for a midfield spot, but we can't spare him as he's our best RB at the moment. That leaves us short of good options and partnerships. Basically everyone is better suited to play alongside a "destroyer" or a holding defensive midfielder like Torreira.

Another problem is Özil. When Özil is on song he's still one of the best. But with Özil not having a good game we struggle immensely to dictate the tempo of the game. Our midfield with Xhaka and Torreira (atm. our strongest midfield) can't dictate play from deep and bypass the opponents midfield/attack.

This is why I mean we need someone more dynamic and press resilient unlike Xhaka who basically plays backwards and sideways because he's unable to play between the lines or turn with the ball. My hope is that this could be Ceballos, but unless he's interested in a permanent move I don't want him to be a crucial player for our system.

And last, but not least.. I think we still have a major concern with our left wing options.

At the moment our first choice left winger is Aubameyang. He will work hard and score goals, but his goals keeps coming from him moving into a central position. His combination play is poor, he can't run with the ball at his feet and take on defenders. His only option is going in behind basically. Which means that we struggle if Kolasinac isn't having the best day (he's a one man attack when he's in form).

Behind Aubameyang we have Nelson and Saka (I won't mention Martinelli because I think he's destined for the CF role). For me two very talented young academy players who haven't really gotten into their best attacking form for the first team yet.

If it wasn't for having major problems with our defence and midfield I would like for us to go for someone proven and therefor someone probably expensive. But because we have other priorities I would like to see Nelson get a good run of games on the left hand side. As a youngster he's always been better either on the left or centrally. He's great at combination play, he can run with the ball, he can go in behind and he can dribble. If he adaps to first team football (like I think he will) he'll add another dimension or two to our left side.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Midfield is the problem. Özil is past his prime, Xhaka is not good enough and Guendouzi raw. I like Torreira tho.
Now, Arsenal needs a creative CM or a more involved and energetic AM and a better DM to replace Xhaka and Özil.

Agree. I only rate Torreria as one of the leagues best from our midfield options. Ceballos possibly could be, but is yet to prove it and Özil is washed up now.

A top class Cm of any ilk (breaker or creator) would really take us up a level.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
When you consider when Klopp took over in 2015, only 7 players remain and only 1 of them starts every week, you have to look at the squad building picture. There needs to be a turn over but we have a lot of youth, so the problem is the age range we buy. I am of the opinion that we shouldn't be buying anyone over 24. It doesn't make any sense. It will just mean that when our young players are approaching an age of consistency, we will have old players that need to be replaced with big money signings.

Young is 17 -22

Starting 23-25

Peak years 26-30

Old 31+

For us (going by age at start of next season):

Young: Saka, ESR, Nketiah, Martinelli, Nelson, Willock, Saliba, Mavropanos, Guendouzi.

Starting: Bellerin, Holding, Chambers, Pepe, Torreira, Tierney

Peak: Leno, Mustafi, Xhaka, Elneny, Kola

Old: Laca, Özil, Auba, Mhiki, Sokratis, Luiz.

So when you look at that list we need to buy players who are ready to play in the ' starters' age range. For example if you buy a 23 year old cm, when Martinelli is 23, that player would be 28 in their peak and the cycle keeps going so that you can blood youngsters and buy 23 year olds instead of looking for 30 year old quick fixes.

Where we have older players we can have younger deputys. For example, Bellerin needs a young back up/challenger. Not someone at the end of their career.

The problem currently is we want to sell all of our peak players and all of our old ones, but we need to do it in stages and take hits on players where there is no market.

Mustafi, Xhaka, Kola ( as long as Tierney comes back and takes his place) and Elneny can definitely be sold in the summer. I would use the cash to fund a top cm purchase. Someone like Zakaria who is 23.

I wouldn't make the same mistake with Auba. Sell him, recoup the funds and buy a centre back with minutes and experience to partner Saliba and guide him. Someone around 24.

We could either upgrade on Torreira or stick wit him. Maybe a more robust playmaker around the same age, but for the same money.

Sell Miki and buy a RB for cover. Martinelli like signing.

Finally our actual budget as everything would have gone through sales. We should invest in a left sided winger/playmaker with genuine end product. A direct scorer. Around the age of 24, ready for the premiere and good from the left. I'd go for Grealish. He has 6 goals in a poor Villa team. In a highly functioning team that dominates possession he should easily be in double figures. He knows the league and is adapted. Much like Mane was.

Either way in the next window we need a CB, CM x 2 (unless we develop AMN there) Rb cover, LW depending on if Nelson explodes.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
The biggest problem in the squad is the midfield, even bigger than the defence.
Torreira is the only guy you can trust. Guendouzi is talented but not ready & most of us already agree that Xhaka is not good enough
We need a new CB with actual ball playing ability & a backup RB won't hurt even though AMN has been good.
Another uncharacteristic crisis we have is the LW/CF dilemma. Let's face it, playing Auba & Laca together doesn’t work as Laca doesn’t score enough. If we are to play Auba upfront then we need an elite LW as Auba will always score but he is a true poacher. An elite LW would mask Auba's limited game, Martinelli is gonna be a star but he isn’t ready yet or perhaps he'll end up as a CF. If you think Nelson or Saka are good enough right now then I don’t what to say

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

When you consider when Klopp took over in 2015, only 7 players remain and only 1 of them starts every week, you have to look at the squad building picture. There needs to be a turn over but we have a lot of youth, so the problem is the age range we buy. I am of the opinion that we shouldn't be buying anyone over 24. It doesn't make any sense. It will just mean that when our young players are approaching an age of consistency, we will have old players that need to be replaced with big money signings.

Young is 17 -22

Starting 23-25

Peak years 26-30

Old 31+

Young: Saka, ESR, Nketiah, Martinelli, Nelson, Willock, Saliba, Mavropanos, Guendouzi.

So when you look at that list we need to buy players who are ready to play in the ' starters' age range. For example if you buy a 23 year old cm, when Martinelli is 23, that player would be 28 in their peak and the cycle keeps going so that you can blood youngsters and buy 23 year olds instead of looking for 30 year old quick fixes.

Where we have older players we can have younger deputys. For example, Bellerin needs a young back up/challenger. Not someone at the end of their career.

The problem currently is we want to sell all of our peak players and all of our old ones, but we need to do it in stages and take hits on players where there is no market.

Mustafi, Xhaka, Kola ( as long as Tierney comes back and takes his place) and Elneny can definitely be sold in the summer. I would use the cash to fund a top cm purchase. Someone like Zakaria who is 23.

I wouldn't make the same mistake with Auba. Sell him, recoup the funds and buy a centre back with minutes and experience to partner Saliba and guide him. Someone around 24.

We could either upgrade on Torreira or stick wit him. Maybe a more robust playmaker around the same age, but for the same money.

Finally our actual budget as everything would have gone through sales. We should invest in a left sided winger/playmaker with genuine end product. A direct scorer. Around the age of 24, ready for the premiere and good from the left. I'd go for Grealish. He has 6 goals in a poor Villa team. In a highly functioning team that dominates possession he should easily be in double figures. He knows the league and is adapted. Much like Mane was.

Either way in the next window we need a CB, CM x 2 (unless we develop AMN there) Rb cover, LW depending on if Nelson explodes.

Lacazette is 28.

benjamin86

Established Member

Young is 17 -22

Starting 23-25

Peak years 26-30

Old 31+

Lacazettes not 31+

Manberg

Predator
It's hard to see where goals will come from outside of Aubameyang. We're missing Ramsey's goals from midfield. We're lacking that midfielder that has impact in the final third.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Young is 17 -22

Starting 23-25

Peak years 26-30

Old 31+

You want to sell Auba and not replace him?

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Selling Auba would be a really bad decision without a proven replacement. We lack goals even with him.

We lack goals due to systemic issues and creating chances. We have players that can score chances. Not selling him and using the money to increase his wages to watch him fall off a cliff in decline would be stupid. Sell him, make Lacazette the primary forward and buy a left winger than can score and create. That way you can develop the young players with a little less pressure.

Top Bottom