• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
giphy.gif

FULL TIME: Arsenal Mania 1-0 Özil-Mania

Arsenal supporters celebrate a big victory over the nonsense created by the stans of Özil. Blind player worship and embellishment of career effectiveness in an Arsenal shirt from Mesut’s cult was challenging to break down, various members have tried, but top drawer posting from @say yes proves to be the difference today. Take a bow son.
That annihilation was one of very few good things to come out of this lockdown. Like watching the dying embers of a tramps warmth get obliterated by a freezing 2 minute downpour. The tramp is no more, but the skies are blue.

Corbulo

Fabregas was on another level, arguably the best CM in the world during two seasons. He made a Togolese scrub look like Drogba.

It's fair to say that Özil is the most overrated Arsenal player in the club's history. Even Nasri had a bigger impact.

Our Fortnite player had a big status when he came here. He was supposed to be a game-changer who would help elevate us from a top-four team in to potential Premier League champions. I know, I know. It's never his fault and he's dominating the pre-pre-pre assists stats.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
Fabregas was on another level, arguably the best CM in the world during two seasons. He made a Togolese scrub look like Drogba.

It's fair to say that Özil is the most overrated Arsenal player in the club's history. Even Nasri had a bigger impact.

Our Fortnite player had a big status when he came here. He was supposed to be a game-changer who would help elevate us from a top-four team in to potential Premier League champions. I know, I know. It's never his fault and he's dominating the pre-pre-pre assists stats.

Please reinstate The Lobby..

musoke

Haters will kill me for it but damn I have some respect for Mesut. He called out the DFB, essentially said screw you to the whole of Germany, had Erdogan marry him after half of Europe lost their **** after a simple foto with him, didn’t buckle down for Chinese commercial interest like so many did, and now he won’t accept a paycut from Arsenal just because others have.

You can say what you want about him on the pitch, but off it he has some serious backbone. :lol:
On the pitch he is as soft as jelly. He is very weak face to face. Always hides when the going gets tough.

Did you watch that episode where him and Kolasinac were being attacked by the moped mob? He hid inside his car windows fully up while Kolasinac was left on his own to take on 2 criminals.

Özil comes off as a typical social media warrior. Keyboard warrior. Very weak face to face but once he gets on his social media in the comfort of his own home then that is when he shows his bravery on all matters.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Yep.

All time stats in an Arsenal shirt:
1. Fabregas: 23936 mins, 57g, 92a, 160.6 mins per goal or assist
2. Özil: 20949 mins, 44g, 77a, 173.1 mins per goals or assist

Cesc cored more, assisted more, and did both at a higher rate considering minutes played.

However, that comparison is actually quite unfair on Cesc given that his first four seasons here were spent developing as a kid whereas Özil joined as a developed superstar. If we were only to compare Fabregas from 07/08 onwards (his breakout season) with Özil then we get the following results:

Stats following Fabregas's breakout season (07/08):

1. Fabregas: 12371 mins, 44g, 74a, 104.8 mins per goal or assist

So Cesc not only wins, but wipes the floor with Mesut.

However, once again you could argue that comparison is unfair on Cesc given that he didn't start playing as a "10" until the 2009/2010 season. Before then he had been playing in a deeper midfield role, where you would expect him to be less productive. Özil, in comparison, has always played in an advanced role for us. If we were only to compare Fabregas's stats with Özil when playing the same role then we get the following results:

Stats following Fabregas's move to "10" role:
1. Fabregas: 5612 mins, 28g, 36a, 87.8 mins per goal or assist

Özil's atomised body practically needs to be wiped off the floor at this point, with Fabregas proving to have been virtually twice as productive as Mesut while playing in a 10 role.

"bUt CeSc neVer HAd a seAsoN as GoOd as mEsUT iN 15/16"

Yes, he really did.
1. Cesc 09/10: 3068 mins, 19g, 20a, 78.7 mins per goal or assist
2. Cesc 10/11: 2544 mins, 9g, 16a, 101.8 mins per goal or assist
3. Cesc 07/08: 3889 mins, 13g, 22, 111.1 mins per goal or assist
4. Özil 15/16: 3940 mins, 8g, 20a, 140.7 mins per goal or assist
5. Özil 16/17: 3746 mins, 12g, 14a, 144.1 mins per goal or assist

And none of that is even taking account Cesc’s much greater involvement in our build up play / defensive involvements. Cesc @ Arsenal was absolute levels above Özil @ Arsenal.
You're comparing Fabregas playing under Wenger at his peak, to Özil playing under him when you believe he was in decline.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
You're comparing Fabregas playing under Wenger at his peak, to Özil playing under him when you believe he was in decline.

He wasn't in decline.

Just didn't perform on his usual level for long periods of time and wasn't same player like in Real and German national team for variety of reasons.

If he was in big decline,should go to USA or China,were players wanted to get more money and to finish career.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
He wasn't in decline.

Just didn't perform on his usual level for long periods of time and wasn't same player like in Real and German national team for variety of reasons.

If he was in big decline,should go to USA or China,were players wanted to get more money and to finish career.
I'm talking about Wenger.

say yes

forum master baiter
Only think Özil was in decline post-2017ish.

Fabregas’ stats are still better than Özil’s if we exclude that period, and are comfortably so if we only deal with the years of Cesc’s peak in an Arsenal shirt (e.g. excluding pre-2007 years) . Take a look at a list of their best season’s if you don’t believe me.

I can understand the argument that Bremen / Real Özil is comparable to Cesc, but at Arsenal there is no contest.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Only think Özil was in decline post-2017ish.

Fabregas’ stats are still better than Özil’s if we exclude that period, and are comfortably so if we only deal with the years of Cesc’s peak in an Arsenal shirt (e.g. excluding pre-2007 years) . Take a look at a list of their best season’s if you don’t believe me.

I can understand the argument that Bremen / Real Özil is comparable to Cesc, but at Arsenal there is no contest.
Nah, I mean you think Wenger was in decline at that point so surely if that's the case he'd struggle to get the best out of his players?

James Bond

Moderation Consultant

I'm talking about Wenger.

Nah, I mean you think Wenger was in decline at that point so surely if that's the case he'd struggle to get the best out of his players?

Wenger.jpg

Why do you look at me?

Don’t do this. Wenger took enough bullets protecting Özil, defending Mesut’s limp performances and lack of consistency, but here you are lining Arsène up to take some strays one more time to protect his honor. :lol:

Giroud, Cazorla’s leg, Xhaka, German FA, Emery, Carjackers, and now Wenger. Arsenal life has been tough on our little Mesut...so much holding him back.

Last edited:

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
@Macho @Jae @Jury

If it’s me that you three clowns are calling for, actually @ me next time because I don’t check many threads unless I’m replied to in them.

Also please quote to me where I’m a pro-Özil no mark? Oh right that’s because you can’t. My point was that players getting wage cuts to fund the transfer budget is ridiculous and if it happened in any other line of work it’d be a national outrage.

In fact if anything I’ve said that we shouldn’t have signed Özil to a new contract before probably any of you, I’ve thought he’s been washed for months if not years and fully admit that pre-Barca move Cesc was better than Özil has ever been for us.

If you want to completely misrepresent my point with the banter argument of “hurr durr my player is better than yours” save it for someone it actually applies to yeah?

I don’t like Fabregas based on footballing reasons but he seems like a decent guy away from that. I’ve always maintained that footballers should take wage cuts so Cesc should be applauded for that, my point was that I am uncomfortable for it going to clubs rather than charity in a time of national crisis. That’s all?

But nah you three actually want to turn wage cuts into a p*ssing contest to bash “Özil fanboys” with. Big brain stuff lads. :lol:
Yep, "probably", Mr. Rex. Me and @Jury were banging on about since that night Mesut's mum was....

Anyway, Cesc and Özil comparison is a massive joke. Cesc wins by an unreachable distance.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Smith-Rowe
Yep.

All time stats in an Arsenal shirt:
1. Fabregas: 23936 mins, 57g, 92a, 160.6 mins per goal or assist

Cesc cored more, assisted more, and did both at a higher rate considering minutes played.

However, that comparison is actually quite unfair on Cesc given that his first four seasons here were spent developing as a kid whereas Özil joined as a developed superstar. If we were only to compare Fabregas from 07/08 onwards (his breakout season) with Özil then we get the following results:

Stats following Fabregas's breakout season (07/08):

1. Fabregas: 12371 mins, 44g, 74a, 104.8 mins per goal or assist

So Cesc not only wins, but wipes the floor with Mesut.

However, once again you could argue that comparison is unfair on Cesc given that he didn't start playing as a "10" until the 2009/2010 season. Before then he had been playing in a deeper midfield role, where you would expect him to be less productive. Özil, in comparison, has always played in an advanced role for us. If we were only to compare Fabregas's stats with Özil when playing the same role then we get the following results:

Stats following Fabregas's move to "10" role:
1. Fabregas: 5612 mins, 28g, 36a, 87.8 mins per goal or assist

Özil's atomised body practically needs to be wiped off the floor at this point, with Fabregas proving to have been virtually twice as productive as Mesut while playing in a 10 role.

"bUt CeSc neVer HAd a seAsoN as GoOd as mEsUT iN 15/16"

Yes, he really did.
1. Cesc 09/10: 3068 mins, 19g, 20a, 78.7 mins per goal or assist
2. Cesc 10/11: 2544 mins, 9g, 16a, 101.8 mins per goal or assist
3. Cesc 07/08: 3889 mins, 13g, 22, 111.1 mins per goal or assist
4. Özil 15/16: 3940 mins, 8g, 20a, 140.7 mins per goal or assist
5. Özil 16/17: 3746 mins, 12g, 14a, 144.1 mins per goal or assist

And none of that is even taking account Cesc’s much greater involvement in our build up play / defensive involvements. Cesc @ Arsenal was absolute levels above Özil @ Arsenal.

same stats for Bergkamp - who played in the most successful Arsenal team out of the 3 with peak Wenger and Henry and in always well advanced roles:
28288 mins, 109g, 71a, 157.2 mins per goal or assist

So according to your comparison, No.10 Cesc and post breakout period Cesc better than Dennis? All time Cesc (~160 mins per g+a) = Dennis?

scytheavatar

Established Member

Wenger was in decline precisely because he put his faith in bums like Özil to carry the team, and paid the price. Wenger at his prime would have told Özil in 2017/18 to get the freak out of the club, rather than coddle him and give him preferential treatment.

say yes

forum master baiter
same stats for Bergkamp - who played in the most successful Arsenal team out of the 3 with peak Wenger and Henry and in always well advanced roles:
28288 mins, 109g, 71a, 157.2 mins per goal or assist

So according to your comparison, No.10 Cesc and post breakout period Cesc better than Dennis? All time Cesc (~160 mins per g+a) = Dennis?
I’m always cautious of including older players like Bergkamp in these comparisons as am not sure how reliable those figures are (e.g. assists weren’t actively recorded at that time).

For example, on transfermarkt - which, unless I’m wrong, is where you’ve taken those stats from - Bergkamp is recorded as having 0 assists (!) in his first two seasons with the club, which is clearly not accurate. Their goals tally also seems to be depressed, with club records actually having him down for 120.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Wenger was in decline precisely because he put his faith in bums like Özil to carry the team, and paid the price. Wenger at his prime would have told Özil in 2017/18 to get the freak out of the club, rather than coddle him and give him preferential treatment.
The biggest cause of Wenger's decline was keeping faith in not just bums, but Crocks. Regarding guys like Elneny with new contracts. It was all too much to bear. At the end, he rightfully paid for it.

If he was half as ruthless as pep or Mou, I'm not sure we would be talking about decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom