• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

9jagooner

I remember saying something similar about Reiss (and some of the other youth team players). Whilst trying not to be too harsh on them, I think they were 'over pampered' at Arsenal that they thought making it to top team will be easy and it surely was at least when Wenger was here due to the club's policy of playing them in the Carling Cup and not buying big name players. That's why many of them struggled when they went on loan and faced 'real life'.

I am glad Arteta is 'coaching' Reiss and helping him to break off old habits. More importantly, I am glad Reiss is taking his time to learn and hence improve not just on his game but also his attitude. It will help him in the long run.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Nelson as a modern no10 is interesting.

Defence splitting through balls are overrated and how often do you really see them anyway?

Give me someone with a wicket shot, good dribbling/agility and the technical ability to play in tight spaces every day of the week.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Defence splitting through balls are overrated and how often do you really see them anyway?

Give me someone with a wicket shot, good dribbling/agility and the technical ability to play in tight spaces every day of the week.
It makes sense depending on what we want the #10 to do. Nelson's defending off the ball has gotten better in terms of how he dominates space - he needs to be a lot better at winning duels defensively speaking but he is good at keeping up pressure and cutting angles.

On the ball, he doesn't have Özil's vision admittedly - Özil sees all types of **** that nobody sees, but the execution at the moment is gone for some strange reason. What Nelson does have though is that sense of adventure when he's on the ball - at least when he's at his best. Looking to dribble out of tight corners and create space, then combine with the other attackers, getting into areas to shoot, generally looking to dominate the ball by pulling people out of position with dribbles and clever short passes rather than through balls and running into space.

It is a longshot in terms of creating chances, because at this level, Nelson's best games haven't always involved him directly creating a lot of chances, but some of his games on the left in the Cups have been encouraging in this regard, and I think he has a decent relationship with Martinelli in that regard. In the future, a left side of Saka/Tierney and Nelson would be optimal with Martinelli upfront, but I would like us to explore the idea of Nelson replacing Özil in some games at the #10, rather than Willock.

Gotta be patient though, another knock for Nelson means he's gonna have to regroup and gain momentum again. I just hope he comes back a bit more confident and fired up.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
I'd like to see Nelson playing where Özil is. Arteta says he coached him and he knows him. I don't think he is a winger.

I'd like to see this when in possession:

--------------------Martinelli----Auba
Saka-------------------------Nelson-------------------Pepe
----------------------------------------------Bellerin
-----------------AMN---------Torreira
---------------------------Luiz---------Sokratis

Özil isn't scoring, dribbling or assisting. Not only that but off the ball he is just a body. I feel like Nelson would give us so much more in the inside right channel and AMN can easily do what Xhaka is doing and some.

Jesus christ that's a shocking team. :rofl:

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
If a midfield of Nelson, AMN and Torreira is good enough for you, you can go and support Derby with your boy Bielik.
I'm sure Arthur, Busquets and De Jong is better, but when you look at what we have, having Torreira and AMN or Xhaka is all we have. Having Bielik or Xhaka makes no difference to this team, it's a still bottom/mid table team

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I remember watching this kid on ITV 2 on a youth cup match against Man City and he looked scary good. I always thought Chris Willock was the superior player but after watching Nelson do his thing I really was a convert that day. Nelson is at his best when he is central, he's at his best when he is on the ball regularly, his willingness to carry the ball upwards, link up with others and take shots. All those things are hard to do when out wide. As you can see from the video:

I've always seen Nelson as more of a SS than a pure 10. To me, his style is reminiscent of Dybala of his time at Palermo, or the early seasons of Juve. The problem is second strikers are basically dead in this era of football just like traditional 10s. They often get moved out wide like Dybala or get converted into false 9’s Li Firminio. So unless Arteta really really believes in Nelson, I don't think we will ever see him reach his potential out wide but here's hoping.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

Think both, Reiss and Pepe, could be incredibly hard to defend as a supporting striker/Nr.10.

I like what I've seen with Özil under Arteta so far, but I would not be opposed to see something different there for once.
Those two would basically be able to run straight at the last defender on the counter asap and would beat them most of the time - giving them a free run at the goalie or having another defender trying to burst inside to prevent you from doing that, that in turn would destroy their set up structure and make it easy to just lay off the ball to the wingers.

Not the worst option to try, if you've got Pepe and Reiss as an option

Last edited:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Think both, Reiss and Pepe, could be incredibly hard to defend as a supporting striker/Nr.10.

I like what I've seen with Özil under Arteta so far, but I would not be opposed to see something different there for once.
Those two would basically be able to run straight at the last defender on the counter asap and would beat them most of the time - giving them a free run at the goalie or having another defender trying to burst inside to prevent you from doing that, when in turn would destroy their set up structure and make it easy to just lay off the ball to the wingers.

Not the best option to try, if you've got Pepe and Reiss as an option
Yeah I've given up on the classic no10. Feel like we've died from having one while other teams have left us behind.

Really want to see Pepe/Nelson tried there, let's just see how it goes.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member
Spotted in the under 23's :eek::(, Wonder if it has to do with recovery from injuries or Arteta just doesn't rate him, in any event can't bode well.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Spotted in the under 23's :eek::(, Wonder if it has to do with recovery from injuries or Arteta just doesn't rate him, in any event can't bode well.
Was just "coming back from injury" minutes. He only played 45 mins, suggesting it's a precursor for Monday.

FWIW, he looked sharp at least without over exerting himself.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Was just "coming back from injury" minutes. He only played 45 mins, suggesting it's a precursor for Monday.

FWIW, he looked sharp at least without over exerting himself.
Started quite well under Arteta.

He's the sort of player we are missing off the bench

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Thought he was pretty good tonight.

Think people have written him off too quickly, not every youngster is a Haaland or Sancho at a young age.

He needs regular game time so he can have a shot at figuring it all out.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Think people have written him off too quickly, not every youngster is a Haaland or Sancho at a young age.

Yeah, I mean I saw a post in the match thread saying he wasn't great? I thought he did good tbh.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Still has those who have an agenda against him but I'm happy he has Arteta behind him and willing to give him opportunities - definitely been written off too quickly, as have a few others in this team. This was a good game to get him started - plucky League One team but a lay-up for someone like Reiss who wants to make an impact. I was impressed with some of his play - still a long way to go before he starts playing like he can but this was promising. Trusted himself on the ball, more willing to go for the dribble and started putting in some decent crosses aswell. Just need to get him closer to goal now so he can shoot.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Also, if Nelson was playing in the Austrian League he would have torn it up too, and Sancho had to leave the EPL to get consistent minutes.

Nelson is a quality player, and he's getting better under Arteta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom