• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
We'll see.

I don't think Xhaka's physical and psychological attributes are best suited to midfield. I think his lack of pace and agility means he struggles more receiving the ball under pressure. I think he likes to see the game in front of him.

Arteta has been involved in a variety of conversions of player roles, such Delph to left back, Fernandinho to CB.

Moreso he lacks explosive speed
Id bet he is quicker over distance than more players in the team than you'd think!

Balboa

You’ll never win a hypothetical argument with anyone mate :p

There's very little hypothetical about the argument. It's there in writing what was implied about people who disagree, and "sanity" is a reasonable alternative to "sick in the head". Then wants to go over the word unimpeachable (used as an obvious sarcastic point of emphasis) with a fine tooth comb, then makes up that the original statement was about how "awful" Xhaka would be at CB, despite the word "awful" not having been used. Wants every word documented perfectly when it suits. Wants to make up stuff when it suits.:lol:

boyinneedofhumor

Any of our current CB options who plays high is susceptible. Just enough to be able to play the offside with not too big a gap behind for Leno to cover feels safer.

Xhaka can read the play in front of him and spray passes as a CB. It's his tackling near the penalty box that might be worrying.
I actually do predict that some manager might use him as a CB or LCB permanently in his twilight years. For now, I think he'll rather play there out of necessity rather than preference anyway.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

...was so excited after this performance from him...even though I don't think he suits the league, and after all that's happened think he should be sold next season...I can admit he does have quality, I can understand why managers/fans want him to turn it around.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II

...was so excited after this performance from him...even though I don't think he suits the league, and after all that's happened think he should be sold next season...I can admit he does have quality, I can understand why managers/fans want him to turn it around.
Who was that guy? Receiving the ball, head up, boom. Teams don't let him do that anymore, tbf.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻

Good clips but he's in acres of space. Two clips of him diving into a tackle and missing but that team was much more mobile that the current crop. Now there's barely a pass to be picked.

Riou

Bit of that as well, which has put the rest of his game under scrutiny and highlighted flaws.

Sanchez was such a game changer for us, not to mention Özil was still very good back then too...but alas, Mustafi's was a starter that season, so we where doomed at some point.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
Sanchez was such a game changer for us, not to mention Özil was still very good back then too...but alas, Mustafi's was a starter that season, so we where doomed at some point.
A true talisman. Poaching, rifling home from 30 yards, headers, volleys... sublime assists... Dream ticket... if other areas do him justice. Which was where and why we fell short.

Riou

A true talisman. Poaching, rifling home from 30 yards, headers, volleys... sublime assists... Dream ticket... if other areas do him justice. Which was where and why we fell short.

My favourite Sanchez moment from that season is when we beat West Ham, Alexis scoring a hattrick...he then took a photo with all their ball boys, at THEIR stadium...that was ridiculous!

The equivalent of what Sanchez did that day was...sleep with someone's wife, then take a family picture with their son and daughter, while wearing a t-shirt that reads mother-****er...it was amazing :lol:

Last edited:

Balboa

Arsenal are badly lacking in leadership on the pitch. Xhaka is possibly the closest thing the Arsenal squad has to a leader. He cannot be allowed to leave until more leadership emerges in the squad. Arteta should insist that he stays next season while the squad rebuild continues....

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
My favourite Sanchez moment from that season is when we beat West Ham, Alexis scoring a hattrick...he then took a photo with all their ball boys, at THEIR stadium...that was ridiculous!

The equivalent of what Sanchez did that day was...sleep with someone's wife, then take a family picture with their son and daughter, while wearing a t-shirt that reads mother-****er...it was amazing :lol:
I went to that game. Used my brother in law's season ticket. West Ham is only a 15 minute walk away along the canal. I was in the West Ham end, obviously... Such fun! Best performance from a footballer I've ever seen in the flesh. We inexplicably went to sh!t after that game iirc.

Riou

I went to that game. Used my brother in law's season ticket. West Ham is only a 15 minute walk away along the canal. I was in the West Ham end, obviously... Such fun! Best performance from a footballer I've ever seen in the flesh. We inexplicably went to sh!t after that game iirc.

Not quite, we actually went top the weekend after this after beating Stoke at The Grove, my birthday weekend, then went to crap!

Lost away to Everton and City, and never recovered, despite Sanchez having a 35 goal/assist season in the league.

Last edited:

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
Not quite, we actually went top the weekend after this after beating Stoke at The Grove, my birthday game, then went to crap!

Lost away to Everton and City, and never recovered, despite Sanchez having a 35 goal/assist season in the league.
Yeah I just checked that. Results wise we never quite went to ****, but I remember thinking we didn't look the same and looked vulnerable. We got very inconsistent. Mullered by Bayern and we lost all the big games in the league after looking like we could win them and got some crap results again **** teams. Massive let down, that season.

Marjorie

Thread Monopolizer
Not quite, we actually went top the weekend after this after beating Stoke at The Grove, my birthday game, then went to crap!

An Everton team that was struggling under koeman at the time if my memory serves me right. Went ahead early on with a lucky goal before putting in a shocker for the rest of the game.

Riou

An Everton team that was struggling under koeman at the time if my memory serves me right. Went ahead early on with a lucky goal before putting in a shocker for the rest of the game.

Also this match had one of my fav ever Arsenal pictures, when Cech ended up in the wrong net briefly...

CzlsQoaW8AI0mC-.jpg

...love this club :lol:

Vantastico

When Xhaka makes a sideways lofted pass, which is an incredible decision in itself, and then loses it near the centre of the park, it causes our entire team to have to full-sprint-track-back to cover the empty spaces behind our high defensive line. And it kills our energy for the next 2 minutes which leads to the opposition gaining momentum by pressuring Mustafi, Sokratis or our GK to play the long ball into usually Laca or Auba.

If he offered a lot in different aspects I might give Xhaka a pass for this. But he doesn't seem to learn, does he? He does this act almost every game. Literally. Can't pass him the ball under pressure either because that's when he's most prone to make an error. Really poor.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
When Xhaka makes a sideways lofted pass, which is an incredible decision in itself, and then loses it near the centre of the park, it causes our entire team to have to full-sprint-track-back to cover the empty spaces behind our high defensive line. And it kills our energy for the next 2 minutes which leads to the opposition gaining momentum by pressuring Mustafi, Sokratis or our GK to play the long ball into usually Laca or Auba.

If he offered a lot in different aspects I might give Xhaka a pass for this. But he doesn't seem to learn, does he? He does this act almost every game. Literally. Can't pass him the ball under pressure either because that's when he's most prone to make an error. Really poor.
Dude I've been saying these same things for too long but we don't need to bash him today. He is crap but at least the team's playing good

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko

One (addmitingly switched off) mistake (where nothing came out of it), immediatly a TLDR post that its all hes doing and it immediatly cancels out what he did the last few games as well (in which he made plenty of good decisions even under pressure). Xhaka responsible for everything bad again.

Reading your post we would have immediatly scored in those 2 minutes as well (And ignoring that Bournemouth got stronger already before that mistake)

Every time. Thankfully Arteta doesn't see it this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom