• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles: 2019/2020 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyfreak

He made his club debut in CL replacing Aaron Ramsey back in 2014. And, in 2016-17 season, he made appearances at right back and midfield. Seems like you're the one unaware here.
Umm no. You mentioned that Wenger liked to play young midfielders out wide. But how can Wenger shove him out wide when he was always a winger in the academy? And it was Wenger himself who tried to convert him to a CM/DM.

lazyfreak

He played in midfield again. There was a repeat of Luiz to AMN long ball, he headed it down to Lacazette who couldn't keep his shot down. His ball control and concentration let him down near the edge of our box and that led to their goal.

You can even see him nochalantly jogging back in the lead up to their first goal.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
This guy is Midtable quality. A lot of people think he's very good. I just don't see it.

I hope he turns it around, but I'm not holding my breath

nick gould

This guy is Midtable quality. A lot of people think he's very good. I just don't see it.

I hope he turns it around, but I'm not holding my breath
Actually, a lot of people say he's mid-table quality. The argument for him is that he does possess Athleticism and stamina that top players like Kante have. If he can cut down on being too laid back and increase his focus, maybe he can make it. It's a big if and an equally big maybe.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Actually, a lot of people say he's mid-table quality. The argument for him is that he does possess Athleticism and stamina that top players like Kante have. If he can cut down on being too laid back and increase his focus, maybe he can make it. It's a big if and an equally big maybe.

Except top players like Kante have more than just athleticism and stamina......... they possess awareness, football IQ, know where to position themselves....... our midfielders are not good enough because they lack those things. It is not clear to me how AMN isn't more of the same flat track bully material.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Except top players like Kante have more than just athleticism and stamina......... they possess awareness, football IQ, know where to position themselves....... our midfielders are not good enough because they lack those things. It is not clear to me how AMN isn't more of the same flat track bully material.

At 22 Kante was playing in France and was unknown. He didnt really kick on until he was 24-25. AMN has time to learn. Whether he has the ability is another question.

nick gould

https://theathletic.com/1861806/202...eld-arteta-wenger/?source=user-shared-article

Good article from the athletic about AMN unfortunately people have to subscribe to read it. In brief, they are saying the lockdown has provided a lifeline for AMN. Before lockdown he was a forgotten player because he kept giving excuses for poor performances at right back instead of grabbing his chances like Saka. The post mentions that AMN sees himself as a right winger. I know he played there at Ipswich, but for me, I don't think he would make a good winger in the formation that we use. In a 4-4-2 maybe he could be our ray parlour. Anyway the article goes on to say he was dropped and Socratis was used as a backup right back in his place. The onus is on him to prove in training that he wants it more than anyone else. Apparently Dani wasn't in Arteta's plans to begin with. But instead of hanging his head in shame, he worked harder and forced his way into the manager's plans.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I love these double standards by our fans and managers expecting everything from the youngsters. Work harder than everyone else, be happy to play whatever position, be happy to be on the bench when managers have their brain farts, be happy to earn much less than the seniors even when you play better than some of them, no mistakes in games allowed. You miss out on one of those things and you're done here.
At the same time, seniors can walk around the pitch if they want, earn massive money doing nothing and hoping others will do the job for them, repeating the same mistakes week after week and one can only imagine how hard they work in training when they barely do anything on a match day.

We basically have 3-4 seniors doing their job, everyone else is just happy to be there and they are lucky that someone will do the job for them. I would much rather watch young useless players on 10-40k than watch senior useless players on 60-350k.

Take out Auba, Leno, Laca and Pepe from this squad and we would have a Championship side where it wouldn't matter if our first team would have Özil+Xhaka or ESR+AMN. It would still be the same result but we would spend 10 times less money

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I love these double standards by our fans and managers expecting everything from the youngsters. Work harder than everyone else, be happy to play whatever position, be happy to be on the bench when managers have their brain farts, be happy to earn much less than the seniors even when you play better than some of them, no mistakes in games allowed. You miss out on one of those things and you're done here.
At the same time, seniors can walk around the pitch if they want, earn massive money doing nothing and hoping others will do the job for them, repeating the same mistakes week after week and one can only imagine how hard they work in training when they barely do anything on a match day.

We basically have 3-4 seniors doing their job, everyone else is just happy to be there and they are lucky that someone will do the job for them. I would much rather watch young useless players on 10-40k than watch senior useless players on 60-350k.

Take out Auba, Leno, Laca and Pepe from this squad and we would have a Championship side where it wouldn't matter if our first team would have Özil+Xhaka or ESR+AMN. It would still be the same result but we would spend 10 times less money
I kinda agree with what you’re saying. I feel like we expect the youngsters to work their arses off to save this club from mediocrity while the older players continuously let us down and no manager asks them to be in positions they’re not used to. Özil has been a bum since 2017 and not once have you seen him have to work hard to get his place back. In fact, Emery, for all his faults was the first manager to try until he bottled it.

I don’t care how much of a bum lick Xhaka and Mustafi are. I don’t care how many goals Lacazette score in training. When it really matters these guys go missing or mess up but they’ll get their position back in no time but AMN does not want to play in a position he never claimed to be in gets vilified by the fans for not being a great right back. Why? Hence why I have an issue about the wage cuts. Why doesn’t Lacazette or Özil take a bigger cut to cover the youngsters? But that’s another story.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I kinda agree with what you’re saying. I feel like we expect the youngsters to work their arses off to save this club from mediocrity while the older players continuously let us down and no manager asks them to be in positions they’re not used to. Özil has been a bum since 2017 and not once have you seen him have to work hard to get his place back. In fact, Emery, for all his faults was the first manager to try until he bottled it.

I don’t care how much of a bum lick Xhaka and Mustafi are. I don’t care how many goals Lacazette score in training. When it really matters these guys go missing or mess up but they’ll get their position back in no time but AMN does not want to play in a position he never claimed to be in gets vilified by the fans for not being a great right back. Why? Hence why I have an issue about the wage cuts. Why doesn’t Lacazette or Özil take a bigger cut to cover the youngsters? But that’s another story.
I agree with most of the post but I'm somewhat dubious about the end and I have to say the bolded isn't entirely accurate - since Arteta's become head coach, Özil's been working harder than he has for a long time. He hasn't produced much end product but he's been ok.

I agree with most of the post but I'm somewhat dubious about the end and I have to say the bolded isn't entirely accurate - since Arteta's become head coach, Özil's been working harder than he has for a long time. He hasn't produced much end product but he's been ok.

I think Arteta identified that our defenders are so terrible and midfield offers no shielding at all that he has been making the team working extra hard defensively. I think Özil, Auba and Laca has suffered from that a little bit when it comes to the attack.

The Arteta ball is very demanding. Hopefully, we will be 100% correct on the defensive reinforcements in the next 1-2 years.

scytheavatar

Established Member
https://theathletic.com/1861806/202...eld-arteta-wenger/?source=user-shared-article

Good article from the athletic about AMN unfortunately people have to subscribe to read it. In brief, they are saying the lockdown has provided a lifeline for AMN. Before lockdown he was a forgotten player because he kept giving excuses for poor performances at right back instead of grabbing his chances like Saka. The post mentions that AMN sees himself as a right winger. I know he played there at Ipswich, but for me, I don't think he would make a good winger in the formation that we use. In a 4-4-2 maybe he could be our ray parlour. Anyway the article goes on to say he was dropped and Socratis was used as a backup right back in his place. The onus is on him to prove in training that he wants it more than anyone else. Apparently Dani wasn't in Arteta's plans to begin with. But instead of hanging his head in shame, he worked harder and forced his way into the manager's plans.

AMN IS a right winger, he is obviously a lot more comfortable in his opponent's half than in his own half. Removing defensive responsibility from him is IMHO the secret to getting the most out of him. But yeah in a big club AMN is certainly not good enough to be a starter as a right winger, which is why I support selling him. It might be the best for both player and club if AMN builds his career in a midtable side cause that is his level.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
AMN IS a right winger, he is obviously a lot more comfortable in his opponent's half than in his own half. Removing defensive responsibility from him is IMHO the secret to getting the most out of him. But yeah in a big club AMN is certainly not good enough to be a starter as a right winger, which is why I support selling him. It might be the best for both player and club if AMN builds his career in a midtable side cause that is his level.

Nobody knows what he is because he hasn't played in any position for a consistent period of time other than full back. He played right wing at Ipswich but also played holding midfielder for England under 20.

He has a skillset that suits central midfield but concentration and application are his supposed weaknesses. Even though we haven't actually seen him in that position for a sustained period of time. It isn't all theory though.

When we judge players we use stats and we talk about potential. With young players it is all about your ceiling and how often you hit it. Are you a young player who has one outstanding game and who is then mediocre. Or are you a dependable player who has a base game or are you a top player who always hits the heights.

We have experienced base level players. Xhaka has a base. He never does better than his base. However he can't do worse. It's the same for all of our experienced players.

When you look at youth. We have seen Guendouzi's top level. Away to Man city last season. Have we seen it since? He has had plenty of opportunities to show it. We have seen AMN have a top game in cm at old Trafford away. Seen it since? Hasn't been given the chance.

Martinelli has been consistent as has Saka. I really like AMN as I believe he has the skillset. Whether he can put it all together is another thing, but you need to consider tha he is 22 and and 22 Partey was barely getting 13 starts a season for Atletico. So why the pressure for AMN to be world class already? Most 22 year old central midfielders are full of errors and up and downs .

But you know what? Our 27 year old international players shouldn't be. And they are.

lazyfreak

Nobody knows what he is because he hasn't played in any position for a consistent period of time other than full back. He played right wing at Ipswich but also played holding midfielder for England under 20.

He has a skillset that suits central midfield but concentration and application are his supposed weaknesses. Even though we haven't actually seen him in that position for a sustained period of time. It isn't all theory though.

When we judge players we use stats and we talk about potential. With young players it is all about your ceiling and how often you hit it. Are you a young player who has one outstanding game and who is then mediocre. Or are you a dependable player who has a base game or are you a top player who always hits the heights.

We have experienced base level players. Xhaka has a base. He never does better than his base. However he can't do worse. It's the same for all of our experienced players.

When you look at youth. We have seen Guendouzi's top level. Away to Man city last season. Have we seen it since? He has had plenty of opportunities to show it. We have seen AMN have a top game in cm at old Trafford away. Seen it since? Hasn't been given the chance.

Martinelli has been consistent as has Saka. I really like AMN as I believe he has the skillset. Whether he can put it all together is another thing, but you need to consider tha he is 22 and and 22 Partey was barely getting 13 starts a season for Atletico. So why the pressure for AMN to be world class already? Most 22 year old central midfielders are full of errors and up and downs .

But you know what? Our 27 year old international players shouldn't be. And they are.
Nobody knows what he is?! lol. He was brought through as a right winger. Even when he was in the process of being converted to a CM/DM, he still considered the wing his "natural position". Hell, even when he did that "I'm not a defender" interview, he stated that he wanted to play in midfield, "either central or on the wing".

For England's youth teams, he wasn't strictly a holding midfielder. He's mainly played right wing but has also played CM, DM and even appeared as a CAM.

And who expects him to be world class, let alone right now? Let's be honest, his potential, whatever it is isn't world class level. In your case alone, you don't even know what position he should really be playing and then go on to say that you don't know if he can put all together. It's about a bit more effort or application. It's not breaking news that Maitland-Niles is a bit too laid back/nonchalant in his play. If he cut out most of that, maybe people would be speaking a bit more positively about him. Hell, maybe he would've made that RB spot his if he did. Who knows!

Last edited:

scytheavatar

Established Member
but you need to consider tha he is 22 and and 22 Partey was barely getting 13 starts a season for Atletico. So why the pressure for AMN to be world class already?

You have to remember Atletico was and still is stacked with options in midfield, while AMN is not willing to compete with an unimpressive Bellerin nor is he able to break through our poverty options in midfield. So far AMN has been an eh player who shows potential but nothing to justify fans thinking he is irreplaceable.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

I'm saying definitively that AMN is a central midfielder. It's his best position, it's where he's had his best games, and it's the best and most expansive use of his qualities. That's my position and I stand by it.

Also, in his most recent interview he gave regarding his position, he specifically says he wants to play "in midfield, either central or RW", so I think he also sees himself in those positions. The problem isn't that he isn't being played as a winger, the problem is that he's playing RB - a position that doesn't serve him nor does it serve the team as it is an inadequate use of his qualities - and I also stand by that position too.

He's pretty much a CM - up and down.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I don't really believe AMN's poor form is due to him not playing in his favoured position.

His poor form is due to lack of application. Besides I don't even think he's that talented. I keep hearing people bring up the utd game at old Trafford at Wenger's last season.

He was decent in that game not excellent. It seems that game has built some kind of myth around him.

Let's be honest do you think AMN will be a top winger?

Let's be honest he'll luck to reach Walcott level in the wing. He's too laid back. He lacks tactical awareness.

I guess playing him in the wing means he can't cost us at the the other end of the pitch.

What I don't like is the fact that with the exception of Nelson the other youngsters have all grabbed their chances when given the opportunity but with him you sense that he wants everything on a platter of gold.

I may be wrong but I think his through level is bottom table at best or Championship. Don't think he's good enough for a club like Arsenal.

The reason we're even talking about AMN us because our midfield is ****. If we had a decent midfield I don't think he'll even get a look in

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
English, young, experienced and lots of years left on his contract. Let's put him on the transfer list and get him gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom