• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Going to be a very interesting summer this year. Euros are on though so it will likely also be very frustrating transfer wise.

I just dont see us ****ing around and the Euros gives me more of a reason to believe so.

I cant see us ****ing around anymore honestly. I'd be surprised if come end of the summer window we havent done enough.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

I can see the best we can hope for is 6th or 7th. By the way there is a very real chance Liverpool lift the trophy at the Emirates

Manberg

Predator
Klopp's winning formula shows you don't need to sign the biggest names or most talented footballers for success. Sign players who'll be a perfect fit in your system. I hope Arteta can emulate that in the summer. Although, Pepe and Özil don't fit in well.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

href="
Really interesting article where he talks about how Auba can probably keep his speed for a few more years , Xhaka is Captaincy material ,amongst the reasons "he's not afraid to have difficult conversations with players and staff " and he insists Özil can transition to a high intensity game as his running numbers including sprint speed are elite in the league and clashing with Emery's strength and conditioning staff.

Nevertheless, Burgess’s results remained good. “By all objective measures, things were even better than the first year”, he says. According to Opta, Arsenal players covered 4310.14km in 2018-19 — the most of any Premier League team. Crucially, their high speed running was similarly intense. It was particularly satisfying to achieve these results with a squad not renowned for their physicality.

The inevitable question is whether Aubameyang, who turns 31 in the summer, can maintain that level of performance. “Look,” Burgess replies, “time catches up with everybody but when you’re Auba, when you’re Jamie Vardy (the Leicester City striker is already 33)… when you’re these people, you can hold on to it and still be above-average for a lot longer.”

In his mind, there’s no question over whether Özil has the capacity to adapt to a high-intensity game: “Mesut is much-maligned physically, but there were many games where his running numbers — and I’m talking high-speed numbers, not just distance but high-speed numbers — were among the elite in the competition. So he’s certainly capable of doing it…”

Last edited:

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
I still believe believe top 4 is doable under Arteta. Man utd's top scorer, Chelsea's top scorer and even Sp**s' top scorer all have medium term injuries (with rashford most likely out for the rest of the season). We can capitalize on it.

Yeah unlike most I don’t think top 4 is gone. Simply because all our “rivals” are equally as inconsistent as us. We simply need to turn these draws into wins and we’ll soon be in the conversation.

A 3/4 game winning run could make all the difference.

Went on to google to check the Premier League table as I was curious to see how many goals we've conceded & was absolutely gobsmacked to see that we've only won 6 games so far this season!! The only teams worse than us are Watford & Norwich in 19/20 places respectively.

Astounding & alarming at equal rate, the only reason we're not lower in the table is the ridiculous number of draws we have. We're in a state I can only remember in that dreadful Bruce Rioch campaign & even then, at times it wasn't as bad as this.

With 24 games gone and only 30 points to show for (only 1.25 pts per game), we have to forget that we stand a chance to reach 4th.

With only 42 points left to play for, even if we improve our form, at best we're not looking at more than 50-55 points total this season.

The fewest points to get Top 4 in PL era was way back in 2003-04 for Liverpool with 60 points

Season​
4th place​
Arsenal points​
Arsenal position​
1992-93​
71​
56​
10​
1993-94​
71​
71​
4​
1994-95​
74​
51​
12​
1995-96​
63​
63​
5​
1996-97​
68​
68​
3​
1997-98​
63​
78​
1​
1998-99​
79​
78​
2​
1999-00​
67​
73​
2​
2000-01​
68​
70​
2​
2001-02​
71​
87​
1​
2002-03​
67​
78​
2​
2003-04​
60​
90​
1​
2004-05​
61​
83​
2​
2005-06​
67​
67​
4​
2006-07​
68​
68​
4​
2007-08​
76​
83​
3​
2008-09​
72​
72​
4​
2009-10​
70​
75​
3​
2010-11​
68​
68​
4​
2011-12​
69​
70​
3​
2012-13​
73​
73​
4​
2013-14​
79​
79​
4​
2014-15​
70​
75​
3​
2015-16​
66​
71​
2​
2016-17​
76​
75​
5​
2017-18​
75​
63​
6​
2018-19​
71​
70​
5​

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
We can say top 4 finish goodbye anyway, just hope Arteta can win the Europa League so we still can play CL next year, but will be difficult with a lot of good teams in it Inter Ajax etc.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
If there was justice, City would be banned for at least a year now and 5th place would mean CL for us.

It's overdue, but I just can't see it despite the new events coming up just now.

goonergaz

With 24 games gone and only 30 points to show for (only 1.25 pts per game), we have to forget that we stand a chance to reach 4th.

With only 42 points left to play for, even if we improve our form, at best we're not looking at more than 50-55 points total this season.

The fewest points to get Top 4 in PL era was way back in 2003-04 for Liverpool with 60 points

Season​
4th place​
Arsenal points​
Arsenal position​
1992-93​
71​
56​
10​
1993-94​
71​
71​
4​
1994-95​
74​
51​
12​
1995-96​
63​
63​
5​
1996-97​
68​
68​
3​
1997-98​
63​
78​
1​
1998-99​
79​
78​
2​
1999-00​
67​
73​
2​
2000-01​
68​
70​
2​
2001-02​
71​
87​
1​
2002-03​
67​
78​
2​
2003-04​
60​
90​
1​
2004-05​
61​
83​
2​
2005-06​
67​
67​
4​
2006-07​
68​
68​
4​
2007-08​
76​
83​
3​
2008-09​
72​
72​
4​
2009-10​
70​
75​
3​
2010-11​
68​
68​
4​
2011-12​
69​
70​
3​
2012-13​
73​
73​
4​
2013-14​
79​
79​
4​
2014-15​
70​
75​
3​
2015-16​
66​
71​
2​
2016-17​
76​
75​
5​
2017-18​
75​
63​
6​
2018-19​
71​
70​
5​

History doesn't really matter, this season is a totally different ball game (pun intended). It's never been so close between 'the rest of the teams' - check out last season;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46847685

4th had 47 pts (7 more) and 20th had 11 pts (6 less) - that's a 13 point difference. As pointed out, our main threats are Chavs, Spuds and Manure;

Chavs; inconsistent, too much inexperience, potential injury to TA
Spuds; inconsistent, talk of issues in dressing room, lost Kane, losing Ericson
Manure; inconsistent, Olly & WW issues, injury to best player, etc

Personally I think Chavs will keep top 4, but there's a chance and we should never say never until it's mathmatically impossible.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
History doesn't really matter, this season is a totally different ball game (pun intended). It's never been so close between 'the rest of the teams' - check out last season;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46847685

4th had 47 pts (7 more) and 20th had 11 pts (6 less) - that's a 13 point difference. As pointed out, our main threats are Chavs, Spuds and Manure;

Chavs; inconsistent, too much inexperience, potential injury to TA
Spuds; inconsistent, talk of issues in dressing room, lost Kane, losing Ericson
Manure; inconsistent, Olly & WW issues, injury to best player, etc

Personally I think Chavs will keep top 4, but there's a chance and we should never say never until it's mathmatically impossible.

Of course we should never say never, but you cannot expect a miracle that we can gatecrash through all the teams and from 10-th position with a 10 point difference to 4th, we can finish up there come May.
With the way this season has gone, I would say we only have about 0.1 % chance of making it.

Although other teams have problems with strikers, we have a lot of our own problems too. They will not be in such a terrible form that they drop points for fun, while we're still struggling to win games. We still have a negative goal difference, we've only won 6 games ffs and we're almost in February.

We need to be realistic.

goonergaz

Of course we should never say never, but you cannot expect a miracle that we can gatecrash through all the teams and from 10-th position with a 10 point difference to 4th, we can finish up there come May.
With the way this season has gone, I would say we only have about 0.1 % chance of making it.

Although other teams have problems with strikers, we have a lot of our own problems too. They will not be in such a terrible form that they drop points for fun, while we're still struggling to win games. We still have a negative goal difference, we've only won 6 games ffs and we're almost in February.

We need to be realistic.

https://footballbh.net/2019/12/02/five-of-the-greatest-comebacks-in-premier-league-history/

History is there to be made.

No-one thought it was realistic to go a whole season unbeaten (some even laughed at Wenger for suggesting it the season before we did it).

At this stage in the season (I checked) it's usually 47/46 pts for 4th place, this season is different...I'm not saying it will happen, but just that it could happen...no-one had beaten Liverpool at home by 2 clear goals for something like 3 years before that famous night...it's what makes football so great, like when Leicester won it and no-one gave them a chance.

And the examples above are a mere few examples of the many out there.

Jasard

Anyone else not really feeling the hype from that 2-2 draw? I don't mean in terms of Arteta - just generally. For me it's overshadowed yet another massive mistake.

Really weird season, literally a mid table squad celebrating draws with the mighty Chelsea. Feel very wrong for me.

goonergaz

Anyone else not really feeling the hype from that 2-2 draw? I don't mean in terms of Arteta - just generally. For me it's overshadowed yet another massive mistake.

Really weird season, literally a mid table squad celebrating draws with the mighty Chelsea. Feel very wrong for me.

Any team. ANY would have celebrated that result.

You're away, in a derby, with a man less, frankly expecting to be spanked after that pen went in, then expecting to lose after going 2-1 down with not long left...somehow you get a draw.

The bonus is that instead of being 13 points from 4th you're 10...it's still a glimmer of something to aim for.

Either way, I've seen it plenty times by many other teams.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

...his face when Mustafi gave the ball away for the pen...

tenor.gif

:rofl:

Last edited:

Jasard

Any team. ANY would have celebrated that result.

You're away, in a derby, with a man less, frankly expecting to be spanked after that pen went in, then expecting to lose after going 2-1 down with not long left...somehow you get a draw.

The bonus is that instead of being 13 points from 4th you're 10...it's still a glimmer of something to aim for.

Either way, I've seen it plenty times by many other teams.

Dont get me wrong I celebrated but I've listened to a couple of podcasts where they've gone a bit over the top imo. Like it's a turning point but the fact remains that we still have some individuals that will play most of our remaining games who are simply not good enough.

Good chance we don't even get EL let alone top 4. These players that showed fight are the same that let us get in to this situation by letting so many games go past them.

Last edited:

Manberg

Predator

You said it yourself; a mid table squad. A mid table team will and should celebrate draws with Chelsea, because they're fourth in the table. We don't have the squad to dominate teams anymore so we ought to lower our expectations, otherwise we'll never be happy.

goonergaz

Dont get me wrong I celebrated but I've listened to a couple of podcasts where they've gone a bit over the top imo. Like it's a turning point but the fact remains that we still have some individuals that will play most of our remaining games who are simply not good enough.

Good chance we don't even get EL let alone top 4. These players that showed fight are the same that let us get in to this situation by letting so many games go past them.

The same players are at Southampton and Everton...what's your point?

As far as turning point goes, we had a slice of luck for once (the Kante slip), I think I said earlier sometimes you need a slice of luck - an off-target shot in off someones backside...just something to go your way to change the whole mindset.

Top Bottom