• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

RacingPhoton

Established Member
For me, we have been showing the same deficiencies for a long time now. The zombie like side ways passing started toward the end of the Wenger era, and has been carried through like 3-4 managers now.

I have given up blaming managers for this. Emery was shocking this season but everyone blamed him for the capitulation last season while the players get a free ride? Why did we get slapped up 4-1 by Chelsea in the EL final... our players bottled it just as much as the manager.

The players clearly dont care enough, at this level if you arent giving everything then youre going to look really bad against sides who are. Look at Wolves and Sheffield, those teams are proper units. Our side is filled with individual players who are here for their bank accounts and nothing more. Thats why I commended what United did last summer, they brought in youngish talented british players to fix their core.

Meanwhile our club's dressing room is filled with players on their last contract, who dont really care anymore. We have a young team but the influential players in the dressing room are players like Luiz, Aubameyang, Özil, Lacazette. I dont think they give a **** at the end of the day.

We need to be bringing in hungry players who are younger, who care about their career and want to achieve things. We dont have enough 23-26 year olds, and I think that is the direction we should be going for.
In corporate terms, this is called 'rest and vest'. After some years of working hard and jumping companies, you get paid well enough in both cash and stocks that you just start coasting through. Do the bare minimum to make sure that you don't get fired while all the heavy lifting is done by others who are in pursuit of career development. Just get paid ****load and have fun.
As you said, the players who are supposed to be our leaders pumping energy into the squad have just settled down and are more focused on having fun rather than winning. We seriously need to rethink our hiring strategy.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
The obvious choice a few years ago was Allegri, he knew how to setup defensively or take a proactive possession approach. He had experience dealing with egos and had a decent amount of success, as well as a name that would draw players and a lot of knowledge of Serie A so we couldve picked up a few relatively unknown players. He also had success in transitioning a team with one style to another, following a manager who had a great reputation at the club and rotating out older players. But he seemed a bit full of himself for our board (he probably asked how they would support him) so we went with emery. If we had appointed him wed be a year and a half in to his style, likely a hell of a lot more solid.

Arteta might work out but Allegri was the smart and easy choice but we've always tried to 'outsmart' the market, im still to see it work.

9jagooner

The obvious choice a few years ago was Allegri, he knew how to setup defensively or take a proactive possession approach. He had experience dealing with egos and had a decent amount of success, as well as a name that would draw players and a lot of knowledge of Serie A so we couldve picked up a few relatively unknown players. He also had success in transitioning a team with one style to another, following a manager who had a great reputation at the club and rotating out older players. But he seemed a bit full of himself for our board (he probably asked how they would support him) so we went with emery. If we had appointed him wed be a year and a half in to his style, likely a hell of a lot more solid.

Arteta might work out but Allegri was the smart and easy choice but we've always tried to 'outsmart' the market, im still to see it work.
Allegri then a year later, Ancelotti.
I have nothing against Arteta asides his inexperience. He may work out eventually but at what expense? Plenty of trial and error?

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Allegri then a year later, Ancelotti.
I have nothing against Arteta asides his inexperience. He may work out eventually but at what expense? Plenty of trial and error?
Allegri would've made it work, he knows how to make a defence cohesive and develop a passing game in a team and using aging players. I think Arteta has to work now because I couldn't see anyone else taking the job never mind Allegri.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

I was an am cool with Arteta, especially if he uses Hale End more.

I'm highly amused at the complete heel turn in the space of 2 matches :lol:. Now he's not good enough already! We need to give this some time ffs.

Thank you

9jagooner

Allegri would've made it work, he knows how to make a defence cohesive and develop a passing game in a team and using aging players. I think Arteta has to work now because I couldn't see anyone else taking the job never mind Allegri.

As I've said before, I'm ok with sticking with Arteta as long as we're clear about Arsenal ambitions.

Two loses on the trot as an Arsenal manager will bring you heat from the fans. That's normal.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Arteta needs time and we can all agree with that. But you would think short term the players would be alert. Busting the gut more. It seems they are still going through the motions.

Arteta is a manager if your going to give him 4-5 years to basically get rid of all the older experienced players who arent doing it. Bringing in players from the under 23s and signing a few more young players. Arteta wont get the respect of Aubameyang who in manager/player terms isnt much age difference.

The likes of Luiz and co who have been there done that with some top senior managers and now they are listening to someone who hasnt managed before at the level.

Arteta may talk a good game but for all we know he is making numerous errors both with tactics and on the training pitch and players can spot this.

Doesnt matter how ****e a player you are. If you have worked under Mourinho/Anchelotti this type of manager and now your working under someone learning the ropes it can affect you.

Arsenal really needs to clear the decks with any players 28+ who arent part of the long term plans.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

You think? Every other club seems to get a managerial bounce, we’ve had 3 coaches since Wenger and had none. :lol:

Must be part of the curse.

We sort of got one from Emery, lest I remind everybody about the now embarrassing "We've got our Arsenal" scenes at Craven Cottage.

In fact it almost worked, had Emery not shagged the final run of games or Auba hadn't messed up his PK

P.S. I'm being petty re Auba, I don't actually blame him at all.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

We sort of got one from Emery, lest I remind everybody about the now embarrassing "We've got our Arsenal" scenes at Craven Cottage.

In fact it almost worked, had Emery not shagged the final run of games or Auba hadn't messed up his PK

P.S. I'm being petty re Auba, I don't actually blame him at all.
Nah we lost our first two games under him. Usually teams have an instant reaction.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Nah we lost our first two games under him. Usually teams have an instant reaction.

Well yeah we didn't get an instant bump I guess, but I mean we weren't surprised by those results and it wasn't like he came in mid-season which is what I commonly associate with new manager bounces (not saying the association is correct btw).

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Lockdown really got to some of you

tenor.gif

GDeep™

League is very weak
You know sometimes you feel “he’ll sort it out” with your manager, when things get tough, but here I’m not sure tbh. The job is so big I don’t know how he gets an effective team next season.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

You know sometimes you feel “he’ll sort it out” with your manager, when things get tough, but here I’m not sure tbh. The job is so big I don’t know how he gets an effective team next season.

Let's see what we can do over the transfer window.

Latest posts

Top Bottom