• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
200.gif

I could understand calling Laca a flop at this stage, bit early to be writing off Pepe though don't you think?

I very much doubt he will reach Henry's level, but Pepe does have something about him, think he will be very good for us...don't look at his price too much, the money in the game has been ridiculous recently.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I could understand calling Laca a flop at this stage, bit early to be writing off Pepe though don't you think?

I very much doubt he will reach Henry's level, but Pepe does have something about him, think he will be very good for us...don't look at his price too much, the money in the game has been ridiculous recently.

I don't really believe in having lots of patience, sometimes you can just tell how a player is by watching them you don't need years I wrote off Lacazette after watching him for 6 months and only now are people starting to realise he isn't good enough or an improvement on Giroud. Özil in my opinion was never worth the money we spent on him either.

We never sign players that make us better, how much money have we spent over the years and we just keep getting worse? Look at how Liverpool bought guys like VVD, Robertson, Mane and they came in and instantly made their team better. Hell you can even see the direct improvement AWB and Harry Macguire have made at United, Soyuncu at Leicester etc.

Really David Luiz has been the only improvement we've signed, I can only really think of him and Aubameyang as players we've signed that has been an improvement over the last 5 or so years.

Bloodbather

Established Member

I very much doubt he will reach Henry's level,

That's not the point of that example though, is it? The point is, Henry is a glaring and downright aggressive example of how misleading writing players off too soon can be. An Arsenal fan should know better.

Soyuncu at Leicester etc.

Ironic of you to point out an example that you think supports your argument but actually does the opposite. Leicester bought Söyüncü the previous summer and he was very unimpressive throughout his first season. Unimpressive enough that you seem to have forgotten he was there at all. He was behind Wes Morgan in the pecking order and most Leicester fans considered him a flop.

BigPoppaPump

Ironic of you to point out an example that you think supports your argument but actually does the opposite. Leicester bought Söyüncü the previous summer and he was very unimpressive throughout his first season. Unimpressive enough that you seem to have forgotten he was there at all. He was behind Wes Morgan in the pecking order and most Leicester fans considered him a flop.

Whatever, Pepe hasn't improved us at all and is probably a step down from having both Iwobi and Mkhitaryan. Your reply doesn't change that point.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Calling him a flop after half a season is a bit extreme, to say he is a disappointment so far isn't.

BigPoppaPump

don't look at his price too much, the money in the game has been ridiculous recently.

We can't afford to do that, we're not Chelsea or City with unlimited money. Buying this guy means we can't improve in other more pertinent areas. We're gonna be frustrated next summer because we spent all our money on guys like Tierney and Pepe who haven't shown up this season.

BigPoppaPump

Calling him a flop after half a season is a bit extreme, to say he is a disappointment so far isn't.

When you sign a player for big money people do a lot of mental gymnastics to justify their form. It happened a lot with Özil and Lacazette, now it's happening with Pepe. I've seen it before plenty of times.

No one can say he was worth the 72 million, if we never signed him and kept Iwobi and Mkhitarayn would it make much of a difference? We'd probably be better tbh.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
Why does a judgement of whether or not he was worth 72m or not have to come in the middle of a season?

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Even if not firing at the mo I enjoy watching him. Makes games more exciting just like the Brazilian kid.

Other than those two the team so ****ing boring even if players like Auba super efficient & Leno playing at a good level.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

When you sign a player for big money people do a lot of mental gymnastics to justify their form. It happened a lot with Özil and Lacazette, now it's happening with Pepe. I've seen it before plenty of times.

No one can say he was worth the 72 million, if we never signed him and kept Iwobi and Mkhitarayn would it make much of a difference? We'd probably be better tbh.

His form last season justifies a very large chunk of his fee, we probably did over spend but not by massive amounts when you look at todays prices. Also of course you want him to come in and start smashing it straight away with that fee but sometimes players just don't adapt quick.

You're right though, it probably wouldn't make much a difference to our season if we kept Iwobi and Mhki, but those players have no potential whatsoever. Pepe, as much as I know you don't believe it, could become a world beater next year, and continue to improve.

I just think writing him off already is silly, but being disappointed is fair.

BigPoppaPump

His form last season justifies a very large chunk of his fee, we probably did over spend but not by massive amounts when you look at todays prices. Also of course you want him to come in and start smashing it straight away with that fee but sometimes players just don't adapt quick.

You're right though, it probably wouldn't make much a difference to our season if we kept Iwobi and Mhki, but those players have no potential whatsoever. Pepe, as much as I know you don't believe it, could become a world beater next year, and continue to improve.

I just think writing him off already is silly, but being disappointed is fair.

And he could not improve and be how he is now next season, we don’t know. I knew Auba was gonna be an upgrade.

I care more about Arsenal getting better than one players potential, that’s been the story for so many players the last 15 years or so. How long can you lot believe in potential for?

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

And he could not improve and be how he is now next season, we don’t know. I knew Auba was gonna be an upgrade.

I care more about Arsenal getting better than one players potential, that’s been the story for so many players the last 15 years or so. How long can you lot believe in potential for?

Yeah but that's pretty much football in a nutshell, there are very rarely any guarantees. We spent 70M on him in hope he can start replicating the numbers he did at Lille.

Everyone wants Arsenal to get better and slowly but surely under Arteta we are getting better, in the mean time I'm hoping a guy like Pepe is doing all he can to improve himself as well.

I'll believe in a guys potential much longer than half a season where we had a manager who can barely communicate, dropped him in and out the team and a set of players who gave up on their manager until he got sacked.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On

Napoli bid a similar amount, but he chose us. That's why he cost so much. He was in demand after having a superb season.

He hasn't been a success so far, but who has, we're sitting 10th ffs. We're a complete mess. What do you except a new player to do? He has clearly shown promise, that you can't deny, surely? With the team becoming more consistent in all aspects of the game, he'll profit from that and hopefully go on to show his talent.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Napoli bid a similar amount, but he chose us. That's why he cost so much. He was in demand after having a superb season.

He hasn't been a success so far, but who has, we're sitting 10th ffs. We're a complete mess. What do you except a new player to do? He has clearly shown promise, that you can't deny, surely? With the team becoming more consistent in all aspects of the game, he'll profit from that and hopefully go on to show his talent.

When you make a player your club record signing then it's not enough for a player to show promise...... you pay big money for a player so that he can be the ace of the team, the guy to take your team to the next level. You do not need to pay too much money just for players to show promise, Martinelli has shown more promise than Pepe while costing nothing in comparison. ATM I see little evidence that our best starting XI involves Pepe, and next summer we could very well have to find someone who can do a better job than Pepe in the right wing.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

When you make a player your club record signing then it's not enough for a player to show promise...... you pay big money for a player so that he can be the ace of the team, the guy to take your team to the next level. You do not need to pay too much money just for players to show promise, Martinelli has shown more promise than Pepe while costing nothing in comparison. ATM I see little evidence that our best starting XI involves Pepe, and next summer we could very well have to find someone who can do a better job than Pepe in the right wing.

Players are an investment though, you sign them for different reasons. Just because a club record signing hasn't taken us to the next level yet doesn't he never will. If we started the season with VVD at CB I can safely bet we wouldn't be much better off because it was apparent Emery just didn't know what he wanted and the players didn't understand him.

It's so rare for one player to take a team up a level, that's the Messi/Ronaldo bracket.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On

He can still be the ace of the team. He's signed here for 5 years, not for 5 months under which we've been absolutely ****.

Of course our best starting XI involves him ffs. Who else is there? Yeah spending more money on his position when the rest of the team is a joke will solve that. What a great idea. :lol:

chessygoal

Pepe is underperforming, no doubt about that.
But one thing that probably hurts him is the lack of players around him to combine with short pass and movement.
Last year he played very close to Ikone, Remy and Bamba, he rarely went on solo runs and most of his good attacking movements came from quick 1-2 after having eliminated an opponent 1v1.
Chemistry between Pepe, Özil and Laca isn't there yet, and I hope we'll continue playing them together for a few games, they might all clic at some point. At least that's my hope if we want to unleash Pepe's huge potential.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Pepe is underperforming, no doubt about that.
But one thing that probably hurts him is the lack of players around him to combine with short pass and movement.
Last year he played very close to Ikone, Remy and Bamba, he rarely went on solo runs and most of his good attacking movements came from quick 1-2 after having eliminated an opponent 1v1.
Chemistry between Pepe, Özil and Laca isn't there yet, and I hope we'll continue playing them together for a few games, they might all clic at some point. At least that's my hope if we want to unleash Pepe's huge potential.
That's correct, but Lacazette and Özil need to be replaced for it to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom