• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Willian

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 2,913
  • Views 231,496

Would you be happy with the Willian signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Appalling signing this would be.

tumblr_osmi66dZmo1s2wio8o1_540.gif

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I'd be fine with this if it was a 2 year deal, but even then can people name me some wingers who have continued to be a very good player past 33-34?

Joaquin springs to mind but theres not many to be honest.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

I was against signing this guy at first but taken some thought into it now, he'd probably be an alright signing for a year or 2 max especially if it's a free transfer, probably still got a good few years left in him but I wouldn't take him on for 3 years straight, 2 years perhaps with an option of a 3rd year. He is rather versatile in positions & he'd probably be good to give experience to guys like Martinelli & Saka (if he stays) to take over from him.

He can probably play on either wing & centrally aswell, as can Pepe I'd say would be able to play centrally aswell so those 2 could rotate a bit. Give him 2 years perhaps with an option for a 3rd if he's still going well otherwise we can let him go.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I'd be fine with this if it was a 2 year deal, but even then can people name me some wingers who have continued to be a very good player past 33-34?

Joaquin springs to mind but theres not many to be honest.

Ribery and Robben. We could count C. Ron. Giggs.

You're right it's a love number, but Willian is a playmaker and not a flying winger. He'd be okay.

He's been Chelsea's best player along with Kovacic this season.

GDeep™

League is very weak
You have to be daft to want Willian. He’s only coming because we are giving something that Chelsea won’t, think about that. Why should we give him a 3 year deal if the club and manager who know him more than most and have worked with him for 10 years don’t want to make that investment? Some of you will kid yourselves by pretending it’s a 2+1 deal.

Nothing exciting about investing up to 20M in a winger that is playing for you between the ages of 32-35, having played his best years for a rival. This when your club and it’s fans are crying poverty and is already struggling with players who are either finished or not performing and are on big contracts.

If you want Willian you’re a daft, I don’t care. I’m not asking for a lot, sign a young player? Play our kids? Don’t throw money at another old player from our rivals.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
It's a signing that makes sense if he's Özil's replacement at ACM. What we have lacked in recent years is consistent peformers and Willian is a consistently good player. Whilst Özil on his day is superb, he's a inconsistent player on ridiculous high wage at the same age as Willian. Also Willian was more productive at ACM this season than on either wing.

Last edited:

truth_hurts

It's a signing that makes sense if he's Özil's replacement at ACM. What we have lacked in recent years is consistent peformers and Willian is a consistently good player. Whilst Özil on his day is superb, he's a inconsistent player on ridiculous high wage at the same age as Willian. Also Willian was more productive at ACM this season than on either wing.

Couldn't agree more. He can play right, left or centrally, would be free and is a better example for our young bucks going forward than Özil. Lose Mkhi this summer, Özil next summer and let the youngsters fight it out whilst Willian and Pepe bring some much needed experience to our attack.

Willian is and has been super consistent.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Yeah, could see him form a balanced midfield trio if we sign Partey and Torreira I guess.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
You have to be daft to want Willian. He’s only coming because we are giving something that Chelsea won’t, think about that. Why should we give him a 3 year deal if the club and manager who know him more than most and have worked with him for 10 years don’t want to make that investment? Some of you will kid yourselves by pretending it’s a 2+1 deal.

Nothing exciting about investing up to 20M in a winger that is playing for you between the ages of 32-35, having played his best years for a rival. This when your club and it’s fans are crying poverty and is already struggling with players who are either finished or not performing and are on big contracts.

If you want Willian you’re a daft, I don’t care. I’m not asking for a lot, sign a young player? Play our kids? Don’t throw money at another old player from our rivals.

Personally think Chelsea and our situations are very different, they have Hudson-Odoi on 100k in that position and are signing Ziyech who I assume will be the main man on the right side, can see why they dont want to offer Willian any more years extension than they have done.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Personally think Chelsea and our situations are very different, they have Hudson-Odoi on 100k in that position and are signing Ziyech who I assume will be the main man on the right side, can see why they dont want to offer Willian any more years extension than they have done.

Yeah Chelsea's policy seems to be getting out the aging players like Willian, Luiz, etc and signing players either just entering their peak years or promoting from within. Pulisic, Ziyech and Kovacic their recent recruitments all seem like smart signings then you add the likes of Abraham, CHO, James, Gimour, Tomori, Mount. It makes sense that with this policy (tho somewhat forced on them) would see them parting with players like Willian, Luiz and even Cahill last summer.

I look at it and see it as a smarter strategy than ours tbh. We're taking the likes of Sokratis, Luiz and potentially Willian for a year or two, most of them not contributing a great deal or improving us significantly even in the short term. I'd rather do what Chelsea are doing or even what Untied seem to be doing and playing the long-ish game with their signings and their policy of promoting youth too. Perhaps in the short-term it doesn't guarantee much but if you stick with these lads they'll eventually improve and will help you become more competitive.

truth_hurts

I don't get why Willian wants a 3 year deal? Sign a 1 or 2 year deal and get another tidy sign on fee as a free agent. Surely more lucrative than being locked in for 3 years and a club having to pay a fee within that?

Welbeck was on 100k, Mkhi is allegedly on 140+. Willian would be more useful than both as a sometimes starter and squaddie.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

For me United and Chelsea are both moving in the right direction now, you can question both Ole and Lampard but what they're doing in terms of their recruitment and their policies for the most part seem like the right way to go. We have to be careful here, I don't mind the odd player being signed if he's 30+ but if you're doing that every summer with players clearly on the decline then it doesn't really help things at all.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
What I don't trust about this potential signing is Raul. I get the impression he'd chain the club to some horrible, Özil-esque deal to get this done.

This is when Josh needs to step in.

truth_hurts

For me United and Chelsea are both moving in the right direction now, you can question both Ole and Lampard but what they're doing in terms of their recruitment and their policies for the most part seem like the right way to go. We have to be careful here, I don't mind the odd player being signed if he's 30+ but if you're doing that every summer with players clearly on the decline then it doesn't really help things at all.

Chelsea and United have been investing heavily in players in their mid to late 20s. They had already young squads.

We don't have many players in their 30s. I'd say only Sokratis, Luiz, Özil, Mkhi and Auba are? Sokratis will probably be sold. Özil, Mkhi, Luiz and Auba are all out of contract next summer and we'll probably only try to extend the contract of one if them.

Willian in for Özil and Mkhi seems smart. I'd also happily take Mertens or Cavani on a 2 year deal.

Willian improves us. Not to worry though, Jose will probably sign him

zilfy

I'd rather do what Chelsea are doing or even what Untied seem to be doing and playing the long-ish game with their signings and their policy of promoting youth too
Perhaps signing Willian is playing the long game?
Let's say you bought someone in their mid twenties and played him at LW- how many years would it be until saka/martinelli had a chance to be a regular in the team?

Or at AM- how many years until Smith-Rowe gets a chance to be a regular?

With Willian you get 2 years and then martinelli/saka/Smith-Rowe and others can then take over as starters- saving tens of millions on external transfers.

Willians just a placeholder until the youngsters are to speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom