• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammy89

I wish I shared some of your optimism. I fear we've been done by Lille here. I'm not even talking about the price tag. It's everything.

Let's not pretend that this guy wasn't signed based on his numbers in front of goal because this rest of his game is Iwobi.

He does need a right back in better shape than Bellerin making overlapping runs in order to create space as he's struggling badly to do this himself against 2-3 opponents.

We've been had. 70m should get you a talisman, not glimpses of potential. That's the biggest consequence of missing Champions League football IMO: selling teams scam you cause they know you're desperate to get back in. All big teams that are suffering get scammed regularly, but stable teams like Bayern hardly ever get scammed cause they're in a power position when negotiating.

Bloodbather

Established Member

I know the system calls for him to stay back but Bellerin really should have went for the overlap a few times. It made it very easy for them to nullify him.

This is the issue and has been for a long time. Plain to see that Pépé's effectiveness would get a boost by having an overlapping full-back, but Arteta's system doesn't feature an overlapping full-back.

Something's gotta give. Either Arteta has to adapt and make a compromise, or we're going to have to settle for a lesser version of Pépé than he could be. Considering both the price and his potential to be a game changer, the latter, to me, is unacceptable.

It pains me to see Pépé become much more effective when he cuts into central positions but not get the opportunity to do so except for a moment here and there. The guy's perpetually stuck on an island with two-three defenders to beat.

say yes

forum master baiter
People get far too hung up on Pepe’s price. Leave that nonsense to opposition fans.

He’s young, clearly talented, and tied down to a five year contract. Don’t care if it takes him another year or two of development: world class wingers are priceless, and if that’s what he turns out to eventually be then he’ll be worth it.

Talk of our financial commitment is rarely balanced either. £70m in 5y instalments is actually far easier for our club to pay than £30m upfront - let alone something like a £50m lump sum - but that never gets mentioned, even though it is clearly material to the price. Nor does it ever get mentioned that Pepe is on comparatively low wages for a big-money signing, even though that makes a huge difference over a five-year contract.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

We've been had. 70m should get you a talisman, not glimpses of potential.
Out of interest, you or anyone else who cares enough - name some.

I’d really like to see what Talisman people think we can get with 70m in 20m instalments.

Talisman in Europe in their early/mid twenties who can play on the wing. We can rule out Zaha cause he was 80 mil upfront.

I’m sure there is value to be had but I am curious to know what people think 70 mil paid over x amount of years can get in 2020. I only really watch the prem so I’m not much of a scout.

Last edited:

DUFFMAN

Crybaby
Out of interest, you or anyone else who cares enough - name some.

I’d really like to see what Talisman people think we can get with 70m in 20m instalments.

Talisman in Europe in their early/mid twenties who can play on the wing. We can rule out Zaha cause he was 80 mil upfront.

I’m sure there is value to be had but I am curious to know what people think 70 mil paid over x amount of years can get in 2020. I only really watch the prem so I’m not much of a scout.
Very good point.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
At Lille he was wide forward who thrived on playing quick counterattack football with a fullback holding the width so he can come inside. Now he’s being asked to hug the touchline in a team that is mostly playing against deep blocks where there’s less space.

He’s simply bad fit for what Arteta is demanding from the right winger atm but it’s not his fault.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

On the positive side, look at the ability... I don't think the problem is not knowing what to do or when to do it. I think he just backs himself to carve out a better opening.
Reminds me of myself at powerleague. You’ve just skinned a defender or three and you want to finish it with a meaningful pass or goal (preferably a goal)rather than playing the percentages and putting it in a dangerous area.

:lol:

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
Reminds me of myself at powerleague. You’ve just skinned a defender or three and you want to finish it with a meaningful pass or goal (preferably a goal)rather than playing the percentages and putting it in a dangerous area.

:lol:
Yeah I was going to say reminds me of me before I done my ACL four times in one week. You can only sit a Man United trialist down a certain amount of times before you have to just put the ball in. If you were on the books of a Premier League club, you were just going to ****ing get it, and that’s just the way it was.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Very easy to pick out the deals that look good in hindsight / the ones who haven’t performed yet.

Chelsea also spent £60m on Pulisic, but you’re not going to mention that. Everton spent £50m and ended up with Iwobi and Walcott. Could go on and on.

We’ll be here all day if I started reeling off signings within 60/70M that have worked, no point picking them. My post was more general rather than anything aimed at Pepe.

Camus

Trusted ⭐
People get far too hung up on Pepe’s price. Leave that nonsense to opposition fans.

He’s young, clearly talented, and tied down to a five year contract. Don’t care if it takes him another year or two of development: world class wingers are priceless, and if that’s what he turns out to eventually be then he’ll be worth it.
It's actually us Arsenal fans that should be most hung up with Pepe's price as we're not exactly Moneybags the club. We've entrusted a hefty outlay on him and could be better served strengthening us in other areas, and not only that we're not the type to just write-off a sum like that so it means will have to keep persisting with an under-performing player and prevent us from signing someone that could actually do a better job.

Also, "another year or two"? Potentially three years in total? For what? Who pays 70million on a player to persist with below-bar performances for three? We're nowhere near the calibre of club that can afford to carry a player for three years.

I'd understand you mindset if we we're a City or a Liverpool, but we are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom