• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Merci Arsène

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
There is spending big and then there is fantasy football where no one in the league can compete, that’s what the owners want and I’m not sure that does anything for Wenger.
Yeah, tbh, I think it ruins it all for him. Bottomless funds is too much pressure and not a lot of fun at the end of the day. Wenger got the most pleasure out of the game by proving his judgement was sound.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
He kept pulling out on deals over a couple million here and there. Then who sanctioned that stupid 40m + 1p Suarez farce? Wenger became indecisive and while he obviously would have been less indecisive on some deals, it's hard to say what he really would have done. Leicester would probably have asked for much more had we been properly wedged up, and Wenger may well have bottled agreeing the fee again for all we know. Mo money, mo problems.
It's not just signing players, he would've been able to keep Fabregas/RVP etc. Imagine consolidating the talent base instead of just having to add people like Cazorla or Özil as replacements.

Besides, 2016 Wenger was different in the market to the manager he was 6-7 years before. By the end he had so many voices in his ears with StatDNA, Gazidis etc.

GDeep™

League is very weak
He kept pulling out on deals over a couple million here and there. Then who sanctioned that stupid 40m + 1p Suarez farce? Wenger became indecisive and while he obviously would have been less indecisive on some deals, it's hard to say what he really would have done. Leicester would probably have asked for much more had we been properly wedged up, and Wenger may well have bottled agreeing the fee again for all we know. Mo money, mo problems.

Wenger said himself he wasn’t negotiating transfers. Bottling the fee would’ve been someone else.

say yes

forum master baiter

Fascinating read on some of our (attempted) transfer business over the last few years.

Not at all a dig at Wenger, but was glad so many times in this read that our manager is no longer in charge of transfer business. Far too much responsibility for one man in this modern age.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

Fascinating read on some of our (attempted) transfer business over the last few years.

Not at all a dig at Wenger, but was glad so many times in this read that our manager is no longer in charge of transfer business. Far too much responsibility for one man in this modern age.

Looks like the poor recruitment had a lot to do with Arsène. People tried to absolve him of blame.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Wenger’s support for Giroud and the dilly-dallying around Suarez/Higuain killed me that year. But it should’ve never been his job in the first place to make these decisions.

say yes

forum master baiter
Looks like the poor recruitment had a lot to do with Arsène. People tried to absolve him of blame.
Was there ever any doubt over that?

Have been countless stories of Wenger having far too much say over transfers, which was never his strength. Biggest mistake of the Emirates era, by miles, was not replacing Dein.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Was there ever any doubt over that?

Have been countless stories of Wenger having far too much say over transfers, which was never his strength. Biggest mistake of the Emirates era, by miles, was not replacing Dein.

It was obvious Arsène had control of all the footballing aspects. But I didn't think the money was up to him too, wish he wasn't tryna spend Arsenal's money like it was his own.

Also I'm sure he had faith in players improving or not being injured so dithered on positions were we needed reinforcements.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

Anyone want to mention their favourites?

2015 was the most relaxed I have ever felt in a cup final, after Walcott scored, and both Villa’s CMs were booked by half time...I basically had the cigar out, I felt they couldn’t touch us then, wonderfully easy win that day...even in 2003 when we were 1-0 against Southampton at halftime, I wasn’t as convinced we had the game won, and we had a better team then...plus that BBC documentary on that final was hilarious...especially that Villa fan who was getting married on the day, and his wife’s parents where Birmingham fans :lol:

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It's not just signing players, he would've been able to keep Fabregas/RVP etc. Imagine consolidating the talent base instead of just having to add people like Cazorla or Özil as replacements.

Besides, 2016 Wenger was different in the market to the manager he was 6-7 years before. By the end he had so many voices in his ears with StatDNA, Gazidis etc.
Good post. After 2015/16 when the fans were in full '4th place is not a trophy mode', the management made some panic buys. Asano, Perez, Mustafi in particular.

Last edited:

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka

Anyone want to mention their favourites?

2015 was the most relaxed I have ever felt in a cup final, after Walcott scored, and both Villa’s CMs were booked by half time...I basically had the cigar out, I felt they couldn’t touch us then, wonderfully easy win that day...even in 2003 when we were 1-0 against Southampton at halftime, I wasn’t as convinced we had the game won, and we had a better team then...plus that BBC documentary on that final was hilarious...especially that Villa fan who was getting married on the day, and his wife’s parents where Birmingham fans :lol:

Agreed, that was an easy peasy win, and it made it even sweeter that we absolutely pounced Sherwood who mouthed off a lot while at Sp*rs.

There was a lot of hype before the final, about how that Grealish performance vs. Liverpool at the semi was reminding people of Giggs vs. us on 1998, but it was never the case.

We had so much class in that team, that I knew we would win comfortably.

href="
:rofl::rofl: all the boomer Wenger haters going apeshit on twitter .

Here is another one :

In 2011, the IFFHS awarded an additional award to coaches by combining the points awarded in the annual World's Best Club Coach awards, to the coach who had gained the most points collectively over the previous ten years to determine the best coach of the previous decade. This World Coach of the Decade award was awarded to Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger, despite the fact he had never won the annual World's Best Club Coach award.

From wikipedia

The IFFHS World's Best Club Coach is an association football award given annually, since 1996, to the most outstanding club coach as voted by the International Federation of Football History & Statistics (IFFHS). The votes, in 1996, were cast by IFFHS's editorial staff as well as experts from 89 countries spanning six different continents. Since then, the votes are now awarded by 81 experts and selected editorial offices from all of the continents.

Top Bottom