• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Kia Joorabchian's Transfer Targets: January 2020

Which area of the pitch is the biggest priority to improve in January?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Hasnt been working so far imo. It seems we forget to look into mentality and character with many of the players signed.

I read somewhere thah Pep investigate personality and mentality of player a lot before he want him signed. Maybe Arteta and Edu will bring that to the table for summer business.

Yes, it's an important tool, but it can't replace good scouting. Cagigao used scouting and contacts to find Martinelli. It all needs to go hand in hand and I do hope Arteta and Edu find just the right mix.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
But you can look at what other teams do well and emulate that to improve yourselves. I've been saying for a long time now that Arsenal needs to operate more like Liverpool. They've built what they have while spending less overall than Arsenal.

In the case of Mane and Robertson, they found bargains within the league that have paid off big. They also found bargains from outside the league, such as Salah. They've just been smarter than Arsenal for several years now. I don't think anyone is saying that it's one thing. But sometimes you can find one thing another team does that will work for you.

Yeah you can, but given how often the recipe for success seems to change according to the preferred narrative on here, we'll get nowhere. :lol:

Buying within the league is expensive AF. we're way off squad building wise to buy that ready made world class player to put us up a level. ManU are a good example of that.

If we want to buy within the league, we firstly need to look within our own team, and look to improve with what we have and establish a core of what we realistically can use for the next couple of years. Perfect timing with our new manager. After that we can slowly start adding pieces, and hopefully eventually our own Van Dijk.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Arsenal has been using stats to support their decisions for years -- for better or worse. They own their own company that does this work.
Yes i know. Thats what was Said in the article. Youve missed the entire discussion i suppose?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Hahahaha. Of course it's just because of Liveprool doing well.

When Leicester won the league you lot wanted Ranieri, and called him a genius and what not.

When Conte introduced 3/5 at the back, you lot wanted that.

When City played with quick wingers in Sane/Raheem, you lot wanted that.

Now ****typool has bought a couple of bums within the league, and conveniently enough, you lot want that.

Embarrassing how, always, this one criteria for success gets blown out of proportion. That's what we gotta do; that's all it takes. :lol:

Those other approaches you’re talking about are flavour of the month fads.

A transfer policy like Liverpool isn’t revolutionary. It’s the model how all non petro clubs should operate. Good teams have done it for years, except we’ve gone away from that years ago.

They’ve bought players who’ve been undervalued and saved money for their main targets. When they couldn’t get van Dijk they didn’t panic and buy some 3rd rate CB, they waited Southampton out.

When Vardy turned us down we ended up panicking and wasting money on Lucas Perez.

Goonger

A transfer policy like Liverpool isn’t revolutionary. It’s the model how all non petro clubs should operate. Good teams have done it for years, except we’ve gone away from that years ago.

They’ve bought players who’ve been undervalued and saved money for their main targets. When they couldn’t get van Dijk they didn’t panic and buy some 3rd rate CB, they waited Southampton out.

When Vardy turned us down we ended up panicking and wasting money on Lucas Perez.

Get what your saying but using Vardy isn't a good example, as Klopp knew that Van Dijk wanted the move so could wait, or up the offer to a level acceptable to Southampton.

We got knocked back by Vardy, so had to find someone willing to come.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Yeah you can, but given how often the recipe for success seems to change according to the preferred narrative on here, we'll get nowhere. :lol:

Buying within the league is expensive AF. we're way off squad building wise to buy that ready made world class player to put us up a level. ManU are a good example of that.

If we want to buy within the league, we firstly need to look within our own team, and look to improve with what we have and establish a core of what we realistically can use for the next couple of years. Perfect timing with our new manager. After that we can slowly start adding pieces, and hopefully eventually our own Van Dijk.

But it's not all about Van Dijk and players of his ilk. It can be role players such as Henderson or Wijnaldum. Not every player you buy has to be a world class player. Sometimes it makes more sense to spend on a player who is proven in the league than to throw money at a Mustafi or an Elneny.

I realize it was an extremely unpopular rumor around here at the time, but when Arsenal bought Mustafi they could have had Jonny Evans for half the price. Leicester City ended up getting him in 2018 for £3.5 million (most Arsenal fans didn't want him even at that price). Now look how well he's playing for Leicester. He's better than what Arsenal has. Chelsea got Kante for way less than what Arsenal paid for Xhaka in the same window. Mane cost Liverpool about twice what Arsenal paid for Lucas Perez that summer, but who got the better bang for their buck?

You have to look for the right players wherever you find them. Just saying "Premier League players are too expensive" is too simplistic and limiting. If you can find the right players within the league and use them to build your squad, you're ahead of the game. You're also playing the odds. Fans love the big names and often tend to underrate those who play for lesser teams or aren't as well known (Liverpool was laughed at for buying Wijnaldum), but the league can be fertile ground for transfers if you know what you're doing.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
But it's not all about Van Dijk and players of his ilk. It can be role players such as Henderson or Wijnaldum. Not every player you buy has to be a world class player. Sometimes it makes more sense to spend on a player who is proven in the league than to throw money at a Mustafi or an Elneny.

I realize it was an extremely unpopular rumor around here at the time, but when Arsenal bought Mustafi they could have had Jonny Evans for half the price. Leicester City ended up getting him in 2018 for £3.5 million (most Arsenal fans didn't want him even at that price). Now look how well he's playing for Leicester. He's better than what Arsenal has. Chelsea got Kante for way less than what Arsenal paid for Xhaka in the same window. Mane cost Liverpool about twice what Arsenal paid for Lucas Perez that summer, but who got the better bang for their buck?

You have to look for the right players wherever you find them. Just saying "Premier League players are too expensive" is too simplistic and limiting. If you can find the right players within the league and use them to build your squad, you're ahead of the game. You're also playing the odds. Fans love the big names and often tend to underrate those who play for lesser teams or aren't as well known (Liverpool was laughed at for buying Wijnaldum), but the league can be fertile ground for transfers if you know what you're doing.

I didn't say we shouldn't buy at all within the league, did I?

Easy to look back now and compare a successful team with an unsuccessful one.

Besides players like Wijnaldum are still nothing special, they're a part of something bigger that Klopp has build over a couple of years now. Easily replaceable by Milner/Ox/whatever. Even without Fabinho they just go on about thier business.

A player like Henderson could easily be found within our own squad. As I said, we have new manager, and it will take time to build a great squad, let's give him a couple of years, support him and see where it gets us.

Reactions: roz

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Embarrassing how, always, this one criteria for success gets blown out of proportion. That's what we gotta do; that's all it takes. :lol:
Nobody has said that. And from my point I've said it may help us bringing in players that will hit the ground running not that it would be a silver bullet and cure all our ills of which there are many.

Buying from within the league is harder than it has been because relegation is so expensive. Hence the demand for big fees from clubs who may be selling a player with the potential to keep them in the league thus recouping their fee many times over.

Fwiw our best signing this season was Martinelli a 7m signing from Brazil. Not the 70m winger or the 25m British based player (although Tierney will show his value)

D

Dial Square 1886

Very good post.

People crying when we were linked with Milner after City as well.

Would have been rock solid for us.

Highbury_2006

Village Idiot
8 days left and the despicable w@nker Raul Sanllehi and his worthless friend Edu hasnt done anything to make the squad better. Get both of them out of the club.

Thist thread is a boring mess right now btw.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Unbelievably underrated player, possibly Englands biggest waste of talent.

Nah, I think that's Michael Carrick. Carrick literally never played in any important games even when he was racking up the PL's for United, winning a CL, reaching two other CL finals as United's main midfielder for about a decade. Never seen such a waste of a talent, meanwhile successive England managers were more worried about trying to play Lampard and Gerrard in a double pivot together.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Nah, I think that's Michael Carrick. Carrick literally never played in any important games even when he was racking up the PL's for United, winning a CL, reaching two other CL finals as United's main midfielder for about a decade. Never seen such a waste of a talent, meanwhile successive England managers were more worried about trying to play Lampard and Gerrard in a double pivot together.

All the managers bottled the Lampard-Gerrard issue. Could only really play one.

A midfield three of Hargreaves/Carrick/Lampard had the perfect balance.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Hahahaha. Of course it's just because of Liveprool doing well.

When Leicester won the league you lot wanted Ranieri, and called him a genius and what not.

When Conte introduced 3/5 at the back, you lot wanted that.

When City played with quick wingers in Sane/Raheem, you lot wanted that.

Now ****typool has bought a couple of bums within the league, and conveniently enough, you lot want that.

So I think there's a balance to be struck between foreign and domestic talent (obviously we have a quota to meet). I think rather than jealousy and envy or opportunistic which I believe you to be alluding, I think we all want this club to be objective and win again. Making observations off these different elements and encouraging this club to act and frankly can you blame that? We had baldy saying we were going to the Bayern Munich of England and we've been pedestrian ever since.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Agreed. I feel we definitely have been a lot more reactionary than responsive in our approach.

roz

Fake News Merchant
Think a scholes was tbh
Gazza was the most talented Englishman Ive seen In my lifetime
Scholes is probably the standout choice but for me James Milner is the complete player. Scholes had limitations, couldn’t tackle, poor in the air which he made up for easily being exceptional in almost every other area.
Milner can do it all, reckon you could play him anywhere other than GK and he’d be excellent.
Not a single weakness in his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom