• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Unpopular Opinion Thread

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
But look at the context.

CL: Alot of the top European teams have been struggling. Bayern went through a pretty bad patch last year, Barca and Real look built on quicksand. PSG... well they're PSG.

Similarly this season in the PL,traditional rivals who would normally be expected to run them close have failed badly.

City - incosistent with Pep seeming to lose interest at times.

Chelsea - inexperienced new manager hampered by the transfer ban and a lack of balls in the squad.

Utd- terrible manager. Poor squad after splashing the cash on dross.

Sp**s -Poch implosion carried forward into this year. Even more inconsistent now with a manager who seems to be losing it already.

Arsenal - need I say it? No full backs for an age. Torreira at no 10. Xhaka at Palace. Emery. We lost our minds.

Liverpool have taken advantage and are a fantastic side but no need lose the run of ourselves

In the invincable years Man United were the only competition, also Liverpool got 97 points last season and will probably get a tally in 90s too. You can't blame them for being better than everyone else.

Also we were the best team in Europe or at least top 3 in the early 2000s and have no European trophies to show for it. Liverpool have been in back to back CL finals winning one.

The invincible just don't live up to this Liverpool team I hate to say it but it's true. I feel like Klopp is the better manager too.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
In the invincable years Man United were the only competition, also Liverpool got 97 points last season and will probably get a tally in 90s too. You can't blame them for being better than everyone else.

Also we were the best team in Europe or at least top 3 in the early 2000s and have no European trophies to show for it. Liverpool have been in back to back CL finals winning one.

The invincible just don't live up to this Liverpool team I hate to say it but it's true. I feel like Klopp is the better manager too.

Agree with most of what you said, especially the bolded bit.

Liverpool are a great team...but don't forget, back then the game was even more physical than it is now, and teams where allowed to almost kill our players...refs favour Liverpool, refs where against us for daring to challenge Fergie's United.

Still should have been the first London team to win a European Cup, very disappointed in that.

BigPoppaPump

Liverpool are a great team...but don't forget, back then the game was even more physical than it is now, and teams where allowed to almost kill our players...refs favour Liverpool, refs where against us for daring to challenge Fergie's United.

Still should have been the first London team to win a European Cup, very disappointed in that.

We would give as good as we got back then though, it's not easy to kick around guys like Vieira or Bergkamp cos you'll get an elbow in the head. The oppositions players being allowed to kill us only proper started crippling us when we moved to the smaller weaker players in the Fabregas era.

I'm not sure what it was with Arsène in Europe but his domestic genius never translated to the CL, I'm not sure what it was but he could never get over that hurdle. Klopp seems to be the opposite and thrives there.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable

True, although no one gives a **** about or remembers Chelsea's win.

Riou

We would give as good as we got back then though, it's not easy to kick around guys like Vieira or Bergkamp cos you'll get an elbow in the head. The oppositions players being allowed to kill us only proper started crippling us when we moved to the smaller weaker players in the Fabregas era.

I'm not sure what it was with Arsène in Europe but his domestic genius never translated to the CL, I'm not sure what it was but he could never get over that hurdle. Klopp seems to be the opposite and thrives there.

We definitely got screwed at points by refs, even during our best era of 1996-2006...teams where just allowed to smash our players, while refs where always quite quick to card our boys.

Of course the refs only apply to not winning back to back titles, Europe was more on us...we had players like Henry and Vieira, who where the best in their positions at their peaks, and yet we could just never get over the line...98/99, 01/02, 03/04, 05/06...not winning one European Cup in those seasons, is quite amazing when you think of the players we had :lol: :(

BigPoppaPump

Of course the refs only apply to not winning back to back titles, Europe was more on us...we had players like Henry and Vieira, who where the best in their positions at their peaks, and yet we could just never get over the line...98/99, 01/02, 03/04, 05/06...not winning one European Cup in those seasons, is quite amazing when you think of the players we had :lol: :(

It was Arsène, he just wasn't the same man in Europe. Even going back to this decade and getting smoked by the Monaco's and AC Milans, bottling the Atletico semi finals and all those Bayern humiliations. Or in the 2000s when we'd get mopped by any English team we faced in the CL. It was like his kryptonite.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah

You are getting caught up in the moment with respect to Klopp v Wenger. I can argue that this Liverpool team would at least be equal to 03/04 but not that our managers are equal.

Arsène Wenger had the best team in Europe for 5 years, and his biggest sin was not performing more with this team, and he deserves criticsim for that. On top of this, he lost his best players almost every season, and with next to no money was able to build a Champions League quality team for the next 8 years.

On top of this, he fundamentally changed the game in England for the better. All the norms you take for granted today are massively influenced by our Frenchman.

Klopp comes nowhere close to the quality of Arsène Wenger, in style, in recruitment, in coaching, and most importantly with next to no help from the club.

Klopp deserves credit for winning the Champions League and League this season.

But Wenger's level is only matched by Ferguson in the game.

Last edited:

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II

Takii in my nothing away from from this Liverpool team, but they’re making the most of a poor league. The invincible a would have taken them apart. I want to rate their team highly but I just can’t. As little as they concede, I don’t even rate their defence and their midfield is just very functional.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Takii in my nothing away from from this Liverpool team, but they’re making the most of a poor league. The invincible a would have taken them apart. I want to rate their team highly but I just can’t. As little as they concede, I don’t even rate their defence and their midfield is just very functional.

I dont think the league is poor to be honest. There are now 7 teams who could state a claim for a top four spot from the beginning of a season. Further to this are there no "easy wins" anymore, with any team being able to lose to any opposition.

Looking at Europe, we had all English finals in both the Champions League and Europa League. If anything, the money pumped into England has shown results.

Liverpool are topping 100 points in such conditions, that is a magnificent achievement and they definitely deserve to be considered among the great sides.

BigPoppaPump

The league is much better now than it was back then, now all the teams are rich and buy the best players in Europe. Back then a lot of the teams in the PL would be championship level. Also Liverpool have 2 oil money clubs and Man United to compete with.

BigPoppaPump

On top of this, he fundamentally changed the game in England for the better. All the norms you take for granted today are massively influenced by our Frenchman.

Klopp comes nowhere close to the quality of Arsène Wenger, in style, in recruitment, in coaching, and most importantly with next to no help from the club.

Klopp deserves credit for winning the Champions League and League this season.

But Wenger's level is only matched by Ferguson in the game.

You definitely underrate Klopp, look what he did in Dortmund and Liverpool. His style is so fun to watch and organised I prefer it over Arsène's constantly passing the ball nowhere and letting the opposition team fill up their box.

There's many coaches that match up to Wenger you're just going over the top, he has 0 European trophies ffs. You're letting sentiment blind you. Hell I don't like Mourinho but he changed the game in England too with everyone switching from 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 after his Chelsea side dominated with that formation and won a CL with Porto.

Arsène was a great manager but he was also flawed.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I was a strong Wenger out guy in the second half of his reign but I feel like Wenger has accomplished more and made a bigger impact on world football than Klopp has.
Wenger has moulded more Worldclass players too.

Can absolutely be argued otherwise but for me as it stands Wenger > Klopp, but if things continue like this then yeah Klopp will overtake in terms of sheer success.

Riou

I was a strong Wenger out guy in the second half of his reign but I feel like Wenger has accomplished more and made a bigger impact on world football than Klopp has.
Wenger has moulded more Worldclass players too.

Can absolutely be argued otherwise but for me as it stands Wenger > Klopp, but if things continue like this then yeah Klopp will overtake in terms of sheer success.

Would say Wenger made a bigger positive impact overall in football than even someone as successful as Mourinho, Arsène’s impact was tremendous, people shouldn’t forget that.

BigPoppaPump

Would say Wenger made a bigger positive impact overall in football than even someone as successful as Mourinho, Arsène’s impact was tremendous, people shouldn’t forget that.

What exactly was his impact? I always hear about it and all people ever say is how he told them to stop eating mars bars.

roz

Fake News Merchant

Think what you said about teams being allowed to target us hurt me more than the lack of a european trophy tbh. It still winds me up to this day. Watch back the Game where united ended our unbeaten run and it makes me want to smash things. The amount of cheating and dirty fouls that go unpunished is just disgusting.

Riou

What exactly was his impact? I always hear about it and all people ever say is how he told them to stop eating mars bars.

The way he developed players, the style of play, the way we won trophies, the type of man he is and how he treats people...talking peak Arsène here, up to 2006...even going back to before Arsenal, Arsène made a massive impact on a man who became president of a country!

The rivalry with United adds to that aura, best rivalry in football history for me...from the late 90s to the early 00s, Arsenal and United was a war, like something out of a film.

Agree the likes of Klopp are better overall managers, but Arsène just had something special about him.

Last edited:

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
The league is much better now than it was back then, now all the teams are rich and buy the best players in Europe. Back then a lot of the teams in the PL would be championship level. Also Liverpool have 2 oil money clubs and Man United to compete with.

I know you enjoy nothing better than talking down the club, I get that. Don't understand but hey, to each their own.

Liverpool having to compete with United? Seriously? That's a Utd under Solskjaer and whose best player this year is probably Scott McTominay?

Or with Chelsea under Lampard who don't have an established striker?

A Tottenham who have imploded and thrown oil unto the fire by appointing Mourinho? Oh and who are losing Erikson.

Their competitors this year are Leicester who continue to impress but hardly attract best players in Europe and City who are completely off the boil and who despite having spent an incredible amount of cash this year look they have gaps in multiple areas?

Come on man, exagerration is your forte but at least make it somewhat realistic. Liverpool will win the canter, at times playing fantastic football but it's been helped by fact their nearest traditional rivals have all been in crisis mode at some stage this season.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom