• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Grealish or any other ball retaining LW is desperately needed this summer. I'm hearing Grealish has a 45M RC if Villa get relegated.

We could easily sell Laca for that. Seems like such an easy transfer to do so you know we won't do it.
Villa manager said none of his players have a release clause. Don’t think a young English player has ever had a release clause, especially one that is local and from the youth system.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Yep but I think we’re the only stop 6 club that could guarantee him undisputed starter status for 20/21. After that Özil leaves and he becomes our chief creator.

Except we can't guarantee him "undisputed starter status" ....... Grealish screams the type of player who fans will love yet Arteta will hate because he has questionable attitude and doesn't defend hard enough.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
He's arguably the best dribbler in the league.

Not sure why this is seen as controversial. You even used the word arguably. Again not sure why end product is being brought up when discussing how good a dribbler he is, that is a completely separate issue. It's like saying someone is the fastest player in the league but people disagreeing with you because they don't like how that player uses that speed.

There are some good dribblers in this league, players like Mane, Sterling, Salah, Hudson-Odoi even Traore etc. But what you notice with them is that a lot of times they use their pace to dribble past players. Pepe on the other hand hardly ever uses his speed. Most of the time he actually slows down, then from almost stationary position he dribbles past players. An incredibly difficult skill which only elite dribblers are capable of. Imo Saint-Maxamin is the only player currently playing in our league who finds as easy to go past players as Pepe does. Zaha used to but this season he is way below his usual standards.

This is a strange thing to say, but I think part of the reason why Pepe over dribbles is that he finds it so easy to go past players. For the average player if they dribble past a player they will then try to get a cross in or have a shot because they know it is an unnecessary risk to try to dribble past another player and waste that opportunity. For Pepe I think he knows it is his strongest point, he knows he can go past players easily, combined with him not feeling confident using his right foot, it becomes too tempting for him to think 'if I go past this player I might get a one-on-one with the GK' rather than risk a shot/cross. It is the reverse of what most players will do. That makes sense to me, most players won't over dribble because it is a difficult skill to complete so they take the logical and easier option to cross or have a shot. Pepe won't cross or shoot as often because he finds much easier to take on a player than cross/shoot or use his right leg.

This clip shows what I meant when I said he hardly uses pace to get past players. Which is far harder to defend against than say players like Traore who need to utilise their speed to be able to regularly dribble past players.

tcahill

Not sure why this is seen as controversial. You even used the word arguably. Again not sure why end product is being brought up when discussing how good a dribbler he is, that is a completely separate issue. It's like saying someone is the fastest player in the league but people disagreeing with you because they don't like how that player uses that speed.

There are some good dribblers in this league, players like Mane, Sterling, Salah, Hudson-Odoi even Traore etc. But what you notice with them is that a lot of times they use their pace to dribble past players. Pepe on the other hand hardly ever uses his speed. Most of the time he actually slows down, then from almost stationary position he dribbles past players. An incredibly difficult skill which only elite dribblers are capable of. Imo Saint-Maxamin is the only player currently playing in our league who finds as easy to go past players as Pepe does. Zaha used to but this season he is way below his usual standards.

This is a strange thing to say, but I think part of the reason why Pepe over dribbles is that he finds it so easy to go past players. For the average player if they dribble past a player they will then try to get a cross in or have a shot because they know it is an unnecessary risk to try to dribble past another player and waste that opportunity. For Pepe I think he knows it is his strongest point, he knows he can go past players easily, combined with him not feeling confident using his right foot, it becomes too tempting for him to think 'if I go past this player I might get a one-on-one with the GK' rather than risk a shot/cross. It is the reverse of what most players will do. That makes sense to me, most players won't over dribble because it is a difficult skill to complete so they take the logical and easier option to cross or have a shot. Pepe won't cross or shoot as often because he finds much easier to take on a player than cross/shoot or use his right leg.

This clip shows what I meant when I said he hardly uses pace to get past players. Which is far harder to defend against than say players like Traore who need to utilise their speed to be able to regularly dribble past players.

Excellent post. From what I remember Pepe does a lot of waiting with the ball for the defender to make the first move, the beats them after they've committed. In addition he's absolutely rapid, he just rarely uses his pace.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Spot on!

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
I think he needs proper drilling in the training ground and the gym while I think he may benefit more playing closer to a central role than on the wings. Maybe, better of as a second striker if one of Laca or Auba gets sold and we get rid of Özil.

I'd much prefer a 3 man midfield though with 3 forwards. Unless we get a pair of proper high energy attacking fullbacks though we'll continue to struggle up front no matter what we do with the players upfront.

Given the impact Saka has had at LB its easy to see where we need to be finding really really good players. If you look at how Liverpool and City built their team while how the high octane teams like Wolves are playing with emphasis of maximizing spaces out wide, we have follow that route.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
His issue isnt dribbling, thats his strength ffs. It's about him picking the right scenarios to dribble and the right scenario to pass/shoot. I don't know if anyone remembered but at the start of the Everton game he did a little shimmy onto his left foot and had a snap shot, he needs to be using his quick feet like that sometimes to increase his unpredictability for defenders.

It's not only on Pepe though, he is an extremely unique player and has an absurdly high ceiling in my opinion. People who are saying he doesnt have end product are wrong, he missed a few good chances when his confidence was shot but at the same time he's one of the best strikers of a ball in our team. He's got a great technique wrapping his foot around the ball, as well as vision and passing ability.

We need to get him in the right scenarios for him to excel, he's one of those players who are an extreme tactical weapon and I'll be dissapointed if Arteta doesnt start to get more and more out of him. He would be helped if our RB would overlap, and if we had a more effervescent number 8 or number 10, who buzzes around both flanks with a lot of energy, maybe even sometimes occupying the right hand side while Pepe makes an incisive run. We have spent a lot of money on a talented player, now we have to get the best out of him, sorry but players like Özil arent part of the solution. Tactically and positionally Özil is poor, he hasnt had it for a while now.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
At the moment it's a bit easy to block his end product because every defender knows that Özil is not a threat to them so they just focus on Pepe. 2- 3 defenders will always stop him at the end.
Without overlapping RB who would drag one defender away and with a static player like Özil camping next to him, there is not much he can do.

Think this guy would actually do well with someone like fit Ramsey who is always on the move and makes defenders busy. I don't follow football across Europe that much anymore to know some realistic targets for that role.

Planning at this club is beyond joke now. When we had Ramsey we played all the wrong players on that right wing who didn't fit his game so we got rid of him, and now when he's gone we have a perfect player who doesn't have Ramsey :D

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Lol I like how some of his final balls had to be edited out

Clearly talented but a very frustrating and one footed player. I hope he starts to release the ball or decide to shoot a bit quicker/first time a lot more, he’s defo got the technique for it.

He’s quietly been doing alright though second half of the season.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

10 goals/assists in all comps so far. Probably hitting the 15 mark. Not bad.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?

Interesting take by Unai Emery Etxegoien
Maybe this explains why Pepe wasn't a default starter. Think the club did much better with Pepe than we would have with Zaha. Zaha was nothing special this season while Pepe did have some brilliant games.
We'll see what happens next year but I expect Pepe to be our main attacking player and a regular starter.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Maybe this explains why Pepe wasn't a default starter. Think the club did much better with Pepe than we would have with Zaha. Zaha was nothing special this season while Pepe did have some brilliant games.
We'll see what happens next year but I expect Pepe to be our main attacking player and a regular starter.
I don't regret our decision to sign Pepe. He's better than zaha. Zaha has been crap this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom