• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta and Edu Transfer Targets: Summer 2020

Which signing would you prioritize of the two?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Do you actually watch our matches? He's improved significantly under Arteta and has been our best CB.

Yes Luiz can pick out a nice pass but he's still very poor defensively. Luiz Gives far too much space to opponents when their attempting to take him on and fails to close them down. Have we ever had a defender that is a lbigger iability when it comes to defending set pieces than Luiz? I can't think of anyone who comes remotely close to being as bad, he just goes to pieces.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Yes Luiz can pick out a nice pass but he's still very poor defensively. Luiz Gives far too much space to opponents when their attempting to take him on and fails to close them down. Have we ever had a defender that is a lbigger iability when it comes to defending set pieces than Luiz? I can't think of anyone who comes remotely close to being as bad, he just goes to pieces.
Im not saying he will be able to consistently offer it but since Arteta came in Luiz has had some imperious games for us. Vs Bournemouth, United (and I think one more) he was heading everything out of sight, and kept the defence organised.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I watched him in an U23 match earlier in the season and Harry Clarke looked better :lol:

That said, he was fine in the other 2 matches I watched, if a little slow.

I think it's totally unrealistic to expect anything big from him. If he ended up just being able to cope with PL football i'd take that as a good result all things considered.

He doesn't have the physical profile we've been lacking, which is a really strong and athletic defender. He'd have to somehow be a defensive genius to make up for that, and I doubt a defensive genius was kicking about in Brazil in his mid 2o's.

Upamecano is the sort of profile we'd be better off with.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think it's totally unrealistic to expect anything big from him. If he ended up just being able to cope with PL football i'd take that as a good result all things considered.

He doesn't have the physical profile we've been lacking, which is a really strong and athletic defender. He'd have to somehow be a defensive genius to make up for that, and I doubt a defensive genius was kicking about in Brazil in his mid 2o's.

And even he is being a tad overrated aswell. Profile-wise he makes perfect sense - particularly factoring in Saliba's profile - but he's VERY rash at times. Last time I saw him over 90 mins, both him and Konate looked real shaky. But they're young guys, they'll shake that off over time. I feel for young defenders tbh, they are often the real late bloomers. Saliba looks to be an exception and even then, he's still largely an unknown when it comes to the PL.

I agree on Mari BTW - he's not the profile I would have expected us to go for.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Draxler and Gotze! @Toby Andrl and @Notorious Big to still be the best Germans at Arsenal for years to come!

giphy.gif

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐

We seem to never get the right profile when it comes to CB :lol:

Until Saliba we had so many weak and not particularly fast CBS. Holding, Chambers, Mustafi, Luiz. It seems like we never go for players who are both fast and strong.

When you sign someone who isn’t very mobile and not particularly good in the air or dominant then they better be elite positionally and tactically. Especially the way we defend.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
We seem to never get the right profile when it comes to CB :lol:

Until Saliba we had so many weak and not particularly fast CBS. Holding, Chambers, Mustafi, Luiz. It seems like we never go for players who are both fast and strong.

When you sign someone who isn’t very mobile and not particularly good in the air or dominant then they better be elite positionally and tactically. Especially the way we defend.
In Mari's defence, he's very tall and good in the air so that's a useful profile for us to have - but being a slow, relatively unagile(?) defender it's difficult to mitigate that weakness in our squads current iteration. Mavropanos also has a great foundational base to work with in terms of profile (big, strong, fast, great in the air) but his problems seem to be more to do with nerves and injuries than ability and instincts.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

We have Saliba now. Granted he's still 2 or 3 years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom