• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Let's all laugh at Man Utd: Istanbald

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

Tbf me and a few others were talking about how LvG was putting a good template in place, they were absolutely dreadful in terms of recruitment but by the end of his time there he had brought in Martial, Rashford and at this stage Lingard was looking quite promising. Herrera ended up being a valuable asset for Mourinho, same with Fellaini who was in good form during United's 16 FA Cup run. Smalling was improving and was United's best defender while Mourinho was there. Rooney was pretty decent in a deeper role to an extent that Hodgson played him there for England (albeit England had a disastrous Euros). He converted Young and Valencia into fairly decent full-backs.

Their problem is similar to ours tho, they end up replacing him with a manager who had a completely different philosophy so turn down what LvG had built in his last few months. You could argue that Ole probably would've been better off taking over from someone like LvG who would've focused more on youth and would've had a structure in place as opposed to a Mourinho guy who's all about the present, a guy who'd buy a 34 year old for one year if it meant getting a title.

He was going to retire after the 3rd season regardless, he made that clear in his very first press-conference that this was his final hurrah but was sacked at the end of his second.

From a United stand-point he needed to be replaced regardless. We just backed the wrong man, City brought in Pep and United were almost pressured into bringing Mourinho in. It was poor from Woodward. Although, there were some benefits from Mourinho's spell too, he just wasn't right in the end.

Looking at Ole right now, he might not be perfect but I think the benefits outweigh the negatives with him for the time being, there's a lot of positives in terms off-the field recruitment, coaching, youth recruitment, club atmosphere and development but the biggest factor we need to see improve is on the pitch results. Even if Ole was to go at some point I think it's crucial that he stays involved with the club to some degree.

Juan Matas Beard

Trusted ⭐

Also, there's a massive element of luck to the praise you are giving.

Would LVG be praised as much if when we had that injury crisis and no striker depth, we didn't have a player like Rashford in our academy ready to step up? Or if Rashford simply wasn't ready at 18.

Thankfully he was, but it was a bit of Russian Roulette management at times, that's how we had Conference level players playing in big premier league games such as Blackett and McNair. It can be nice when you truly do have players that are ready but it's not how a top club should aspire to run. Take Mason Greenwood's development right now, I don't think I've seen such a well-managed player since Sir Alex's days, he gets the right amount of minutes and it's not throwing a young player in for the sake of it.

Blaziken

Also, there's a massive element of luck to the praise you are giving.

Would LVG be praised as much if when we had that injury crisis and no striker depth, we didn't have a player like Rashford in our academy ready to step up? Or if Rashford simply wasn't ready at 18.

Thankfully he was, but it was a bit of Russian Roulette management at times, that's how we had Conference level players playing in big premier league games such as Blackett and McNair. It can be nice when you truly do have players that are ready but it's not how a top club should aspire to run. Take Mason Greenwood's development right now, I don't think I've seen such a well-managed player since Sir Alex's days, he gets the right amount of minutes and it's not throwing a young player in for the sake of it.
but thats van gaals style. he has a smaller squad so academy players can come through. he did it at barca and bayern.

Juan Matas Beard

Trusted ⭐

but thats van gaals style. he has a smaller squad so academy players can come through. he did it at barca and bayern.

Which is fine when you have Ajax or Barcelona for academies, at that point our academy was a mess and so was our first team.

Can talk about Rashford but can't avoid the players that we fielded such as McNair, Blackett, Donald Love etc.

Juan Matas Beard

Trusted ⭐

@Juan Matas Beard

Where do you stand on the Gary Neville v Tevez' agent?

Kia's argument was very blurry. It's a shame they didn't go into detail about the third party ownership.

It's not clear to me why Kia is arguing there was no third party control over Tevez and Mascherano. What did the third party owners benefit by voiding their contracts if that's what Kia is going by?

He talks about Tevez being the ultimate professional but Neville didn't even have to bring up the incident with City where he refused to play to beat him in this debate.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Kia's argument was very blurry. It's a shame they didn't go into detail about the third party ownership.

It's not clear to me why Kia is arguing there was no third party control over Tevez and Mascherano. What did the third party owners benefit by voiding their contracts if that's what Kia is going by?

He talks about Tevez being the ultimate professional but Neville didn't even have to bring up the incident with City where he refused to play to beat him in this debate.

Was Tevez worse in 08-09 than his performances in 07-08?

Numbers wise, he got around the same goals (19 v 15)...and I don't really remember him playing poorly for United that season, even with everything going on behind the scenes...matches I watched he seemed to play pretty well.

Juan Matas Beard

Trusted ⭐

Was Tevez worse in 08-09 than his performances in 07-08?

Numbers wise, he got around the same goals (19 v 15)...and I don't really remember him playing poorly for United that season, even with everything going on behind the scenes...matches I watched he seemed to play pretty well.

I didn't see much difference in performances if I'm honest but I think it comes down to the training argument, Gary says he didn't train as hard as he used to and came in late, that's stuff I have no idea about obviously.

Think it's interesting what Rio had to say a few years back though.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/85/...eds-rio-ferdinand-carlos-tevez-does-not-train

"Carlos is an interesting character. When he was at United, he saved all his energy for the games - he didn't really go over the top at training,” Ferdinand told The Sun."

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Looking at Ole right now, he might not be perfect but I think the benefits outweigh the negatives with him for the time being, there's a lot of positives in terms off-the field recruitment, coaching, youth recruitment, club atmosphere and development but the biggest factor we need to see improve is on the pitch results. Even if Ole was to go at some point I think it's crucial that he stays involved with the club to some degree.

Must admit as a Norwegian, I hope you sack him. Can't open a newspaper here without some thin gruel Ole story. ""What Sir Alex said to OGS" Clickbait upon clickbait...

That being said, I think the strategy of going after younger players is a good one. You got the money to buy top young talent, and long term that will pay off. The question is: Can the fans wait for success?

Juan Matas Beard

Trusted ⭐

Must admit as a Norwegian, I hope you sack him. Can't open a newspaper here without some thin gruel Ole story. ""What Sir Alex said to OGS" Clickbait upon clickbait...

That being said, I think the strategy of going after younger players is a good one. You got the money to buy top young talent, and long term that will pay off. The question is: Can the fans wait for success?

That's a good point and I don't think we can. When we finally see Liverpool lift the title that's going to feel like a bullet to the chest for United fans. If we're not competing next season (and I understand that's a massive gap from where we are now) there's no way he can continue and that's very unfortunate for him but the expectations in my opinion should rightfully stay high.

Not sure how I can describe it to an Arsenal fan but, if you were to see Sp**s lift the title you would want change and want to compete with them ASAP.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

"""The PM fully understands the issue facing families across the UK during what is a difficult and unprecedented time"""

Oh do **** off! Who do they think they are fooling?

Latest posts

Top Bottom