• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joe Willock: 2019/2020 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandaid

amazing performance....silky football with a smile.... he will light up many a stadium in the years to come.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Smith-Rowe
Really poor performance. Was invisible mostly. Matteo should have come instead of him.

Impact

Established Member
While Willock wasn’t particularly impressive in this game, I think his potential is massive. Huge physical ceiling married with the technique you’d expect of an Arsenal academy product. We’ll have to structure our attack better to get the most out of him (and Smith-Rowe) though.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
While Willock wasn’t particularly impressive in this game, I think his potential is massive. Huge physical ceiling married with the technique you’d expect of an Arsenal academy product. We’ll have to structure our attack better to get the most out of him (and Smith-Rowe) though.

Not our most talented prospect, but has the potential to truly dominate games in his prime if he develops the right way. Future captain material. The growing pains and frustration will pay dividends in the future.

FinnGooner

Established Member
Not our most talented prospect, but has the potential to truly dominate games in his prime if he develops the right way. Future captain material. The growing pains and frustration will pay dividends in the future.

:lol:

To be fair, you didn’t state on what level he has potential to dominate games, so perhaps you’re right. But if you’re suggesting Willock dominating a game at PL level, that emoji above is a massive understatement.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I like Willock but I would be loaning him out to be honest. I just cant get my head around playing him as a 10. He is good at arriving in the box and getting into goal scoring positions as well as driving through midfield, but he is simply better deeper.

I see him as a Doucoure type. Not the best defensively but able to defend due to physicality. I don't see him on the half 10 as a 10. His first touch isn't good enough. I think he is a box to box 8.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
I like Willock but I would be loaning him out to be honest. I just cant get my head around playing him as a 10. He is good at arriving in the box and getting into goal scoring positions as well as driving through midfield, but he is simply better deeper.

I see him as a Doucoure type. Not the best defensively but able to defend due to physicality. I don't see him on the half 10 as a 10. His first touch isn't good enough. I think he is a box to box 8.

Exactly what I keep saying is the problem with him. He's just better in a deeper role.

He can still make devastating runs from behind breaking through the lines

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
The way he plays football with a lot of contact requires a bit more strength and that will come in a year or two. Doesn't matter which position he plays because he is always doing same things

nick gould

Let's have some honest opinions about our youths. How good can Joe Willock be? Who should he model his game on? What's his best position?

In my opinion, if we need a midfielder in the mould on Frank Lampad or Ramsey in the last years, someone who pops in with goals from mid. Then I am confident that he can be that guy. He has a very good eye for goal and times his runs good when playing as an 8. However, I get the feeling that Arteta and model football, in general, wants more from an 8. Someone who can control the tempo, slow it down when needed, and speed it up when called upon to do so. Someone like Paul Scholes. He can still work if he is partnered with a complementary midfielder. I know he can speed the temp by running and dribbling.

To me he is not a natural 10. He struggles to find spaces in that position.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Let's have some honest opinions about our youths. How good can Joe Willock be? Who should he model his game on? What's his best position?

In my opinion, if we need a midfielder in the mould on Frank Lampad or Ramsey in the last years, someone who pops in with goals from mid. Then I am confident that he can be that guy. He has a very good eye for goal and times his runs good when playing as an 8. However, I get the feeling that Arteta and model football, in general, wants more from an 8. Someone who can control the tempo, slow it down when needed, and speed it up when called upon to do so. Someone like Paul Scholes. He can still work if he is partnered with a complementary midfielder. I know he can speed the temp by running and dribbling.

To me he is not a natural 10. He struggles to find spaces in that position.
He won't amount to anything here unless he's played deeper. He shone last preseason for a reason.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Hugely underrated.

Imagine watching this while he is playing for Getafe. Everyone would be losing their mind. Is there anything he doesn't do in that video? Really grown on me. Love him as an 8, wasted as a 10.

I feel like Arteta has been thinking a lot during the lockdown.

Saka and Willock as twin 8's. Imagine Partey holding.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Imagine watching this while he is playing for Getafe. Everyone would be losing their mind. Is there anything he doesn't do in that video? Really grown on me. Love him as an 8, wasted as a 10.

I feel like Arteta has been thinking a lot during the lockdown.

Saka and Willock as twin 8's. Imagine Partey holding.
There's such a high ceiling with Willock, and it kinda amuses me when people say otherwise. Some kinks in his game that he needs to iron out but honestly I can see him reaching a very high level. Definitely better as an #8 - although there are some advantages to playing him as a #10, there's a few more cons IMO.

Saka as an #8 is such an interesting concept but I'd be surprised if there's any longevity in it. That said, left of a 3 is quite a good synthesis of his abilities as both a winger and a full-back, and he's quite adept in central areas aswell, despite his strong points wide left.

RE Partey, I think even if he does sign, I have a hunch they're gonna fast-track Miguel Azeez. He makes the most sense stylistically as a #6 and the kid himself is a Busquets stan so he would lend considerable technical and athletic quality to a position he actually wants to thrive in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom