• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

The balls-deep mob. In way too deep to withdraw now. So they'll just pound relentlessly, limp d!cked, with their fingers in their ears and eyes closed. What a thought :facepalm:
Just finished reading an article about some GOP Trump apologists. Think the pro-Özil mob is a bit like that, In too deep in to reverse course. Might as well go down with the ship than to admit an error.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
Strawman. :lol: I said it affected all the players. So you think all that shouting and ranting on social media, planes flying overhead, boycotting of matches, banners and protests didn't affect the players. Ha ha. You're welcome to that rubbish opinion bro. :lol:

You’re taking in circles. So the players inability to perform was because the supporters were upset and voicing their frustrations with Arsène for failing to get his players to perform and because of that the players were then unable to perform? Which came first the chicken or the egg?

Making excuses for players habitually not turning up, especially ones who are so handsomely paid and experienced like Özil, does nothing but promote the culture of lack of accountability that have us in this mess in the first place. I mean everything stems from the results and performance on the pitch first and foremost, so if the players have a problem with the fans in the seats giving it to them then give supporters something to cheer about.

The Arsenal supporters pay the highest ticket prices in world football and got to watch years of underperformance and excuses and finally got fed up. Wenger built and embodied the culture so he needed to go. He’s gone. Now all the players who hid behind Arsène, letting him down over and over, need to go too if they haven’t improved, or even shown a unwillingness to adapt and change. If/when the manager and players change if things don’t improve with the club then the supporters will hopefully then direct their ire to those higher up in the club and they will go

Last edited:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
You’re taking in circles. So the players inability to perform was because the supporters were upset and voicing their frustrations with Arsène for failing to get his players to perform and because of that the players were then unable to perform? Which came first the chicken or the egg?

Making excuses for players habitually not turning up, especially ones who are so handsomely paid and experienced like Özil, does nothing but promote the culture of lack of accountability that have us in this mess in the first place. I mean everything stems from the results and performance on the pitch first and foremost, so if the players have a problem with the fans in the seats giving it to them then give supporters something to cheer about.

The Arsenal supporters pay the highest ticket prices in world football and got to watch years of underperformance and excuses and finally got fed up. Wenger built and embodied the culture so he needed to go. He’s gone. Now all the players who hid behind Arsène, letting him down over and over, need to go too if they haven’t improved, or even shown a unwillingness to adapt and change. If/when the manager and players change if things don’t improve with the club then the supporters will hopefully then direct their ire to those higher up in the club and they will go
He's vision is too obscured by a massive plaster of paris mould of Wenger's wang to notice the circles he travels in. It's a delight!

GDeep™

League is very weak
“Go down with the ship than admit your error”.

What ship? Because Arsenal is going down with or without Özil. We’re all going down and have been since Stan took over.

I keep saying I don’t even care about Özil, but the clubs handling of this situation, as well as other stuff, is dubious.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
What I like most is when his die-hards opt to just troll instead. Like when you're almost bankrupt in Monopoly so you start farting around :drool:

gamechannel

Özil fan boys making excuses for him.

Shock horror!

Learn to read. I know you want to come in with pre-defined anti-Özil agenda bit if you read my post, you'd know I was not defending Özil but pointing out the gulf in relative quality between Özil and the Willocks/Cebellos' of the world. Regardless of his wages, when you're chasing a game against a low table side like Brighton, a joe willock or Reiss Nelson sub instead of an Özil or Martinelli sub is the absolutely the wrong move every. damn. time.

And if the club doesn't want to use Özil, don't pick him just like Man City. The club either needs to filly commit to project youth, or use Özil. Cant have it both ways. By not picking a path forward, the club is responsible for this constant Özil drama.

gamechannel

No I think you’re the one missing the point.

The club is building for the future and in said future Özil will not be around (thankfully), so why not give others the chance/time to grow instead of hoping the stars align and Özil is up for it again. He’s had a million chances to play for the shirt. The season is lost, he won’t be here much longer, and we need to rebuild outside of keeping Özil ultras happy (who also won’t be around much longer) so what benefit does giving him the 100th chance to turn up and help drag the club over the line actually bring?

Also a players wages do matter when looking at their performance. When you’re paid 350k per week, your compensation is within the top 3 in the entire premier league and likely top 10 or so in all of world football, so that is the bracket the performances should be within aswell (top player/performer in the league and top 10 or so players in the world) otherwise you’re/the club isn’t getting their money’s worth. Only with Özil does how much one is paid not matter when looking at their performances :lol:

Read my previous post a couple of pages before where I detailed why this club has bungled the whole situation. I clearly said I'm fine with Özil not being in the long term plans of the club. The club should just come out and say it and put this entire Özil issue to bed. Don't pick him, keep him home. But that's not what the club has done for the past 2 seasons. They have constantly dicked around the entire issue with ever-changing statements about him. Heck, the other say Arteta said Özil is in his plans. If he is, then ****ing use him as a sub over Willock or Nelson in yesterday's game cuz you're chasing the game anyway. That's why it's hard for the supporters to get behind the managements dubious stance on Özil. They keep painting him as the villain in the hopes of turning the fans against him and forcing him to leave money on the table and find another club. Except he's totally fine getting his wages while the club keeps shooting themselves in the foot by fielding a side that lacks creativity in the midfield and makes fans question Özil's absence.

And his wages should absolutely not matter when judging the performance of the players that are playing in his place. Regardless of the wages, if the replacement player can't help us move the ball, retain the ball and create chances, then an overpaid Özil is still a better option until a better replacement is in the squad. You can judge Özil's performance to wage ratio when it comes to Özil in isolation- that's fair and he deserves criticism for not even coming close to playing up to his wage. But the argument is not if he's worth the money. The argument is whether there are better options in the current squad, the answer is no. Its like you hiring a contractor to redo your kitchen only for you to realize that you have overpaid him in full. But instead of moving forward with him and getting a kitchen done albeit not to the standard for which you had paid him, you decide to get the painter build you a kitchen instead. See how stupid that sounds?

And although I'm a fairly recent poster here, I have been reading the forums for a long time. And I'm sick and tired of this entire notion of "if he's posting in x player's favor he must be a fanboy" rhetoric. This forum becomes a ****ing pissing march between two extremes with no regard for opinions like mine that dont pick either extreme and instead, focus on arguments that are subjective in the context of current performances and specific decisions.

Last edited:

Make

Player:Ødegaard
You can hate it or love it but I think we need him because he does our best football when he plays on the pitch

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Where were the anti Özil crowd when Arteta picked him for all his games before Covid?
They were still present. I'm not even an Özil fanboy or hater, I'm just saying this time next year he won't be playing for us any more. So either we use him or we don't, it doesn't matter cos he's not in our future plans

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
300 pages of pure ****. Lock the thread. Grown men are throwing tantrums over this guy now. It's comical.

moloso

Don't rate him anymore - have detailed why in the past but can't do much harm to give him a game or two.

Not sure why people are surprised he didn't come on for the last 10/15 yesterday - hes not an impact player at all at this point. The time was half time or very early 2nd half.

Does anyone on here really believe he would have done more than Saka yesterday if he'd started?

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Learn to read. I know you want to come in with pre-defined anti-Özil agenda bit if you read my post, you'd know I was not defending Özil but pointing out the gulf in relative quality between Özil and the Willocks/Cebellos' of the world. Regardless of his wages, when you're chasing a game against a low table side like Brighton, a joe willock or Reiss Nelson sub instead of an Özil or Martinelli sub is the absolutely the wrong move every. damn. time.

And if the club doesn't want to use Özil, don't pick him just like Man City. The club either needs to filly commit to project youth, or use Özil. Cant have it both ways. By not picking a path forward, the club is responsible for this constant Özil drama.
Özil is not an impact sub. Either you start him or you don't.

It's why you rarely see him brought on from the bench by the manager.

Of course his fan girls wouldn't know this.

What would Özil have done if he'd come on?

Saka who apparently replaced Özil in the lineup was our most dangerous player on Saturday.

Don't get why you are crying about him being omitted. There's nothing he could have done. There were lots of things wrong with the team and Özil being dropped is not one of them.

IIRC, you even called Arteta "Raul's b#tch" for dropping Özil and yet you wonder why no one takes you seriously

Mraven

Why is there such strong opinions about Özil these days? Because of speculation he hasn’t been working hard enough during Covid?

If he plays, he get hate for his attitude. If he is dropped, he get hate for his attitude. Poor guy

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Yes I know all that, from about 2010 to 2016 Arsenal supporters took the view that they pay the highest ticket prices and if the team isn't challenging for the league we're going to stamp our feet and get angry. Top 4 wasn't good enough. And the anger grew and grew until between 2016-2018 there was enough momentum for real action on social media, at AGMs and more importantly at games . . and it finally took him out of the top 4 and got him sacked.

But here's your mistake, Arsène wasn't responsible for ticket prices or the under investment but 'his culture' as you put it was responsible for keeping us at the top of the EPL, in the Champions League and winning FACups.

Anyway you got what you wanted. Your still paying the highest ticket prices, you've still got the same owners. 3 coaches later, a stack of new players, completely new senior management . . hows it working out?

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Read my previous post a couple of pages before where I detailed why this club has bungled the whole situation. I clearly said I'm fine with Özil not being in the long term plans of the club. The club should just come out and say it and put this entire Özil issue to bed. Don't pick him, keep him home. But that's not what the club has done for the past 2 seasons. They have constantly dicked around the entire issue with ever-changing statements about him. Heck, the other say Arteta said Özil is in his plans. If he is, then ****ing use him as a sub over Willock or Nelson in yesterday's game cuz you're chasing the game anyway. That's why it's hard for the supporters to get behind the managements dubious stance on Özil. They keep painting him as the villain in the hopes of turning the fans against him and forcing him to leave money on the table and find another club. Except he's totally fine getting his wages while the club keeps shooting themselves in the foot by fielding a side that lacks creativity in the midfield and makes fans question Özil's absence.

And his wages should absolutely not matter when judging the performance of the players that are playing in his place. Regardless of the wages, if the replacement player can't help us move the ball, retain the ball and create chances, then an overpaid Özil is still a better option until a better replacement is in the squad. You can judge Özil's performance to wage ratio when it comes to Özil in isolation- that's fair and he deserves criticism for not even coming close to playing up to his wage. But the argument is not if he's worth the money. The argument is whether there are better options in the current squad, the answer is no. Its like you hiring a contractor to redo your kitchen only for you to realize that you have overpaid him in full. But instead of moving forward with him and getting a kitchen done albeit not to the standard for which you had paid him, you decide to get the painter build you a kitchen instead. See how stupid that sounds?

And although I'm a fairly recent poster here, I have been reading the forums for a long time. And I'm sick and tired of this entire notion of "if he's posting in x player's favor he must be a fanboy" rhetoric. This forum becomes a ****ing pissing march between two extremes with no regard for opinions like mine that dont pick either extreme and instead, focus on arguments that are subjective in the context of current performances and specific decisions.
The trouble is nuanced arguments like this don't work on here.

It's more at the level 'Özil's not trying hard enough and he earns all this money, lets get angry' or 'Özil's our best player, you dipshit's know nothing about football' :lol:

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Why is there such strong opinions about Özil these days? Because of speculation he hasn’t been working hard enough during Covid?

If he plays, he get hate for his attitude. If he is dropped, he get hate for his attitude. Poor guy

"these days" .... first time on this thread? :rofl:

OK maybe things have ramped up a tad as posters seem to be unleashing more Roy-Keane style lockdown fuelled rants.

Özil has been an extremely divisive topic for our fanbase for years blud.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom