• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gamechannel

Whatever you think of him, we must ask how and why his name got leaked? While the two other names have not?

Yep. If its not a hit job by Raul & Co, I'm not sure what is.

Lets face it, the ONLY reason he was even in the squad today was because we had those injuries and suspension in the man city game. Otherwise, he would have been left out of the squad today as well. It would have been another one of those BS excuses that he needs to show more in training. Özil on his worst day is still twice the footballer than dross like Guendouzi, Cebellos, Willock and Nelson.

The funniest part in all of this is that on Wednesday he doesnt even make the squad cuz he's unfit and not ready to contribute as per Arteta. And miraculously he is in the squad today - 2 ****ing days later! So basically, by Arteta's stupod logic, hes match fit and ready to contribute 2 days later? This is just a professional hit job at the moment. If this was the NFL, NBA or MLB type league with a professional players association that had real bargaining power, the club would have already been sued by the players association with the way they have gone about harassing Özil for making too much money- money that the ****ing club decided to pay him in the first place!!

Hexagon9

Yep. If its not a hit job by Raul & Co, I'm not sure what is.

Lets face it, the ONLY reason he was even in the squad today was because we had those injuries and suspension in the man city game. Otherwise, he would have been left out of the squad today as well. It would have been another one of those BS excuses that he needs to show more in training. Özil on his worst day is still twice the footballer than dross like Guendouzi, Cebellos, Willock and Nelson.

The funniest part in all of this is that on Wednesday he doesnt even make the squad cuz he's unfit and not ready to contribute as per Arteta. And miraculously he is in the squad today - 2 ****ing days later! So basically, by Arteta's stupod logic, hes match fit and ready to contribute 2 days later? This is just a professional hit job at the moment. If this was the NFL, NBA or MLB type league with a professional players association that had real bargaining power, the club would have already been sued by the players association with the way they have gone about harassing Özil for making too much money- money that the ****ing club decided to pay him in the first place!!

I’ve seen some poor posts on here but this is one of the poorest.

How has the club “gone about harassing” him purely for making too much money?
Give me specifics please together with your source(s).

Glad that you realise he is being paid too much though.

gamechannel

I’ve seen some poor posts on here but this is one of the poorest.

How has the club “gone about harassing” him purely for making too much money?
Give me specifics please together with your source(s).

Glad that you realise he is being paid too much though.

Allow me to cite examples:

- Releasing only his name to the media for refusing to the pay cut when there were 2 other players too. And don't even give me the excuse that the club didn't officially release his name. If the other 2 players' names weren't leaked, Özil's shouldn't have been either. And once it was released, the club did not make any effort to apologize for the leak or support his choice for exercising his option to refuse a voluntary paycut. In fact, a media campaign is initiated to create an anti-Özil agenda.

- According to Arteta, he was totally committed to training hard and was involved in all games 10 under Arteta before covid and Arteta kept praising him constantly. As soon as he refuses the paycut and football resumes after the break, all of a sudden he doesn't even make the squad against City for what's first described as tactical reason which is changed to him not being fit or training hard or ready to contribute a day later. Then all of a sudden, he's in the squad a day later. So much for not being fit or ready to contribute.

- In the preseason, Özil did very well in pre-season games. They featured him heavily in the preseason perhaps with the hopes of finding suitors for him but ultimately, failed. Özil decided against going on loan to Turkey. The burglary incident happened and that gave Emery the perfect excuse to drop him. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that he was being punished for refusing the loan move as the transfer deadline came and went. All of a sudden, he was not ready to contribute according to Emery whereas he had featured substantially in the preseason. Out of nowhere, he features against Watford after the team struggles to create for a few games. He does reasonably well even being involved in Arsenal's goal. But gets the hook in the second half and Arsenal go on to concede and lose the game. Then Özil is without any sensible reason banished from the first team which is first described due to poor training. Which ends up being untrue as Özil is reported to be putting extra work in training. So Emery comes out and says the club management has decided to not play him for no specific reason. After questions persists, a few days later Raul comes out and says Özil has been training hard and is in the clubs plans. Weeks go by and Arsenal continue to suffer creatively. Emery finally gives into the public pressure and sends Özil straight into the starting eleven in the carling cup vs Liverpool. Throughout this whole ordeal, the club's and the manager's narrative kept changing.

I'm not an Özil fanboy who puts him above the club. But I'm rational enough to see that although he's not worth 350k a week, he's still one of our best players albeit comparatively considering the trash we are featuring like Guendouzi, Cebellos, Willock, AMN and Nelson. There's no natural possession-favoring AM at the club barring Özil. So until a better replacement is available and brought in, he must feature whenever we need him. For example, after we conceded today.

And if the club has decided to move on - which they clearly have - then they must come out with an honest statement that he doesn't fearure in the club's long-term plans and the club will move forward with giving youngsters a chance to see what they have got. And that Özil is encouraged to look for an alternate club or that the club will work with him on a mutual termination of the contract. Instead, by playing these stupid political games and changing their stories often - all in an effort to force Özil into leaving
- the club creates a bad PR image among the fans, media and other players/agents who'd think twice before wanting to do business with the club.

All I want from this club is ****ing honesty about their plans for the team and certain players. Operate with class as we expect a club like Arsenal to operate.

On a related note, regarding Martinelli's sporadic appearances under Arteta, I wouldn't be shocked if Martinelli has some sort of minimum league games payment clause on his contract that the club is trying not to activate to the detriment of the team's performance on the pitch.

Last edited:

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Not the greatest Özil fan but there is no way Ceballos should be starting as our "creative" midfielder ahead of him.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Don't think Özil helps himself, but all this politics around his selection seems to be more of a board decision than the managers.

gamechannel

Özil wouldn't have done anything different today. We haven't beaten them since 2018 with him in the squad.

You don't know that. I don't know that. But with 15 mins left in the game and scores tied with their players tiring, you try putting him on and see if anything can come off it. Same goes for Martinelli.

We need maximum points, draws are not gonna help us. At this stage and given our standing before this match, a draw or a loss is effectively the same for us in our highly ambitious quest for champions league spot.

Last edited:

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
He's going to get back into the team by default. None of our midfielders have created jack in the 180 minutes that Özil has been left out.

Just start him and expect him to walk around. Our midfield area is so poverty.
Think that way of thinking is what brought us in this situation in the first place. The culture of "walking around" started with Özil and it never left us. Now, almost every senior player does and they get away with it.
No, Özil shouldn't just start because the rest are poor, and in fact, he should never be part of our squad ever again.
And what exactly do you expect from Özil anyway? Our season is finished with no European games next season with or without Özil.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Think that way of thinking is what brought us in this situation in the first place. The culture of "walking around" started with Özil and it never left us. Now, almost every senior player does and they get away with it.
No, Özil shouldn't just start because the rest are poor, and in fact, he should never be part of our squad ever again.
And what exactly do you expect from Özil anyway? Our season is finished with no European games next season with or without Özil.

If it were up to me, I'd let him leave on a free in the summer. The club made their decision on Özil by not backing Emery when he wanted to freeze him out. Board and players backed Özil. There is no point of return now.

vantoure

Allow me to cite examples:

- Releasing only his name to the media for refusing to the pay cut when there were 2 other players too. And don't even give me the excuse that the club didn't officially release his name. If the other 2 players' names weren't leaked, Özil's shouldn't have been either. And once it was released, the club did not make any effort to apologize for the leak or support his choice for exercising his option to refuse a voluntary paycut. In fact, a media campaign is initiated to create an anti-Özil agenda.

- According to Arteta, he was totally committed to training hard and was involved in all games 10 under Arteta before covid and Arteta kept praising him constantly. As soon as he refuses the paycut and football resumes after the break, all of a sudden he doesn't even make the squad against City for what's first described as tactical reason which is changed to him not being fit or training hard or ready to contribute a day later. Then all of a sudden, he's in the squad a day later. So much for not being fit or ready to contribute.

- In the preseason, Özil did very well in pre-season games. They featured him heavily in the preseason perhaps with the hopes of finding suitors for him but ultimately, failed. Özil decided against going on loan to Turkey. The burglary incident happened and that gave Emery the perfect excuse to drop him. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that he was being punished for refusing the loan move as the transfer deadline came and went. All of a sudden, he was not ready to contribute according to Emery whereas he had featured substantially in the preseason. Out of nowhere, he features against Watford after the team struggles to create for a few games. He does reasonably well even being involved in Arsenal's goal. But gets the hook in the second half and Arsenal go on to concede and lose the game. Then Özil is without any sensible reason banished from the first team which is first described due to poor training. Which ends up being untrue as Özil is reported to be putting extra work in training. So Emery comes out and says the club management has decided to not play him for no specific reason. After questions persists, a few days later Raul comes out and says Özil has been training hard and is in the clubs plans. Weeks go by and Arsenal continue to suffer creatively. Emery finally gives into the public pressure and sends Özil straight into the starting eleven in the carling cup vs Liverpool. Throughout this whole ordeal, the club's and the manager's narrative kept changing.

I'm not an Özil fanboy who puts him above the club. But I'm rational enough to see that although he's not worth 350k a week, he's still one of our best players albeit comparatively considering the trash we are featuring like Guendouzi, Cebellos, Willock, AMN and Nelson. There's no natural possession-favoring AM at the club barring Özil. So until a better replacement is available and brought in, he must feature whenever we need him. For example, after we conceded today.

And if the club has decided to move on - which they clearly have - then they must come out with an honest statement that he doesn't fearure in the club's long-term plans and the club will move forward with giving youngsters a chance to see what they have got. And that Özil is encouraged to look for an alternate club or that the club will work with him on a mutual termination of the contract. Instead, by playing these stupid political games and changing their stories often - all in an effort to force Özil into leaving
- the club creates a bad PR image among the fans, media and other players/agents who'd think twice before wanting to do business with the club.

All I want from this club is ****ing honesty about their plans for the team and certain players. Operate with class as we expect a club like Arsenal to operate.

On a related note, regarding Martinelli's sporadic appearances under Arteta, I wouldn't be shocked if Martinelli has some sort of minimum league games payment clause on his contract that the club is trying not to activate to the detriment of the team's performance on the pitch.
Brilliant post. Not so sure about the last paragraph though

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
You don't know that. I don't know that. But with 15 mins left in the game and scores tied with their players tiring, you try putting him on and see if anything can come off it. Same goes for Martinelli.

We need maximum points, draws are not gonna help us. At this stage and given our standing before this match, a draw or a loss is effectively the same for us in our highly ambitious quest for champions league spot.
Haven't beaten Brighton since 2018 WITH him in the team. Plus it was an away game. Im pretty confident, given the way he's been playing, that he wouldnt have made a difference.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Haven't beaten Brighton since 2018 WITH him in the team. Plus it was an away game. Im pretty confident, given the way he's been playing, that he wouldnt have made a difference.

Ozils been here since 2014. When did you see him play badly lately?

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
He’s finished man. Just keep him on the bench and play him for the cup games. At least he won’t get any appearance fee added onto his wages. If you want to move forward you can’t keep looking back. Yes, he’s the only creative midfielder we have but as a club you need to find different avenues. Arteta used Saka as his creative fulcrum yesterday, that’s the future now.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
When Özil had much better players around him like Sanchez and Cazorla he looked twice the player. Now, playing with dross, he looks like Lewis Hamilton dragging a caravan behind him, even if he is a bit older.

Also the club has managed him very badly, whatever his political affiliations and problems are. It's been clear since the early days of Emery that the club regretted giving him that contract and high weekly salary, and wanted to get rid. So knowing that, what's a player like Özil going to think . . '**** you then". I don't think he's the sharpest tool in the box and probably easily influenced by his agent and wife.

Arsenal is a mess right now.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Yes, he’s the only creative midfielder we have but as a club you need to find different avenues. Arteta used Saka as his creative fulcrum yesterday, that’s the future now.
That sums up how bad this club is. So many problems with senior players and injuries and we just keep using the same kid in various different positions.

This sticking plaster stuff is a joke and won't fix our parachute, we're in free fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom