• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kysus

Much improved in his overall play already.
Now just needs to tweak his movement as he is NEVER able to receive the ball in behind.
Teams know his talent so when receiving the ball deeper he always needs to beat 3-4 players.

Also we buildup almost entirely from the left via xhaka and luiz, could be on purpose to remove pepe's turnovers in our own half.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
The dribble action that freed him from two players followed up by him setting up Martinelli in the box shows what type of player he is. Super dangerous when he's able to close in on central positions coming from the right, adept at linking up the striker with passes from that spot or going further toward the center scoring himself.

He's very similar to Mo Salah in what he prefers to do and what he excels at. Obviously not the same level, but that's the way his talents are best utilized.

0_mosalah201718.jpg

This is Salah's heatmap from the 17-18 season. His hottest locations are those more center-right areas and that's where he's at his most productive. Pépé is much the same, but most of the time he gets the ball all the way down at the flank, or close to the halfway line. We just can't overload in a way that gives the ball to Pépé in that center-right position across the box. Not having a RB that can overlap is a significant reason why, it forces Pépé to provide width by sticking to the flank and his only way of moving to more central positions are by taking on multiple players. He's skilled enough to be able to pull it off sometimes, but most of the time it results in him either losing the ball, or attempting a shot from far out that hits a player. Taking shots from far out isn't his game either, his goals at Lille came almost exclusively from inside the box, most of them around the penalty spot.

The only game this season where I saw Pépé have opportunities to play centrally enough to find himself near the penalty spot was the Liverpool game at home where he started next to Aubameyang in a 4-3-1-2. He did squander the opportunities he got in that one, but it was his most Lille-like performance. Even that one was more counter-attack heavy anyway, not really a case where overloading gave Pépé those opportunities.

Optimizing Pépé is important imo, not just because he's a huge investment, but because he's definitely the most skilled player on the team and one that can elevate the team to a different level.
This is what Arteta wants from him. I don’t think we would’ve bought him (or any other wide forward who’s not comfortable with hugging the touchline) if Arteta was here last summer. Arteta is forced to play him in that role since we have Gabi/Auba who are even worse at playing that role so they play the wide forward role with the fullback holding the width Pepe would’ve been most comfortable in.

It’s a mismatch but it can easily be fixed by dropping Laca and then letting AMN/Bellerin hold the width on right, Saka on the left and then Pepe and Özil in between the lines.​
Leno
CB Luiz LB
Torreira Xhaka
AMN/Bellerin Pepe Auba Özil Saka

Manberg

Predator
The dribble action that freed him from two players followed up by him setting up Martinelli in the box shows what type of player he is. Super dangerous when he's able to close in on central positions coming from the right, adept at linking up the striker with passes from that spot or going further toward the center scoring himself.

He's very similar to Mo Salah in what he prefers to do and what he excels at. Obviously not the same level, but that's the way his talents are best utilized.

0_mosalah201718.jpg

This is Salah's heatmap from the 17-18 season. His hottest locations are those more center-right areas and that's where he's at his most productive. Pépé is much the same, but most of the time he gets the ball all the way down at the flank, or close to the halfway line. We just can't overload in a way that gives the ball to Pépé in that center-right position across the box. Not having a RB that can overlap is a significant reason why, it forces Pépé to provide width by sticking to the flank and his only way of moving to more central positions are by taking on multiple players. He's skilled enough to be able to pull it off sometimes, but most of the time it results in him either losing the ball, or attempting a shot from far out that hits a player. Taking shots from far out isn't his game either, his goals at Lille came almost exclusively from inside the box, most of them around the penalty spot.

The only game this season where I saw Pépé have opportunities to play centrally enough to find himself near the penalty spot was the Liverpool game at home where he started next to Aubameyang in a 4-3-1-2. He did squander the opportunities he got in that one, but it was his most Lille-like performance. Even that one was more counter-attack heavy anyway, not really a case where overloading gave Pépé those opportunities.

Optimizing Pépé is important imo, not just because he's a huge investment, but because he's definitely the most skilled player on the team and one that can elevate the team to a different level.

I don’t think Arteta wants fullbacks overlapping. I think he’d have them crossing from deeper and supporting possession in midfield. Salah does many diagonal runs across the penalty box and I think that’s something Pepe could try.
Underlapping the wings instead of overlapping.

Bloodbather

Established Member

I don’t think Arteta wants fullbacks overlapping. I think he’d have them crossing from deeper and supporting possession in midfield. Salah does many diagonal runs across the penalty box and I think that’s something Pepe could try.
Underlapping the wings instead of overlapping.

I think so too, because that's the Guardiola way of doing things. Arteta will need to figure out a compromise in order to maximize the potential he has on his hands.

Our wings are built in a very non-Arteta, or rather, non-Guardiola manner, and that presents a challenge. Emery's vision for the wing positions was entirely different, he wanted full-backs overlapping constantly and wingers being able to cut in. Both Tierney and Pépé were signings that fit that mold. Now with Emery gone, both the manager and the players will need to adapt somehow.

One compromise I can think of is having the full-backs who support the midfield by cutting in and the wingers who provide width on the flanks exchange their positions with give-and-goes or forming triangles with a different player nearby, either the striker coming a bit deeper or a different midfielder approaching the action. Can't draw a diagram, but think of AMN on the ball in the central position, Pépé out on the flank - Pépé gets closer to AMN, AMN passes to Pépé and runs to flank for an overlapping position, Pépé moves to a more central position and so it goes. Or #6 or #9 moving closer to AMN to get involved in the same build-up, with one additional step in the process.

Last edited:

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
Super dangerous. Should have had a few assists, and we're not talking run of the mill passes. Imagine if he had someone other than just Martinelli to work with...

samshere

Why so serieuse?
What is it about him that makes refs not give calls in his favour? Does the way he go down seem too theatrical?

Bloodbather

Established Member

Super dangerous. Should have had a few assists, and we're not talking run of the mill passes. Imagine if he had someone other than just Martinelli to work with...

I feel like he could've scored a goal in that two-man action with Martinelli after he dribbled past two players had Martinelli seen his run toward the penalty spot. That was the type of goal he scored frequently at Lille. That particular action really gave us glimpses what a RW Pépé - CF Martinelli partnership could be, imo.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
:lol:
people are so quick throwing players under the bus

Yeah but you lot have way too much patience, you need like 4 seasons of mediocre performances before you admit it. No one can objectively watch Pepe play football this season and say he was worth the £72 million we spent on him.

The reason we're 10th is because these players are bums, you lot will turn on managers quickly but cut players way too much slack.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
Yeah but you lot have way too much patience, you need like 4 seasons of mediocre performances before you admit it. No one can objectively watch Pepe play football this season and say he was worth the £72 million we spent on him.

The reason we're 10th is because these players are bums, you lot will turn on managers quickly but cut players way too much slack.

Some players take time, Nico is starting to find his stride. The reason we are tenth are a combination of Emery being out of his depth and a lot of players underperforming, yes.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Some players take time, Nico is starting to find his stride. The reason we are tenth are a combination of Emery being out of his depth and a lot of players underperforming, yes.

Yeah and I'm sure Lacazette is also finding his stride, you lot don't know how to judge players. Just pick a favourite and defend them to the hilt.

Pepe has been a disappointment, no one can objectively deny it.

Bloodbather

Established Member

There's this one former Arsenal attacker that arrived from France and failed to score in first eight games and failed to impress in his first couple of months. Some "admitted" that he was a flop back then, I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom