• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pablo Mari: 2019/2020 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
We've suffered from a severe lack of athleticism since the end of the invincibles ffs

Time and time again we have bought players based on technical ability and overlooked athleticism

Teams runs circles around us god dammit.

Our great English hopes in Holding/Chambers albeit Good defenders are not athletic enough athletes for top football

Athleticism is least of our worries at CB though.

Lack of focus, appalling decision making and poor positioning a hell of alot higher on the issues list tbh

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
How many athletic CBs are there? I couldnt name one in league, I actually think lsat one was Kos. When was the last CB before him in the league that was quality and had pace? Might have to go back as far as Campbell.

Literally 95% of elite CBs in history werent athletic or have pace. What they had in ambudance is footballing IQ, positional awareness and discipline. This is what we have lacked.
Exactly... Holding is struggling because of his lack un defensive not because he isn’t quick. Per was slower and he did well.

You can have a very quick and strong idiot ogre running in the defense and I am sure it won’t work. I don’t get that absurd idea of Sherk playing football in England.

Kysus

We shouldn't spend a lot of money on CB's as that makes only sense if you are stacked everywhere else and have a lot of money leftover.
Get elite attackers and midfielders first, solidify defense with an improved system/approach.
Happy with the signing as i don't want us ending up like Utd blowing their load on a CB and RB.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

How many athletic CBs are there? I couldnt name one in league, I actually think lsat one was Kos. When was the last CB before him in the league that was quality and had pace? Might have to go back as far as Campbell.

Literally 95% of elite CBs in history werent athletic or have pace. What they had in ambudance is footballing IQ, positional awareness and discipline. This is what we have lacked.
Off the top of my head

VVD, Gomez, Rudiger, Zouma, Bailly, Ogbonna and Sanchez are all varying degrees of rapid.

I too would like a CB whose speed can occasionally bail him out, it’s a massive get out of jail free card and is likely to save a few extra goals a season compared to a slow CB of similar ability. Seeing as most of our CBs are crap anyway we might as well get a fast one and save ourselves a few goals.

Last edited:

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Why can't we ever just sign someone (preferably a cb) on a permanent basis for a change. All I ever see are just players signing on loans these days for us, I see heaps of other PL teams signing players on a permanent basis.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Isn’t Sokratis one of the fastest in our team?

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Why can't we ever just sign someone (preferably a cb) on a permanent basis for a change. All I ever see are just players signing on loans these days for us, I see heaps of other PL teams signing players on a permanent basis.

What? :lol:

Balboa

I heard on Ornstein's podcast that Mari never met Pep?

I wonder if he met Arteta?

Seems quite a gamble. It would be funny if they pulled off a miracle signing....The Spanish Vardy?

say yes

forum master baiter
What’s all this about Mari lacking athleticism?

He’s 6’3 and Tim Vickery (who has actually watched him play) says he’s quick, which is why he was able to excel in a high line.

What am I missing?

Tomb Bombadil

Now we have 6 centerbacks who can play (be) on the bench. Great transfer :frustrated:

Why do we buy another squad player?
Why do we need 6 centerbacks?

And next year we also have Saliba and Mavropanos back that makes 8 ****ing center backs. I mean good luck selling Mustafi and Sokratis.

If you compare our CB to the "Top-6":
Liverpool: van Djik, Gomez, Matip, Lovren
City: Laporte, Otamendi, Stones, Garcia
Chelsea: Rüdiger, Zouma, Christensen, Tomori
Tottenham: Alderweireld, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Foyth
United: Maguire, Lindelof, Bailley, Jones, Tuanzebe, Rojo

Just play the season and then buy a real CB. Then we have one Top-CB and some with good potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom