• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles: 2019/2020 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Definitely. We completely messed up with Iwobi. Persistently played him as a wide player and sold him due to a lack of end product. Why we didn't re purpose him as a CM like Wjlnaldum is beyond me.
Not sure Iwobi has the lungs for a midfield role at the top level. His technical attributes are quite well suited to it, though.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
Decent managers will always give players public backing and belief, only Jose doesn't.

Fact is he hasn't gotten a look in our car crash of a midfield. There is nothing there, our best midfielder (Xhaka) is Everton level at best.

If he doesn't get a chance soon and takes it,he might as well leave.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I’d love to be proven wrong but not sure why this image of him being our midfield saviour still exists. His played under Wenger, Emery, Arteta and even a loan spell for Ipswich.

All of who, played him on the right. CM has been an issue for years. We’ve had FA, PL, EL and League cup games to give him a shot there and we haven’t done so. Does that not speak volumes?

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I’d love to be proven wrong but not sure why this image of him being our midfield saviour still exists. His played under Wenger, Emery, Arteta and even a loan spell for Ipswich.

All of who, played him on the right. CM has been an issue for years. We’ve had FA, PL, EL and League cup games to give him a shot there and we haven’t done so. Does that not speak volumes?

Wenger was giving him a shot there a few times and he did fairly well. The issue for us was that at the time we needed someone filling in at wing-back/full-back and Wenger thought he had the right attributes to do it.

As for Emery, his first choice midfield pairing for the most part was Torreira and Xhaka, while injury to Bellerin meant that AMN was by default first choice RWB/RB. While Arteta did play him there in a friendly recently.

I don't think anyone's said he's our midfield saviour but a lot of us just want him to be given a chance because we're sick of seeing the same old rubbish from Guendouzi, Ceballos and the likes.

lazyfreak

Definitely. We completely messed up with Iwobi. Persistently played him as a wide player and sold him due to a lack of end product. Why we didn't re purpose him as a CM like Wjlnaldum is beyond me.
What's beyond me is why people think that wingers who aren't good enough should be "repurposed" into a CM or some other position through the middle. Iwobi came through as a winger, so naturally he got used as a winger! It's as if it'll magically change everyone's fortunes if they played through the middle.

Didn't pan out with Chamberlain, look how that's going with Maitland-Niles and now Iwobi even though he's already gone and still plays out wide! There were and perhaps still are suggestions that even Pepe should play some role through the middle. Beyond me really!

Ashybashy86

Decent managers will always give players public backing and belief, only Jose doesn't.

Fact is he hasn't gotten a look in our car crash of a midfield. There is nothing there, our best midfielder (Xhaka) is Everton level at best.

If he doesn't get a chance soon and takes it,he might as well leave.
Even they have better midfielders. I don't think he's better than André Gomes.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
What's beyond me is why people think that wingers who aren't good enough should be "repurposed" into a CM or some other position through the middle. Iwobi came through as a winger, so naturally he got used as a winger! It's as if it'll magically change everyone's fortunes if they played through the middle.

Didn't pan out with Chamberlain, look how that's going with Maitland-Niles and now Iwobi even though he's already gone and still plays out wide! There were and perhaps still are suggestions that even Pepe should play some role through the middle. Beyond me really!

Why is it beyond you? Iwobi played cf in youth teams and actually came into the team in the fa cup as a 10. He got his opportunity on the left side. That didn't mean he was a left sided player. It's just where we needed him to play. Nelson got his start at wing back. Is that his position?

We look at players, their traits and then determine what is their best position. AMN has all the traits of a cm not a rb. Pepe could be a 10 in our system as the 10 basically is a cf who doesn't score or assist. So why not have Pepe closer to goal where he can curl balls into the top corner, because in the little time here he has demonstrated the ability to do it from open play and from a dead ball.

zilfy

with xhaka and Torreira injured and douzi likely suspended we should finally get a chance to see AMN at cm.

I really hope it works out well cos I'm sick to death of seeing these turtles in midfield try to play football

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
with xhaka and Torreira injured and douzi likely suspended we should finally get a chance to see AMN at cm.

I really hope it works out well cos I'm sick to death of seeing these turtles in midfield try to play football

He may not even play him. He went Saka, Willock, Ceballos in the friendly. If he does get the chance to play, this will be his only chance.

I hope he understands the magnitude of this. He didn't have the right attitude in training and refused to play right back which led to him being sidelined. Arteta must have had a chat with him over the break and so AMN has improved in training. However, Arteta was never going to risk playing him there ahead of all the others as he is so untested there.

With everyone sidelined for this one game as Guendouzi will be back after a 1 match ban, this is his only chance to cement his place in midfield. One top performance and it becomes impossible to drop him the next game. Xhaka is the only certain starter in this midfield and to be honest when you think of the one player who can cover all of Xhakas weaknesses its AMN.

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
Im all for this. Not sure he is the dm we need though more a box to box. Think we will have to go 433 with him, ceballos and with saka the furthest forward of the three.
Tackling stats and the fact that two out of the three have played defensive positions prove that this could work imo. Then go with a front three of auba at centre forward and martinelli, pepe on the flanks, thatll cause southampton some problems mark my words. That could well be our best side atm all things considered.

Last edited:

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
A decent performance in a game that meant very little. For some reason some performances get a lot more hype than they merit. Holding has been living of that supposedly brilliant performance against Chelsea in the final, and the same is true to a certain extent about Maitland Niles at OT. That being said I hope he`s given a chance in midfield, he can`t be any worse than Ceballos and we desperately need some athleticism there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom