• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
We aren't competing for top 4 this year with Auba so why is it a big loss if we can sell him? We are 9th 8 points out of 4th and our first game up is away to City with Auba in the squad playing regularly. I haven't seen anything from Auba that tells me he will carry this squad to top 4 next season. He's not a leader type.

Reactions: roz

Burt Gold

@Burt Gold we're not going to compete for the title next year, but without Auba I fear we're not competing for top4, which is worth 50m by itself.

Generally I agree with what you say. I would make an exception for Auba as we really can't do without him unless we get a top striker to replace him. Ideally, we extend his contract with one year with a solid pay raise and a soft release clause for next summer (say €25m). That allows us one year to rebuild the spine before replacing the tip of the spear.
I think having Lacazette, Nketiah and Martinelli and then potentially spending the Auba money on another attacker Edouard, David, Milik we aren't that much worse off and we are better going forward.

Obviously if Auba will sign lets sign him but if not I'd take Partey for 5 years over Auba for 1.

Burt Gold

Couldn't have worded it better. Plus, @Burt Gold as much as Ramsey was a good player for us, he was never the talisman. His situation isn't comparable to Auba.
It's comparable in that we let him go for nothing. We gambled that he would help us get to the CL and it didn't work. 50m down the drain. Imagine who we could have bought for 50 mil.

Auba is an amazing player but just to point to empirical evidence Auba hasn't made Arsenal better. We were 2nd, 3rd, 5th before he came, we've been 6th, 5th and prob around the same this yr since.

Again the Partey for 5 yrs vs Auba for 1 is the question because if Auba goes we will get new exciting players to replace him with that money and considering striker is our only position of strength the decision is made even easier.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
We aren't competing for top 4 this year with Auba so why is it a big loss if we can sell him? We are 9th 8 points out of 4th and our first game up is away to City with Auba in the squad playing regularly. I haven't seen anything from Auba that tells me he will carry this squad to top 4 next season. He's not a leader type.
He scored 45% of our league goals, where do you think we'd been without him? Can't fault the guy, he's not the reason we're so sh*t.

A straight swap between Partey and Auba in our current state won't get us top 4 next season either. We'd probably be even lower on the table, although our general play will improve.

The thing is, we need to rebuild our problem areas and keep our one(!) strength in our line-up.

I think having Lacazette, Nketiah and Martinelli and then potentially spending the Auba money on another attacker Edouard, David, Milik we aren't that much worse off and we are better going forward.

Obviously if Auba will sign lets sign him but if not I'd take Partey for 5 years over Auba for 1.
Fair enough. I just don't rate Lacazette. We can sell Lacazette (for less than Auba) to raise funds for other positions. Auba, Nketiah, Martinelli is enough for me for next season, a season where we need to rebuild. Gives us one more year to replace our main striker. If there's money left over I would not mind Edouard or David, though.

db10fan

Not close to 4th with or without him is my point. He's not going to get us close next season either.
Yeah will be closer to relegation without Auba.
He is our only reliable goalscorer, 45% of our league goals are his. Our only strength.
We are mid table cause of the **** show in midfield and defense, even though Auba is scoring for fun from not many chances created for him.
Fact is no player we have or can realistically get can score as many as Auba.
Also more likely even if we improve our midfield and defense using funds from selling Auba (which IMO wont be enough for new CM and CB), and thus concedes less goals, we will have worse goal difference as none can score like Auba. Nketiah and Gabi is not ready yet.
Its better to sell the deadwood, sell Laca, use the funds to quickly get new top CM and new top LW/CB, then convince Auba to stay while Nketiah and Gabi gets Laca's minutes to grow.
But if Auba told to club he wants to go then yes, sell him, and sell Laca too, then get new top CF prospect, and help fund a new top CM. New top CF prospect, Gabi and Nketiah, supported with a new top CM will be a better gamble than Laca, Gabi, and Nketiah.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Let's hope so it'll save us alot of money so we can only strength the midfield and defense and not thinking about buying his replacement

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
He's not even playing in his best position so either get rid of him or Laca and stop stifling the young players on our wings.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
He's not even playing in his best position so either get rid of him or Laca and stop stifling the young players on our wings.
Yh this is true. If we are playing Auba out of his favoured position then is there any point pushing the boat out for him to stay?

For me it depends on the offers for him. We cant let him leave for free or for under £30m, it wouldnt give us enough money to sign a replacement.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If I were him I wouldn't stay. How can his last big contract be to help a rebuild and win nothing. He deserves a champions league fighting team and a team fighting for the league. I'm surprised PSG haven't come knocking.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
If I were him I wouldn't stay. How can his last big contract be to help a rebuild and win nothing. He deserves a champions league fighting team and a team fighting for the league. I'm surprised PSG haven't come knocking.
PSG decided to buy the bum Icardi.
Auba's last chances are Barca and Inter I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

In a football match anything can happen, the players, 90 minutes, fantastic moves, an element of luck, talent, courage, and touch of magic and, for those who are watching these men play, the search for excitement, for a memory, for a lesson in life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom