• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Kia Joorabchian's Transfer Targets: January 2020

Which area of the pitch is the biggest priority to improve in January?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Man Utd also bought players from within the league Mata, Matic, Shaw, Young, Maguire, Wan Bissaka....

Exactly, this whole 'buy proven Premiership players' thing is in fashion because Liverpool are successful at the moment. Man City have been phenomenal for 2 seasons with barely any Premiership signings.

Good players are good players wherever they come from.

benjamin86

Established Member
Exactly, this whole 'buy proven Premiership players' thing is in fashion because Liverpool are successful at the moment. Man City have been phenomenal for 2 seasons with barely any Premiership signings.

I don't mind buying from UK teams but Premiership teams will overcharge you. Championship or just relegated teams you can get some value from. (Robertson and Wijnaldum were both from relegated teams).

TornadoTed

Established Member
I don't mind buying from UK teams but Premiership teams will overcharge you. Championship or just relegated teams you can get some value from. (Robertson and Wijnaldum were both from relegated teams).

Totally agree, you can get some decent value for money from the relegated teams, should be some good players available this summer.

I have nothing against buying from the UK but the idea that it is the key to instant success is laughable, it is just one market of many.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Man Utd also bought players from within the league Mata, Matic, Shaw, Young, Maguire, Wan Bissaka....
Rio Ferdinand, Rooney, Cole, Yorke, Keane, Cantona, Carrick and I'm sure there are others from that united team that dominated English football for the best part of 20 years.

Weve brought in a lot of players from overseas whove taken time to find form or are still trying to find it. Its not a ludicrous suggestion to say actually signing some of the better players in the league may help us now.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Thats simply not true.

as I've posted above Uniteds early success was built on buying from within. From Keane and Cantona to Yorke and Cole to Rooney and Ferdinand. Chelsea went and got Ashley Cole, Damien Duff, Joe Cole, Frank Lampard, City went and bought Arsenal players over the years plus the likes of Given, Barry, Milner, Tevez then in later years Raheem Sterling, Kyle Walker, Mahrez and KDB (who has PL experience)

To say its because of Liverpool is either a lie you're deliberately telling or youre misinformed. Even Wenger went and brought in Sol Campbell who was a titan for us. Our current manager is regarded as one of Wengers better signings. Benayoun came in and offered much needed stability for a short period.

The Premier League era has been dominated by teams that successfully buy players with Premier League experience. That is a fact. Theyve brought in the best from elsewhere and the best in the league and been highly successful in doing so.

Also nobody said it would be an instant success however the odds of a good player use to the league being good in another team is higher as they know the culture, the football and the opposition.

Last edited:

benjamin86

Established Member
Rio Ferdinand, Rooney, Cole, Yorke, Keane, Cantona, Carrick and I'm sure there are others from that united team that dominated English football for the best part of 20 years.

Weve brought in a lot of players from overseas whove taken time to find form or are still trying to find it. Its not a ludicrous suggestion to say actually signing some of the better players in the league may help us now.
Names from 20 years ago hardly seem relevant, why not start bringing up players from the 1980s too? The players i brought up are all from last decade and how many would you say were worth their fee? The increase in premiership revenues in the last 10 years has created a wealth bubble in which the majority of players are over valued when compared to those outside the league. With it looking like we're unlikely to be in europe next season or have particularly large transfer budget, good luck convincing players to join and pay the required fees.

Last edited:

Names from 20 years ago hardly seem relevant, why not start bringing up players from the 1980s too? The players i brought up are all from last decade and how many would you say were worth their fee? The increase in premiership revenues in the last 10 years has created a wealth bubble in which the majority of players are over valued when compared to those outside the league. With it looking like we're unlikely to be in europe next season or have particularly large transfer budget, good luck convincing players to join and pay the required fees.

Do ypu disagree there are good players we can sign from PL?

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Hahahaha. Of course it's just because of Liveprool doing well.

When Leicester won the league you lot wanted Ranieri, and called him a genius and what not.

When Conte introduced 3/5 at the back, you lot wanted that.

When City played with quick wingers in Sane/Raheem, you lot wanted that.

Now ****typool has bought a couple of bums within the league, and conveniently enough, you lot want that.

Embarrassing how, always, this one criteria for success gets blown out of proportion. That's what we gotta do; that's all it takes. :lol:

Last edited:

Furious

Imagine actually mentioning the like of Cashley and KDB for buys within the league. Lmfao.

Cole was quality. Anyone with a chance of getting him goes for it... not to mention it was after Chelsea's main success - who had stocked up with an obscene amount of foreign players, and won the league twice.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Thats simply not true.

as I've posted above Uniteds early success was built on buying from within. From Keane and Cantona to Yorke and Cole to Rooney and Ferdinand. Chelsea went and got Ashley Cole, Damien Duff, Joe Cole, Frank Lampard, City went and bought Arsenal players over the years plus the likes of Given, Barry, Milner, Tevez then in later years Raheem Sterling, Kyle Walker, Mahrez and KDB (who has PL experience)

To say its because of Liverpool is either a lie you're deliberately telling or youre misinformed. Even Wenger went and brought in Sol Campbell who was a titan for us. Our current manager is regarded as one of Wengers better signings. Benayoun came in and offered much needed stability for a short period.

The Premier League era has been dominated by teams that successfully buy players with Premier League experience. That is a fact. Theyve brought in the best from elsewhere and the best in the league and been highly successful in doing so.

Also nobody said it would be an instant success however the odds of a good player use to the league being good in another team is higher as they know the culture, the football and the opposition.

You are right historically the best teams in the league have had a core of players signed from other Premiership clubs but I think it will get less and less as the years go by and the mid table teams get richer and richer.

United bought 'the best of the rest' last summer and got their pants pulled down for £130m for Wan Bissaka and Maguire.

Don't get me wrong I would love us to go out and sign Perreira, Dunk, Ndidi, Neves and Maddison this summer, players who would instantly come in and improve us but we don't have £300m+

The Premiership market is dead as far as I am concerned. The only value left in England and only realistic option for us without Champions League is the Championship and relegated teams.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
But how much were the likes of Rio, Rooney, Duff, Cole, SWP, even some of the players we sold to City? For their time think expensive deals as well. Never been cheap to buy domestically.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Now ****typool has bought a couple of bums within the league, and conveniently enough, you lot want that.

Van Dijk, Mane and Robertson are bums? :eek:

And for the record, while Ranieri deserved praise for what he did at Leicester, I never wanted him to coach Arsenal. I was never a fan of 3 at the back, even when Wenger did it. And what the hell is wrong with quick wingers? You'd rather have slow wingers? :confused:

Furious

Van Dijk, Mane and Robertson are bums? :eek:

And for the record, while Ranieri deserved praise for what he did at Leicester, I never wanted him to coach Arsenal. I was never a fan of 3 at the back, even when Wenger did it. And what the hell is wrong with quick wingers? You'd rather have slow wingers? :confused:

Nothing's wrong with any of it. There's more to these teams' successes than that one particular thing that always gets portrayed as what we've to do to be successful as well.

Arsenal has been using stats to support their decisions for years -- for better or worse. They own their own company that does this work.

Hasnt been working so far imo. It seems we forget to look into mentality and character with many of the players signed.

I read somewhere thah Pep investigate personality and mentality of player a lot before he want him signed. Maybe Arteta and Edu will bring that to the table for summer business.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Nothing's wrong with any of it. There's more to these teams' successes than that one particular thing that always gets portrayed as what we've to do to be successful as well.

But you can look at what other teams do well and emulate that to improve yourselves. I've been saying for a long time now that Arsenal needs to operate more like Liverpool. They've built what they have while spending less overall than Arsenal.

In the case of Mane and Robertson, they found bargains within the league that have paid off big. They also found bargains from outside the league, such as Salah. They've just been smarter than Arsenal for several years now. I don't think anyone is saying that it's one thing. But sometimes you can find one thing another team does that will work for you.

benjamin86

Established Member
Hasnt been working so far imo. It seems we forget to look into mentality and character with many of the players signed.

I read somewhere thah Pep investigate personality and mentality of player a lot before he want him signed. Maybe Arteta and Edu will bring that to the table for summer business.
I hope so too, i'd say it's one of the most important characteristic in signing players which we seem to have largely ignored. If there's something to copy from Liverpool it would be that, i look at most of there players and they'll work hard and play in any position asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom