• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2019/20

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Love how the mugs at the back are almost off the payroll. This summer will be interesting.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
So the line up for rest of season

GK: Leno
LB: Tierney/Kola/Saka
LCB: Mari
RCB: Sokartis
RB: AMN/ Soares
DCM: Torreira
CM: Xhaka
ACM: Ceballos/ Özil/ Willock
LW: PEA/Martinelli/ Saka
CF: Laca/PEA
RW: Pepe

With Luiz, Mustafi and Bellerin looking at much less playing time for the rest of the season than I expceted a week ago. This us strength led us dramatically defensively and thats what everyone wanted to happen this transfer window. To think we have Saliba to add.to this next season as well, good times.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
With Luiz, Mustafi and Bellerin looking at much less playing time for the rest of the season than I expceted a week ago.

giphy.gif

Theres really no evidence this will happen. Bellerin has benched AMN

Mitch

giphy.gif

Theres really no evidence this will happen. Bellerin has benched AMN

In a cup game to give the newly out of injury squady some game time. I expect AMN to be RB against Burnely especially when you consider his form of late.

DanDare

Trusted ⭐

In a cup game to give the newly out of injury squady some game time. I expect AMN to be RB against Burnely especially when you consider his form of late.

Ok, guess we'll see. Arteta sea to think AMN and Saka shouldn't be playing fullback but ok...

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Was he giving him game time at Chelsea away?

Its Bellerin first choice with Soares as back up. The question is what happens to AMN.

Mitch

Was he giving him game time at Chelsea away?

Its Bellerin first choice with Soares as back up. The question is what happens to AMN.

I dont understand why that be th case considering Bellerin form the past 4 years and AMN the past 2 seasons.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
GK: Leno/Martinez
LB: Tierney/Kola*/Saka
LCB: Luiz*/Mari*/Holding*
RCB: Sokartis*/Mustafi*/Chambers
RB: Bellerin/Soares
DCM: Torreira/AMN
CM: Xhaka*/Guendouzi/Cellabos*
ACM: Özil*/ Willock
LW: PEA*/Martinelli/Saka/Nelson
CF: Laca*/PEA*/Nketiah/Martinelli
RW: Pepe/Nelson

Here's my view of our squad to the end of the season. The names that have an asterisk next to them are the ones who I feel will be moved on within the next 12-24 months. This is due to their age, contract situation, a loan signing or the attractiveness of that player to other clubs.

From the list above it's clear we need another CB even after the Mari signing. I'm genuinely not convinced about Chambers and Holding being a success here so I think we should sell one of them too. I picked Holding because Chambers can play in two positions but overall I'm not fussed. Ideal scenario: we sign a fast and mobile left footed CB who complements Saliba.

I think we need another CM too. I'm not sure if Xhaka still wants out despite Arteta's faith in him. His redemption has been good for us but it remains to be seen if Xhaka can move on. I don't think Arteta rates Cellabos too highly imo, I think he'll be back in Spain in the summer. Ideal scenario: we sign a powerful and athletic CM.

If we are sticking with the 4-2-3-1 then the no.10 position is the most vital piece of the puzzle. Özil is physically finished and Willock is inconsistent and possibly be better off in a CM position. However, 3 different managers see him as a 10 so he obviously has something about him. Maybe ESR could function there but it's too early to tell. My ideal scenario would be Jack Grealish. In fact, he's the only player I really want.

Finally, the striker situation is something that needs to be looked at especially as it a most likely Auba will be leaving in the summer. I don't like Lacazette one bit and would urge the club to be wise and move him on as well. Unfortunately this would leave the club with two fairly inexperienced strikers who are both a bit similar. Ideal scenario: a tall, quick and physical 9 that can play with and bench Martinelli if required.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
After signing Mari and Soares, I must say that I'm pretty pleased with our team for the second half of the season. Obviously, basically none of us have seen Mari play, but he is the type of defender we needed to sign, and this signing gives us an even better idea of how Arteta wants to play, which is a lot considering that we never had a clue how Emery wanted to play. Also, signing Soares should allow AMN to get minutes at CM, and Xhaka, Torreira, Douzi, and AMN is a pretty solid midfield. If they perform well this season, they could be our midfield foundation for seasons to come.

Additionally, we have a lot of squad depth right now. Defense is still our main weakness, but it has already improved under Arteta; so it isn't crazy to think that we could get even better defensively as the season progresses.

With our current squad, we have options in every position, and I think we can make a charge up the table, and challenge for the FA Cup, and Europa League.

GK: Leno, Martinez, Macey
RB: Bellerin, Soares*, AMN*
CB: Luiz, Sokratis, Mustafi, Holding, Mari
LB: Kolasinac, Saka*, Tierney, Soares*

CM: Xhaka, Torreira, Guendouzi, AMN*, Willock* Ceballos*
AM: Özil, Willock*, Ceballos*

RW: Pepe, Nelson*, Auba*, Martinelli*, Ceballos*
CF: Auba*, Lacazette, Nketiah, Martinelli*
LW: Auba*, Martinelli*, Nelson*, Saka*, Ceballos*

* denotes the ability to play in multiple positions.

Not only does our squad have options in every position, but we also have a lot of versatile players, so Arteta should be able to rotate players and make tactical adjustments without us having an obvious drop in quality.

In a short amount of time, Arteta's raised the quality of a lot of our players, but the most important improvement has been amongst our young players. In just a couple of months, Saka, Martinelli, Nelson, Nketiah, AMN, and Willock have become steady contributors to the squad, and that is huge. Honestly, we could field a front six of AMN, Douzi, and Willock in midfield with Martinelli, Nketiah, and Nelson in attack plus Saka at LB, and we wouldn't be shocked if we got a positive result.

I could write an even longer post about how much our team has improved, but to keep this relatively short, I think we're in a good position to have a very good second half of the season.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
GK: Leno/Martinez
LB: Tierney/Kola*/Saka
LCB: Luiz*/Mari*/Holding*
RCB: Sokartis*/Mustafi*/Chambers
RB: Bellerin/Soares
DCM: Torreira/AMN
CM: Xhaka*/Guendouzi/Cellabos*
ACM: Özil*/ Willock
LW: PEA*/Martinelli/Saka/Nelson
CF: Laca*/PEA*/Nketiah/Martinelli
RW: Pepe/Nelson

Here's my view of our squad to the end of the season. The names that have an asterisk next to them are the ones who I feel will be moved on within the next 12-24 months. This is due to their age, contract situation, a loan signing or the attractiveness of that player to other clubs.

From the list above it's clear we need another CB even after the Mari signing. I'm genuinely not convinced about Chambers and Holding being a success here so I think we should sell one of them too. I picked Holding because Chambers can play in two positions but overall I'm not fussed. Ideal scenario: we sign a fast and mobile left footed CB who complements Saliba.

I think we need another CM too. I'm not sure if Xhaka still wants out despite Arteta's faith in him. His redemption has been good for us but it remains to be seen if Xhaka can move on. I don't think Arteta rates Cellabos too highly imo, I think he'll be back in Spain in the summer. Ideal scenario: we sign a powerful and athletic CM.

If we are sticking with the 4-2-3-1 then the no.10 position is the most vital piece of the puzzle. Özil is physically finished and Willock is inconsistent and possibly be better off in a CM position. However, 3 different managers see him as a 10 so he obviously has something about him. Maybe ESR could function there but it's too early to tell. My ideal scenario would be Jack Grealish. In fact, he's the only player I really want.

Finally, the striker situation is something that needs to be looked at especially as it a most likely Auba will be leaving in the summer. I don't like Lacazette one bit and would urge the club to be wise and move him on as well. Unfortunately this would leave the club with two fairly inexperienced strikers who are both a bit similar. Ideal scenario: a tall, quick and physical 9 that can play with and bench Martinelli if required.

I would flip our formation to the other side and have an offensive right back with a winger on the left hand side on his natural foot instead of Pepe on the right being unable to cross or have an overlap.

I would buy a CF with pace and aerial ability, a number 6 who is athletic and good on the ball, a left sided CB with pace and passing.

I think we should raid Lille for Osimhen. Everyone will focus on Dembele but Osimhen has pace to burn, is strong and has excellent aerial ability.

I think we should get Gabriel from Lille also. A left sided dominant centre back.

Midfield is tricky, but a lot of names are being banded around like Soumare, Camavinga and Zakaria. I would like us to sign Boubacar Kamara. Not hyped up as much as some, but this guy is something. Pace, composure, can play all across the back four and in midfield. Aerial ability and dynamism with the ability to drive forward also.

In possession I'd line up like this:

-------------------------Osimhen
----Saka------------Pepe---------Martinelli-------Bellerin
--------------Tierney--Guendouzi--Kamara
----------------------Gabriel---Saliba
-------------------------------Leno

Then go to a 4 2 3 1 put of possession with Pepe behind Osimhen and Martinelli right.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

I would flip our formation to the other side and have an offensive right back with a winger on the left hand side on his natural foot instead of Pepe on the right being unable to cross or have an overlap.

I would buy a CF with pace and aerial ability, a number 6 who is athletic and good on the ball, a left sided CB with pace and passing.

I think we should raid Lille for Osimhen. Everyone will focus on Dembele but Osimhen has pace to burn, is strong and has excellent aerial ability.

I think we should get Gabriel from Lille also. A left sided dominant centre back.

Midfield is tricky, but a lot of names are being banded around like Soumare, Camavinga and Zakaria. I would like us to sign Boubacar Kamara. Not hyped up as much as some, but this guy is something. Pace, composure, can play all across the back four and in midfield. Aerial ability and dynamism with the ability to drive forward also.

In possession I'd line up like this:

-------------------------Osimhen
----Saka------------Pepe---------Martinelli-------Bellerin
--------------Tierney--Guendouzi--Kamara
----------------------Gabriel---Saliba
-------------------------------Leno

Then go to a 4 2 3 1 put of possession with Pepe behind Osimhen and Martinelli right.

What in the hell is that team.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
What in the hell is that team.

Just a few names. You can swap out Kamara, Osimhen and Gabriel for whoever's, but that's basically how we line how we line up offensively in possession, just the other way round and Pepe on the wing instead of the 10.

Goonger

There's still so much up in the air regarding the squad just now, it really is difficult to predict what we are going to do in the summer.

What will our budget be? How will Mari & Soares settle? How does Arteta view Xhaka & Torreira long term, & do they want to stay? Can we get a more suitable number 10? What will happen with Aubameyang (& Laca to a lesser extent).

It really could go to a summer with minimum changes (low budget, Mari settles, Xhaka & Torreira stay & Auba signs a new deal) to a summer with a lot of changes (high budget with Europa League win, Mari not good enough, we need to replace Xhaka & Torreira, Auba doesn't renew & Laca wants out).

Will be interesting to say the least.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It's interesting that we are now set up with 2 or more players in every position. The holes are where there are loan signings, that is where investment will be required. We also have a contract issue with Auba that will determine if we buy a striker.

Another conundrum is how Arteta wants the play. He has set the team up tactically with the full back pushing up, but is that long term?

Would he prefer to have midfielders who can do two jobs? Probably.

DanDare

Trusted ⭐

Leno
Bellerin
Saliba
Mari
Tierney
New
New
New
New
New
New

Is this the challenge that we face in the summer?

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Leno
Bellerin
Saliba
Mari
Tierney
New
New
New
New
New
New

Is this the challenge that we face in the summer?
In summer Guendouzi Torreira pepe all will be here. We know what we should target a midfielder attacking midfielder a striker to replace auba if he leave. Defensively we need top class cb but that depend on Mari if he show great promise

DanDare

Trusted ⭐

In summer Guendouzi Torreira pepe all will be here. We know what we should target a midfielder attacking midfielder a striker to replace auba if he leave. Defensively we need top class cb but that depend on Mari if he show great promise

Guendouzi shouldn't be starting. Torreira has been good under Arteta and if he carries on I'd say he should be.

Otherwise all the positions should be getting new players because what we have clearly isn't good enough

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Guendouzi shouldn't be starting. Torreira has been good under Arteta and if he carries on I'd say he should be.

Otherwise all the positions should be getting new players because what we have clearly isn't good enough
If you mean starting position yes definitely need good midfielder and attacking mid

Top Bottom