• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Some great managers were rubbish players and some were great players

The same for poor managers. Don't think there's and correlation

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Personally I don't really blame Arteta for the loss yesterday. I think the lineup was fine overall, the only thing I really thought was glaring was the lack of the right changes and at the right time.

But we should've beaten Olympiacos with the team we had. I personally feel like the players were sleep walking through it, perhaps a bit tired, perhaps a bit complacent? I don't know, in a strange way maybe the away goal somehow negatively affected our players' mentality, it just seems inherent in our squad and for me the players really disappointed with their performance and approach.

That said I mean I like to compare Arteta to Poch in terms of potential impact because I think there are similarities there in terms of having a clearly defined style that can be demanding on players when it's at full tilt, if the players could handle it we'd be pressing similarly as aggressively (it's dropped off a bit because the players are b*tches that peter out after 60 minutes of doing it).

Poch funnily did pretty shockingly in the Europa league and sometimes it just doesn't happen for whatever reason. Additionally Poch had a full first season including preseason and finished a decent, but I'd say lacklustre 5th with 64 points; good position but average points tally.

It wasn't till Pochettino got an additional summer window, brought in some players to fit his system, that he was able to achieve 70 in his "sophomore" season and finally a huge 86 points in his third.

I think hopefully if we can get the players to fit his system Arteta could have a similar trajectory but a lot will depend on the backroom staff. That said my ultimate conclusion is that even though Arteta is still not that experienced I think he's definitely the right man, yesterday doesn't change that for me in the slightest and sometimes sh*t happens, experience or not.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Wasn't Wenger at very mediocre fullback at best?

Wenger, Van Gaal, Scolari, Mourinho etc. You don't really need to have been a great player to succeed as a manager.

Oh and Arrigo Sacchi, widely regarded as one of the best managers of all time. He failed to even make it as a professional player, only making it as far as a part timer at amateur level. Was a shoe salesman for a while before taking up coaching. Came up with a great quote when people questioned his qualifications: "I never realized that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first,"

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Winning is important but instilling the values that got lost so quickly after Wenger left is really important.

Arteta is approaching things the right way. Of we can improve the team think he can't be great.
What a man, we'll never get back what we had with Arsène . . . . consistency, the classiest club in the Prem and the neutrals favourite. And we had the father of everything thats good in football.

But Arteta's his own man. We'll get something different with him . . . youth, hunger and drive. But the squad needs fixing for him to succeed.

Who? tag them so we can laugh at them.

I'm not for being much "told you so" guy or hold any grudges even if I'm always right many months in advance and I get called troll and people basically throwing their cyber **** at me all the time for my correct opinions. So I will just take the high road and keep the peace and not tag anyone for this time!

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
We have to stick with Arteta.

There is no other choice.
This is correct. I'm fully backing him, this team is unsaveable as it stands unless you put Klopp or Simeone in charge.

However it is difficult not to be a bit pissed off at Mikel for his persistence with some of the utter dross, and the super late substitutions when things aren't working.

At least he's started dropping Lacazette for Eddie.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Same people who were begging me on here to keep giving Emery chance even if he hadn't won game for two months are already writing Arteta off even if he had no transfer window, no preseason and took over worst team in the league thanks to Emery. :lol:

It isn't right to write Arteta off so early in his reign before we have seen what he is really capable of. Just as it wasn't right to write off Emery before he had enough time to implement his ideas. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, people use it to justify making hasty conclusions. Just because a manager turns to be a failure doesn't mean you were right to get on his back from the start.

Manberg

Predator
This is correct. I'm fully backing him, this team is unsaveable as it stands unless you put Klopp or Simeone in charge.

However it is difficult not to be a bit pissed off at Mikel for his persistence with some of the utter dross, and the super late substitutions when things aren't working.

At least he's started dropping Lacazette for Eddie.

Klopp or Simeone can’t save this team. Arteta’s done an incredible job to improve the defence.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
I think there’s three nonces on here who will turn on Arteta before the end of this year — over the tactics, the hair, everything – and I have written them down already in three envelopes.

Make sure you are not in one of the envelopes.
EJY_7d4UcAEtYvz.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom