• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Unpopular Opinion Thread

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Wow a response with someone not acting like a complete bi*ch? This is why I like you Riou you don't get emotional.

Still what you listed in the first paragraph is a bit intangible, like when Mourinho came in dominated with the 4-3-3 formation everyone in England switch from 4-4-2 to 4-3-3. Same thing happened with Conte and the 3 at the back but that was only a little fad that died out. I feel like Arsène introduced the attacking fullbacks to England, don't remember it happening here before Ashely Cole and Lauren.

I don't disagree that Arsène changed the game in England and that he's an amazing manager I just rate Klopp higher. I think what Klopp has done at Liverpool and Dortmund is amazing and surpassing what Arsène did here.

I know I should be bias as an Arsenal fan but I'm inherently an objective man.
When Wenger arrived, we were a storied club in the UK with no real international presence due to our lack of European cups. English clubs had no real style and the players were pretty laid back in terms of self care. Getting the Adams lot off the booze and getting them to take care of themselves, probably saved their lives and prolonged their careers. Our playing style and the guts to pick anyone not just English players was brave back than. Fitness training and the way we scouted was copied and improved upon by other clubs. He also rebuilt Colney and bought Henry with the Anelka sale and was instrumental in our move to Emirates. Some banks would only extend our loan if he was manager and he stayed despite interest from Madrid. He gave us a new identity which merged with the legacy of Graham and perfection was achieved in 2004. We self financed the move to Emirates and had the rotten luck of doing this as a global recession hit out of nowhere. We've been losing our best players since 1999 and until 2015 always made the CL albeit with little success. It's galling that our consistency increased the coefficient that our rivals now enjoy. Klopp came in to Liverpool with dedicated owners who backed a long term vision. They've backed him with £200m of external money. Jose apart from Porto can't win without spending. Him and Pep are the only managers to have spent over £1b each and it's easy when you can buy the best, your rivals targets and tap up their best players. Wenger is a legend. Similar to Federer who will be surpassed in time by Djokovic, but I know the player I will revere forever.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

But look at the context.

CL: Alot of the top European teams have been struggling. Bayern went through a pretty bad patch last year, Barca and Real look built on quicksand. PSG... well they're PSG.

Similarly this season in the PL,traditional rivals who would normally be expected to run them close have failed badly.

City - incosistent with Pep seeming to lose interest at times.

Chelsea - inexperienced new manager hampered by the transfer ban and a lack of balls in the squad.

Utd- terrible manager. Poor squad after splashing the cash on dross.

Sp**s -Poch implosion carried forward into this year. Even more inconsistent now with a manager who seems to be losing it already.

Arsenal - need I say it? No full backs for an age. Torreira at no 10. Xhaka at Palace. Emery. We lost our minds.

Liverpool have taken advantage and are a fantastic side but no need lose the run of ourselves
They made two CL finals in a row and would have won the league last season where it not for a seriously interested super Pep juiced City team. To sustain that level of performance again is incredible.

I hope they lose a game I really do. I want our record to stand out there on its own. Never matched again in England. But if they do it given the overall context then it's hard not to say it's a better achievement.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
They made two CL finals in a row and would have won the league last season where it not for a seriously interested super Pep juiced City team. To sustain that level of performance again is incredible.

I hope they lose a game I really do. I want our record to stand out there on its own. Never matched again in England. But if they do it given the overall context then it's hard not to say it's a better achievement.

They will be the "VAR" Invincibles anyway, could never be my club! ;)

Saying that Klopp is an all time great, easily better than Pep for me...took over a relatively struggling Dortmund and Liverpool, and took both to greatness...real shame we didn't go for Klopp in the summer of 2014, genuinely think we could have tempted me then, oh well...

progman07

Established Member
Maybe it's not so unpopular, but many fans are absolutely crazy when it comes to defensive signings.

Look into yourself, Upamecano/Saliba lovers, you haven't seen 5 consecutive games of these players, you don't know their strengths and weaknesses, you don't know whether they are prone to mistakes, you don't know whether they have an inner van Dijk or Mustafi.

I'm sure there is 1 person in 500 who has the time to watch Leipzig/Saint-Etienne games, but I'm sceptical about the other 499.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Maybe it's not so unpopular, but many fans are absolutely crazy when it comes to defensive signings.

Look into yourself, Upamecano/Saliba lovers, you haven't seen 5 consecutive games of these players, you don't know their strengths and weaknesses, you don't know whether they are prone to mistakes, you don't know whether they have an inner van Dijk or Mustafi.

I'm sure there is 1 person in 500 who has the time to watch Leipzig/Saint-Etienne games, but I'm sceptical about the other 499.

Fair enough on Saint-Etienne but I'd say there's a lot of Bundesliga watchers on here, and Leipzig are top of the table at the moment. I don't think it's too far-fetched to believe that more than 1 in 500 people watch a few Leipzig games a season especially when they're doing so well. :lol:

avalonhse

This Liverpool side would've been light work for the invincibles ffs. Imagine thinking otherwise.

But did the Invicibles win the Champoin League, no? They could not advance to Semi-Final since 2001 to 2005, meaning they were not even in the list of Top 4 Europe.

And this current Liv reached CL Final in 2 consecutive year, won 1. Their ability is proved in the highest level of football.

The Invicibles is the greatest team in my heart, but to be fair, this Liverpool side would've not been light work at all.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Diaby, Bellerin, Song, Kanu, Giroud and Ramsey are the most overrated Arsenal players ever.

Manninger, Kola, Sagna, Vivas, Arteta, Torreira, GVB, Rosicky, Benayoun and Arshavin are the most underrated Arsenal players ever.

bandaid

Diaby, Bellerin, Song, Kanu, Giroud and Ramsey are the most overrated Arsenal players ever.

Manninger, Kola, Sagna, Vivas, Arteta, Torreira, GVB, Rosicky, Benayoun and Arshavin are the most underrated Arsenal players ever.

pound for pound, Nasri was the most talented player to play for Arsenal since Henry.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
sell guendoozi while he still has some value.

There's a good player in there somewhere, potentially even a great player but does tend to lose his position a hell of alot as he goes to chase the ball.

Hard say though if alot of that has come about from the gaping holes in our midfield earlier in the season or a alck of coaching. Think he'll be fine after Arteta has had more time with him.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

pound for pound, Nasri was the most talented player to play for Arsenal since Henry.

That's quite the claim, tho first half of the 10/11 season he was absolutely untouchable. I still remember those two goals vs Fulham, or that goal vs Sp**s where he just squeezed it in. Or a season earlier his wonder goal vs Porto. Superb talent.

bandaid

There's a good player in there somewhere, potentially even a great player but does tend to lose his position a hell of alot as he goes to chase the ball.

Hard say though if alot of that has come about from the gaping holes in our midfield earlier in the season or a alck of coaching. Think he'll be fine after Arteta has had more time with him.

I saw it because of the attitude. Too much diving, posing, fouling and dwelling on the ball. Has learnt too many bad habits for someone so young.

Has had probably 3 times the chances any other player in his position would have got, and yet couldnt nail down a position, in probably the worst Arsenal side ever.

Still, he might step up as you say and do the Arteta/Ramsey role, but seems a bit slow-witted.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
That's quite the claim, tho first half of the 10/11 season he was absolutely untouchable. I still remember those two goals vs Fulham, or that goal vs Sp**s where he just squeezed it in. Or a season earlier his wonder goal vs Porto. Superb talent.

Theo VanNasrGas :drool:

Alright lads, that'll do, I'm trying a ting on the missus here ffs

Pics, or it didn’t happen...

bandaid

Had he stayed, he would still be playing for us...and maintained our technical quality in midfield. Big big loss. He was the perfect arsenal player. Could play central, wings and finish like a boss.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
I saw it because of the attitude. Too much diving, posing, fouling and dwelling on the ball. Has learnt too many bad habits for someone so young.

Has had probably 3 times the chances any other player in his position would have got, and yet couldnt nail down a position, in probably the worst Arsenal side ever.

Still, he might step up as you say and do the Arteta/Ramsey role, but seems a bit slow-witted.

Kind of agree. Just every time I think am about to give up on him he does something relatively special which makes you think he really has something.

To be fair he got alot of those chances this season as Emery had Torreira down as an attacking player and Xhaka at the time was going through a really bad patch. Out tactics were changing game on game and we never seemed to have a settled style or lineup. Hard for any young player to develop in that environment

P

bandaid

Kind of agree. Just every time I think am about to give up on him he does something relatively special which makes you think he really has something.

To be fair he got alot of those chances this season as Emery had Torreira down as an attacking player and Xhaka at the time was going through a really bad patch. Out tactics were changing game on game and we never seemed to have a settled style or lineup. Hard for any young player to develop in that environment

P

Think Arteta is managing him much better, giving him some minutes in the false#10 role / pressing CM role, so that he doesnt have much defensive or tactical responsibility and can feel his way into his natural game. He can dribble a bit and he can pass, and has a bit of vision, so he can develop if he puts in the hard work, like we hear about Martinelli.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
The team will beat already crowned champions and in holiday mode Liverpool in May, preserving the legacy of their invincible Arsenal forefathers.

Top Bottom