• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Now Saka is catching strays. Honestly, just back the both of them ffs.

It's so bizarre, why do people feel like we have to tear down one to back the other? :lol:

When Saka was playing well earlier this season it was used as a way to have a go at Nelson, now it's the opposite way around. They're both extremely talented players, two of the most promising players we've produced in quite a long time. Two slightly different styles of players but both can make it here without a shadow of a doubt.

say yes

forum master baiter
I loved how much more direct he looked against Leeds.

Think he could well flourish under Arteta.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
A quick word on Martinelli. Its unfortunate and both forunate that we have him. Unfortunate that other young players will be judged against him and that we will lose him if we do not become a competitive team in the next 3 years, but fortunate to have such a talent on our books. He has literally everything you want in a modern day centre forward and this is before he is physically developed. He still looks like kid. Put that into perspective. Imagine him at 23. We need to make sure we nurture this talent as it potentiallly world class.
Baaah! It's just fortunate that we have Martinelli. There is nothing unfortunate about it! Whatever will be, will be.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

People don't realise that what these young player require is coaching above all else. With the right coaching their true talents will be allowed to flourish.

Look at City how players like Sane, Sterling, etc have gone up a few levels thanks to coaching. Even KDB although not a youngster really, the point still stands.

A good system, team cohesion and good one on one coaching can do wonders for young players where they were struggling beforehand.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Slowly getting his confidence back. It's still not fully there yet - the occasional slips and that moment when he left the ball behind after a really neat chop past the defender. He's doing the right things, but lacking the conviction of a confident player. Once he starts to feel himself again, those little dribbles and passes will come off, and he'll also be a lot more comfortable shooting aswell. Arteta's not just coaching him, he's giving him the confidence to be Reiss Nelson on the pitch again.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Good for you. Most of the fanbase wasnt particularly a fan of him though. These are just a few picks from his transfer thread.

"If he was a real talent he would've made the breakthrough. He's just another one to add to the long list including names like Merida, Afobe, Bentley, Lansbury. Zelalem will be added to it soon enough. Arsenal fans will do well to stop hyping up these 16 year olds in the future."

"
Never been particularly good for us .

Can't say I particularly care"

"Let him go to Brighton, he's not getting ahead of Ox, Campbell, Walcott and Alexis regardless of form."

Did you actually take the time to read the post above you at all? your comment suggests you didn't
Then if his skill level is not top class, he shouldn’t be played on the wing. Try him at the Özil position, would like to see how good his killer pass is and his combination play in the centre. Unlike Özil, having some dribbling skills would be an advantage for Nelson to play centrally.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
People don't realise that what these young player require is coaching above all else. With the right coaching their true talents will be allowed to flourish.

Look at City how players like Sane, Sterling, etc have gone up a few levels thanks to coaching. Even KDB although not a youngster really, the point still stands.

A good system, team cohesion and good one on one coaching can do wonders for young players where they were struggling beforehand.

Guys like Sane, Sterling and KDB were world renowned youth players, they were on another level to Nelson at 20. As Arsenal fans we tend to hype up our own players but Nelson isn't on the level of world class youth.

progman07

Established Member
It's so bizarre, why do people feel like we have to tear down one to back the other? :lol:

When Saka was playing well earlier this season it was used as a way to have a go at Nelson, now it's the opposite way around. They're both extremely talented players, two of the most promising players we've produced in quite a long time. Two slightly different styles of players but both can make it here without a shadow of a doubt.
Definitely. Both have the talent, it's now about the mental and physical part. Can they find consistency, can they build up enough strength, can they stay injury free?

I can see Gnabry in both of them to be honest - small but potentially powerful goalscoring wingers, it's obviously 50-50 that either of them makes it to that level, but unconditional support is the only way from the supporters.

When did Mahrez or Salah become a top player, did everyone see the level they would reach when they were 18-20? They both needed a lower pressure environment to gain the confidence and experience needed to reach the level.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
“I know Reiss because I coached him when he was 16 and straightaway he caught my eye,” Arteta said.

“He is a boy that is willing to learn and loves the game but I think he has been a little bit confused in the last few years – what direction he had to take, some of the decisions that he made.

“Now I can see that he really wants it and I think he has the potential to do whatever he wants. He needs guidance, he needs a little bit of a stick, and he’s up for it.”

“I was expecting a little more from his side as well,” said Arteta when asked about Nelson’s season in Germany. “He needs to take responsibility as well.

“If he wants to play for this club every three days, when you have to step in there you have to be almost perfect. At the moment I see this kind of attitude and desire.”

“He was that good when he was young that everything was too easy for him,” said Arteta. “Then to make the step from a high level, it is a big step, and if you haven't exposed yourself down here, to do it the next day up there [in senior football] doesn't happen.

“You have a lot of habits and those habits have to be taken away and replaced with new ones and he has done that very quickly, much quicker than I thought and that is why he has been playing.”

Encouraging comments from Arteta, seems like Nelson is taking what he's teaching him on board...

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

“I know Reiss because I coached him when he was 16 and straightaway he caught my eye,” Arteta said.

“He is a boy that is willing to learn and loves the game but I think he has been a little bit confused in the last few years – what direction he had to take, some of the decisions that he made.

“Now I can see that he really wants it and I think he has the potential to do whatever he wants. He needs guidance, he needs a little bit of a stick, and he’s up for it.”

“I was expecting a little more from his side as well,” said Arteta when asked about Nelson’s season in Germany. “He needs to take responsibility as well.

“If he wants to play for this club every three days, when you have to step in there you have to be almost perfect. At the moment I see this kind of attitude and desire.”

“He was that good when he was young that everything was too easy for him,” said Arteta. “Then to make the step from a high level, it is a big step, and if you haven't exposed yourself down here, to do it the next day up there [in senior football] doesn't happen.

“You have a lot of habits and those habits have to be taken away and replaced with new ones and he has done that very quickly, much quicker than I thought and that is why he has been playing.”

Encouraging comments from Arteta, seems like Nelson is taking what he's teaching him on board...

Wow he is pretty spot on about Nelson's troubles stemming from jnr football being too easy for him , was also hyped to the max. Going to have to learn how to fight which is what less talented players already know .

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Wow he is pretty spot on about Nelson's troubles stemming from jnr football being too easy for him , was also hyped to the max. Going to have to learn how to fight which is what less talented players already know .
Made his debut for the U23s at 15, scored his first goal the week of his 16h birthday. Youth football was beyond easy.

I think the truth is somewhat in the middle. Definitely he needs to acclimatise physically to grown men's football, but also he needs to be trusted a bit more. Some of his confidence issues stem from the fact that despite his explosive trajectory through youth football and even with a short but significant stretch of end product at first team level, he has never actually been given a proper run of starts and games till a few weeks ago.

The Reiss Nelson that's snatching at shots, hesitantly going into 1v1s and being scared of making a bold play is not the player I've been accustomed to seeing. The real one is there, it is just a matter of him grafting and fighting his way back to full power and confidence, as well as Arteta giving him the trust and motivation he needs. This will be a good test for him, and while I have faith he has the talent to succeed, whether he has the willpower to push his way to the top will be seen. I have faith that he will do it, as long as he has Arteta's backing.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Made his debut for the U23s at 15, scored his first goal the week of his 16h birthday. Youth football was beyond easy.

I think the truth is somewhat in the middle. Definitely he needs to acclimatise physically to grown men's football, but also he needs to be trusted a bit more. Some of his confidence issues stem from the fact that despite his explosive trajectory through youth football and even with a short but significant stretch of end product at first team level, he has never actually been given a proper run of starts and games till a few weeks ago.

The Reiss Nelson that's snatching at shots, hesitantly going into 1v1s and being scared of making a bold play is not the player I've been accustomed to seeing. The real one is there, it is just a matter of him grafting and fighting his way back to full power and confidence, as well as Arteta giving him the trust and motivation he needs. This will be a good test for him, and while I have faith he has the talent to succeed, whether he has the willpower to push his way to the top will be seen. I have faith that he will do it, as long as he has Arteta's backing.

Yeah agree . think Arteta can give him a road map of what it takes .If I was Reiss I'd play what Nagelsmann said in some presser about his being Messi talent , every morning over and over again :lol:

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

Dont know this fellas but he dropped this long before the game about the hamstring. Can only hope it's only the 3 weeks. Bit worrying though. 2md hamstring injury of the season.

Sounds weird, but I am so relieved - just seen the POST-match conference and I was shook when Arteta mentioned Reiss and said "it is not looking good". 3 weeks hurt, but I already had horror scenarios of 5 months+ in mind.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Sounds weird, but I am so relieved - just seen the POST-match conference and I was shook when Arteta mentioned Reiss and said "it is not looking good". 3 weeks hurt, but I already had horror scenarios of 5 months+ in mind.
This guy must know him or something because going by the injury update, he's spot on. 3 weeks. Relieved but still annoyed he is injured. Needs to build momentum.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
This guy must know him or something because going by the injury update, he's spot on. 3 weeks. Relieved but still annoyed he is injured. Needs to build momentum.

I'd like to see Nelson playing where Özil is. Arteta says he coached him and he knows him. I don't think he is a winger.

I'd like to see this when in possession:

--------------------Martinelli----Auba
Saka-------------------------Nelson-------------------Pepe
----------------------------------------------Bellerin
-----------------AMN---------Torreira
---------------------------Luiz---------Sokratis

Özil isn't scoring, dribbling or assisting. Not only that but off the ball he is just a body. I feel like Nelson would give us so much more in the inside right channel and AMN can easily do what Xhaka is doing and some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom