• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Dayot Upamecano

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
They haven't, hilarious how many people are pretending to know him. I gotta say he is fantastic on the ball and physically great but defensively don't think he's anything special. For 40M or so I think you go for him but like you said a Saliba Upa partnership won't get us anywhere next season.
Have you?

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
The player has a decision to make. Virtually guaranteed playing time or bench warming in Spain. If we match the price, we're not out of this race. Throw in Mustafi for free as well as Medley on loan if we have to. If he lives up to his hype, with Saliba, this will be the best CB partnership we've had since Campbell/Toure.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
The player has a decision to make. Virtually guaranteed playing time or bench warming in Spain. If we match the price, we're not out of this race. Throw in Mustafi for free as well as Medley on loan if we have to. If he lives up to his hype, with Saliba, this will be the best CB partnership we've had since Campbell/Toure.

Easy now, we had a damn fine one after this that shouldn't be dismissed too quickly...

per-mertesacker-of-germany-and-laurent-koscielny-of-france-are-seen-picture-id451694786

...before wining the heavyweight title, you have to win the intercontinental title ;)

Last edited:

GDeep™

League is very weak
For me Joe Gomez is probably the 2nd best CB in the league after VVD, but it’s taken him nearly 4 years to reach this level after Liverpool signed him from Charlton where he was touted as a future England international. He also had the benefit of developing under Klopp and in a strong team.

I just think guys like Saliba and Upa you write off for 2/3 years once you sign them, it’s still a big development phase at their ages.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

For me Joe Gomez is probably the 2nd best CB in the league after VVD, but it’s taken him nearly 4 years to reach this level after Liverpool signed him from Charlton where he was touted as a future England international. He also had the benefit of developing under Klopp and in a strong team.

I just think guys like Saliba and Upa you write off for 2/3 years once you sign them, it’s still a big development phase at their ages.

See. It’s why we should buy Championship.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Easy now, we had a damn fine one after this that shouldn't be dismissed too quickly...

per-mertesacker-of-germany-and-laurent-koscielny-of-france-are-seen-picture-id451694786

...before wining the heavyweight title, you have to win the intercontinental title ;)
I hear you but on an individual basis and as a pair, there weren't the significant deficiencies Kos and Per had. Campbell and Toure were a level above.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Love me some Joe Gomez but he’s not even a nailed on starter? I still think Laporte edges him for me.

Bloodbather

Established Member

For Saliba, I agree, he's only 18. Needs time. I don't think anybody thinks of him being pencilled in a starter straight away. For Upamecano, however, I disagree. He has considerable experience despite his age, started featuring as a starter for RB Leipzig at 18. Played 10 UCL games and 14 UEL games already. He's going to gain even more experience this season as Leipzig are leading the Bundesliga and are in the knock-out stages of UCL.

It's not like you can't have an experienced defender next to Upa for a couple of years as Saliba develops, either. That's probably going to be David Luiz initially, then you look at how far Saliba has come in his development. Chambers or Holding could get a run next to Upa for a while too, if Saliba isn't quite there yet.

Last edited:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Gomez is up there though, not second best in the league but an elite talent. I remember when we were linked with him.:(

Top Bottom