• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Kia Joorabchian's Transfer Targets: January 2020

Which area of the pitch is the biggest priority to improve in January?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Therein lies our problem. This is actually frighteningly similar to last season's top 4 battle where every participant (bar City & Liverpool) conspired to throw it away & the last 2 entrants ended up doing so by virtue of being less crap than the other 2 :lol:

Last season was truly amazing. I spoke about it often in the final weeks. It truly was as though every team was trying to avoid the top 4 and Arsenal just managed to do a little bit better job of it. :lol:

We can only hope that it gets really close in the end and the other clubs do a better job this time. :D

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Not really when you think about it. If Arsenal beats Chelsea, they'll be 7 points behind with 14 games to play. That's certainly not insurmountable. United and Sp**s have been just about as crappy as Arsenal. It's unlikely, but if Arteta can really get Arsenal on a roll they have a chance. But they need to not only win this game, but stop giving away points.

I keep thinking this same thing, the moment Arteta took over and our game improved the hope came back, then we keep bloody drawing games.

I still have hope as these draws could be turned into wins easily if we start killing games.

But I have this feeling it will eventually become mathematically impossible after we throw away chance after chance.

Upside is atleast we arent losing these games which I imagine we would be still under Emery.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Hopefully for some positions we are looking close to home. Dendonker, McGinn, Grealish, Cantwell, Ake and im sure there are others worth mentioning.

Not necessarily a wishlist but more so an idea that our big money signing failed to hit the ground running. Would another closer to home have had the same problem?

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Hopefully for some positions we are looking close to home. Dendonker, McGinn, Grealish, Cantwell, Ake and im sure there are others worth mentioning.

Not necessarily a wishlist but more so an idea that our big money signing failed to hit the ground running. Would another closer to home have had the same problem?
Grealish would be on my wishlist, would be happy with Ake too.

Malky

Established Member

Some of those names people will turn their noses up at, but when Liverpool were in the process of building the force they've become signing players within the league was what they were doing - Milner, Roberston, Mane, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum, etc. All bought within the league and all still crucial players in their squad.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Read these quotes from an interview with Sven Misintlat from this summer

“We had different approaches,” he added. “Previously we had a strong systematic approach to transfers, a mixture of watching things live as well as quality data and video analysis – Arsenal actually owns their own data company.

“That meant that we acted independently, we knew about all markets and players in all positions that came into question.

“However, the new leadership work more strongly with what they are offered from clubs or agents through their own networks."

Worrying if true.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist

There's certainly something to be said for that. BBC ran an article last year regarding a study about how long it takes players from other leagues, on average, to settle in, broken down by position. For instance, a midfielder from Germany usually hits the ground running, but a forward from France -- like Pepe -- generally takes about 18 weeks.

Obviously, if you can fill in your squad with players who are already experienced in the Premier League, there's no settling in period.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
Read these quotes from an interview with Sven Misintlat from this summer

“We had different approaches,” he added. “Previously we had a strong systematic approach to transfers, a mixture of watching things live as well as quality data and video analysis – Arsenal actually owns their own data company.

“That meant that we acted independently, we knew about all markets and players in all positions that came into question.

“However, the new leadership work more strongly with what they are offered from clubs or agents through their own networks."

Worrying if true.

It would be worrying if the prior approach was working but it's not as if that model brought us sustained success or players which have tore up trees.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
It would be worrying if the prior approach was working but it's not as if that model brought us sustained success or players which have tore up trees.
I'm thinking this was when sven was working there. Not necessarily before that. Pretty stats was basically nonexistant back in 2002 when reviewing players. Except maybe goals/assists. It's quite new in sport if you compare to how long it's been here.

Either way. Going on an agents/a clubs recommendation is the biggest lul i've heard. "Hey buy my guy for a billion so i get money, alterior motive? no fam."

benjamin86

Established Member
Some of those names people will turn their noses up at, but when Liverpool were in the process of building the force they've become signing players within the league was what they were doing - Milner, Roberston, Mane, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum, etc. All bought within the league and all still crucial players in their squad.
Man Utd also bought players from within the league Mata, Matic, Shaw, Young, Maguire, Wan Bissaka....

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐

Its defo what seem to be whats happening now but Sven sure did go after players he knew... & with that agents he dealt with before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom