• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Pound for pound, surely there is no debate that Giroud is astronomically a better signing than Laca.

Indisputable.

If removing cost from it, Lacazette is the better finisher overall though their output funnily is quite similar.

Factoring in their cost? It's not even close, Giroud at what was around £10 Mil represents excellent value for money no matter how you cut it.

GDeep™

League is very weak
The fact that his last away assist came just before he got his big contract says it all. He has lost his hunger for the game. Emery tried to light a fire under him. Özil fan boys were like "he needs a coach to put his arm around him and trusts him"

Now Arteta is now using the carrot approach and the Özil fans boys are still wheeling out endless excuses. Instead of facing the issue, they're busy pointing their fingers at another bum lacazette.

I've never known an arsenal player before that is/was as impervious to criticism as Özil. The fact that a large portion of our fanbase will go out of their way to make excuses for our highest earner who does Fu*ck all says it all really

Very simplistic way to look at in terms of his last assist proving he fell off after his contract. I mean you must factor in his injury under Wenger, change of manager, clueless tactics from that manager and team exclusion from the same manager. Surely his contact softened him up, Wenger predicted this and wasn’t a fan on such a big deal - but you can argue the things I mentioned earlier have also played some part in whatever level of decline we are witnessing.

The “fire in belly” and “carrot” approach you speak off is your own narrative. Arteta for example has said he’ll pick players based on merit and Ornstein has said Özil has been one of the tremendous players since his arrival, along with Luiz.

2 years ago he got 12 goals and assists in 26 league games, hardly **** all? The season before that he had the best season of his career and nearly broke the individual assists record.

I’ll argue his decline started after he picked up a back injury under Wenger and then the arrival of Emery, so 18-24 months.

Who said he’s impervious to criticisms? He’s one of the most scrutinised players I have seen at Arsenal. You can’t go by what you seen on here.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Btw, can anyone find the thread or discussion on the back of Özil signing his last deal? We are all against it now but I want to see the reaction of this forum when it actually happened. It was on the back of probably the best season Özil has had.

It’s easy to look at things in hindsight, at the time I’m sure it was widely regarded as the best and most ambitious thing to do.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Not gonna happen though. They'll probably walk away for free in 2021
This is where you look at Raul and Vinai, who said players will be sold unless they extend before their last two years - yet we’ve lost Ramsey for free and are potentially facing Auba, Laca, Özil going into their final year.

I think Auba will leave, the African Nations might put clubs off though. Laca might extend, and Özil will see his deal out as no club will match his wages.

RUS arsenal

Established Member
Indisputable.

If removing cost from it, Lacazette is the better finisher overall though their output funnily is quite similar.

Factoring in their cost? It's not even close, Giroud at what was around £10 Mil represents excellent value for money no matter how you cut it.
I disagree, that's a major weakness for Laca currently and was somewhat of a strength for Giroud. Now of course Laca is a much more rounded player whereas Giroud suffered from a lack of mobility and poor ball control (though his first touch and flicks were generally good).

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Very simplistic way to look at in terms of his last assist proving he fell off after his contract. I mean you must factor in his injury under Wenger, change of manager, clueless tactics from that manager and team exclusion from the same manager. Surely his contact softened him up, Wenger predicted this and wasn’t a fan on such a big deal - but you can argue the things I mentioned earlier have also played some part in whatever level of decline we are witnessing.

The “fire in belly” and “carrot” approach you speak off is your own narrative. Arteta for example has said he’ll pick players based on merit and Ornstein has said Özil has been one of the tremendous players since his arrival, along with Luiz.

2 years ago he got 12 goals and assists in 26 league games, hardly **** all? The season before that he had the best season of his career and nearly broke the individual assists record.

I’ll argue his decline started after he picked up a back injury under Wenger and then the arrival of Emery, so 18-24 months.

Who said he’s impervious to criticisms? He’s one of the most scrutinised players I have seen at Arsenal. You can’t go by what you seen on here.

On the bolded part.
He only played well for about two games. He's reverted back to type.

The only reason he's being selected is because of circumstances. I very much doubt he's part of Arteta's vision.

It's not even like he's been fantastic in the few games under Arteta. It's just that he's been so poor for long that any little effort he puts in is seen as some kind of improvement.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Btw, can anyone find the thread or discussion on the back of Özil signing his last deal? We are all against it now but I want to see the reaction of this forum when it actually happened. It was on the back of probably the best season Özil has had.

It’s easy to look at things in hindsight, at the time I’m sure it was widely regarded as the best and most ambitious thing to do.
The majority of us were thrilled with the news, especially because the club needed a boost with Alexis having just left. Anyway here it is:
https://arsenal-mania.com/forum/threads/mesut-Özil-time-to-move-Ön.28744/page-541

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
This is where you look at Raul and Vinai, who said players will be sold unless they extend before their last two years - yet we’ve lost Ramsey for free and are potentially facing Auba, Laca, Özil going into their final year.

I think Auba will leave, the African Nations might put clubs off though. Laca might extend, and Özil will see his deal out as no club will match his wages.
This is a bit unfair. The Ramsey scenario was put onto them by the previous regime for the most part. Gazidis let it get under 2 years. In terms of Özil, everyone knows hes going to become a free agent when his contract expires. We dont want to renew him and no one wants to buy him for a transfer fee on his wages.

But yeh, Auba and Laca will be a big tester. I was wondering in the summer what the hell happened to what they said about the two year thing. They didnt sell or renew Auba, they must have been banking on a top4 finish :facepalm:

I'm sure most of the fanbase want both their situations resolved in the summer, we're gonna get a great idea of whether our board has the cojones.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Interesting read, links and talk of interest from Utd, PSG etc, people saying he’ll go down as a legend etc.

You read this forum now and some characters will tell you he’s done nothing since his arrival.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Interesting read, links and talk of interest from Utd, PSG etc, people saying he’ll go down as a legend etc.

You read this forum now and some characters will tell you he’s done nothing since his arrival.
Yeah the same reason a lot of people were so excited then is the same reason they have been dissapointed ever since.

He was elite in the few months leading up to the contract. Im not talking about assists or goals or anything quantifiable, he was just leading by example on the pitch. Taking the game by the scruff of the neck on quite a consistent basis.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Yeah the same reason a lot of people were so excited then is the same reason they have been dissapointed ever since.

He was elite in the few months leading up to the contract. Im not talking about assists or goals or anything quantifiable, he was just leading by example on the pitch. Taking the game by the scruff of the neck on quite a consistent basis.

...this performance alone, earned him the contract tbf.

Annoying and loud music warning for this.

progman07

Established Member
We need goals, assists or intense pressing from his position to be fair. He doesn't offer either anymore.

I love him, and he would be a good player to keep around, because his presence is invaluable for any youngster, but for the wages he is on, I'm not sure.

RUS arsenal

Established Member

...this performance alone, earned him the contract tbf.

Annoying and loud music warning for this.
Look at him always looking to break the play open on the EVERY counter attack, beautiful! Nowadays, he gets the ball on a counter and just stops and passes back, sigh...

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
The majority of us were thrilled with the news, especially because the club needed a boost with Alexis having just left. Anyway here it is:
https://arsenal-mania.com/forum/threads/mesut-Özil-time-to-move-Ön.28744/page-541

Best quote by a country mile is @razöristThis feels even better than the moment I got to hold my firstborn son

Other standout post was someone saying the signing felt like the start of a new era for Arsenal......looking back with hindsight, it most certainly was :cool:

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Tbf, I wasn't a member of AM then. But the only thing I felt after him signing was relief. I wasn't really over the moon. It would have been disastrous if we'd lost him and Sanchez the summer. So basically, I can't say I was against it but I wasn't for it either.

Reactions: A_G

GDeep™

League is very weak
So basically, I can't say I was against it but I wasn't for it either.
I’ll take your word for it but it’s hard to believe, unless you really don’t rate or like the player.

He got his contact off the back of a few tremendous seasons alongside Sanchez.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

I’ll take your word for it but it’s hard to believe, unless you really don’t rate or like the player.
Fair enough.

It's not like I didn't rate him then. But moving forward, I guess I didn't see Özil as part of Arsenal's future.

Especially due to his inconsistency, even during his tremendous form in 2015/2016

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

My job is to give people who work hard all week something to enjoy on Saturdays and Wednesdays

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom