• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Shkodran Mustafi: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

progman07

Established Member
I'm very happy for Mustafi on a personal level. He has been abused needlessly by idiots, which obviously hurt him a lot.

He is someone who plays with heart and cares a lot, both for the Club and his teammates, and it's just great that people appreciate his efforts more. His consistent mental lapses mean he would probably need dropping/selling mid-term, but he has contributed to Arteta's defensive record big time, and deserves his name sung by fans.

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
I don't know why but I used to despise him as a player that is but now he is growing on me, I just really hope he keeps up the good performances for his and for our sake. Not sure what I want to do with him come the summer time, whether to sell on or keep, however, if we do sell I want us to truly upgrade with a world class CB.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
He’s always been a decent defender when he’s not making horrendous mistakes.

The problem is that he makes horrendous mistakes all the time. Won’t be long until his next one.

Hopefully we agree to sell him before he does.

pacstud

If Arteta salvages Mustafi he becomes the literal all-time GOAT instantly.

I'm with the "just make him look good enough to sell" camp though.

bandaid

Will improve with coaching. Is still young. Better atmosphere in the stands and a human approachable manager will help him no end.

Camus

Trusted ⭐
I don't know why but I used to despise him as a player that is but now he is growing on me, I just really hope he keeps up the good performances for his and for our sake. Not sure what I want to do with him come the summer time, whether to sell on or keep, however, if we do sell I want us to truly upgrade with a world class CB.
Yeah I'm the same. He used to make my blood boil. It's not actually the upturn in his performances that brought me around it was the interview in which he was really honest about his shortcomings. That really endears me to a player. I'd like Xhaka a lot more if he did the same instead constantly trying to shift blame.

But independent of my personal feelings towards him I'm still not sure if he has the ability to long term be a quality CB for us. He's going to have to keep this up for longer than a month for me to come around that much.

elemoo

People keep saying he has a misatke in him... or he'll give an 8/10 performance for 6 games then a 2/10. Are people on AM not open to change? Or is it that they think it is not possible for a player to improve their tactical awareness? In any walk of life, where you're at mentally will have a huge impact on productivity, which im sure we've all experienced in our own jobs.

I have seen VVD make several mistakes this season and he's pretty much the best CB in the world currently. I think that as a defender, any mistake you make is scrutinised way more as it could lead to a goal. An attaking player can be given stick for not having his shooting boots on but defenders have to have an almost perfect game to be considered 'solid'....

I think if he keeps this up for the rest of the season there is no need to sell him, not only becasue we need squad depth with our injury record (esp cover for Bellerin/AMN), he is currently our best CB imo.

Last edited:

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Was that the odd mistake that even the best in the world make or was that another potential Shkodran special that we just got lucky with this time?

Only way to know for sure is to give him more time and see if Mustafi under Arteta is considerably less error prone than chaos Mustafi.

A similar thing is happening with Xhaka but he's a lot further along in his redemption storyline, cant remember the last time he cost us points. People have been waiting for him to slip up for a while but I think if it does happen it shouldn't be viewed as a 'Xhaka moment' but as a consistent player making a mistake.

That won't happen though.:lol:
Hahaha all about perspective I suppose. The thing with Mustafi is he did used to be a player which warranted us spending £35m on (even if we slightly overpayed). A lot of people said he worked out at Valencia because he was in a solid, well protected system. He hasnt been in that at Arsenal until now. So he's literally on his last chance but even then I would rather sell him and look elsewhere for a CB.

Its the same with Xhaka, Arteta is protecting him with our set up and solidity. I cant tell if we would be better off just signing players to replace these guys. Ones that dont need as much protection, who can flourish in more systems/scenarios.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
I'm very happy for Mustafi on a personal level. He has been abused needlessly by idiots, which obviously hurt him a lot.

He is someone who plays with heart and cares a lot, both for the Club and his teammates, and it's just great that people appreciate his efforts more. His consistent mental lapses mean he would probably need dropping/selling mid-term, but he has contributed to Arteta's defensive record big time, and deserves his name sung by fans.
It was nevee needless. He did brainless things that directly cost us games.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Sokratis is better defensively but it’s clear that Arteta prefers Mustafi because of Mustafi’s ball playing ability.
The very odd nice cross-field pass doesn't make up for his persistent cheap give-aways (normal, simple passes) under no pressure.

But yes he's certainly better on the ball than Papa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom