• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Matteo Guendouzi (Out)

Keep or Sell?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Even though no player is unsellable for me, it’s strange that there’s talk of moving Guendouzi on while the likes of Willock and Maitland-Niles are still here.

I really like AMN, but to be honest, I would move him on based on the assumption that he is stupid. I view him as a central midfielder. He views himself as a right sided midfielder who can play central midfield.

In Artetas system, right back is basically central midfield. If he can't see that then he is literally stupid. We are inverting Bellerin who is struggling there, Soares will probably be inverted and AMN is easily better than both of them there. I wish someone like Lauren would call him up and have a word with him.

Willock I would never sell. I would easily sell Guendouzi over Willock. People talk about Willock like he is a 24 year old fully developed central midfielder who is just playing badly.

Willock is 20 ffs. He is a prime example of someone who develops. Through the years we were wondering why did Arsenal let Marcus Mcguane go. Why is Wenger giving minutes to this kid? He looks like he can't control his body, his first touch his heavy, he just plays it safe, what is he?

Look at how he has developed and what he has shown and what he has displayed. He is our highest goal scoring midfielder. He displays a massive skill set. He can drive through the best midfield in the world. Put that into perspective. He can carry the ball from one box to another vs Liverpool. He can score from outside the box, inside the box, first time finishes, he isn't afraid to shoot. He can spray the ball all over the pitch. His passing range is so underrated.

We are stagnating him by playing him as a 10. I would start him ahead of Ceballos.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I really like AMN, but to be honest, I would move him on based on the assumption that he is stupid. I view him as a central midfielder. He views himself as a right sided midfielder who can play central midfield.

In Artetas system, right back is basically central midfield. If he can't see that then he is literally stupid. We are inverting Bellerin who is struggling there, Soares will probably be inverted and AMN is easily better than both of them there. I wish someone like Lauren would call him up and have a word with him.

Willock I would never sell. I would easily sell Guendouzi over Willock. People talk about Willock like he is a 24 year old fully developed central midfielder who is just playing badly.

Willock is 20 ffs. He is a prime example of someone who develops. Through the years we were wondering why did Arsenal let Marcus Mcguane go. Why is Wenger giving minutes to this kid? He looks like he can't control his body, his first touch his heavy, he just plays it safe, what is he?

Look at how he has developed and what he has shown and what he has displayed. He is our highest goal scoring midfielder. He displays a massive skill set. He can drive through the best midfield in the world. Put that into perspective. He can carry the ball from one box to another vs Liverpool. He can score from outside the box, inside the box, first time finishes, he isn't afraid to shoot. He can spray the ball all over the pitch. His passing range is so underrated.

We are stagnating him by playing him as a 10. I would start him ahead of Ceballos.

You'd sell Guendouzi over Willock? Sorry but that's the height of insanity. I don't care if Guendouzi is in people's bad books at the moment, he's simply a much better footballer than Willock and our fans don't know a good thing when it smacks them in the face.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi

Guendouzi is 4 months older than Willock, it’s interesting that you see so much improvement and potential in Willock but not on Guendouzi.

Goonger

It's simple with me. If he really is being unprofessional and unfocused as has been claimed, get him sold. The first thing that needs to happen at this club is a culture change. If you cant see that hard work and focus is key to the most successful teams in the country with Man City & Liverpool, and you don't want to be a part of that, then anyone can go.

I'll back the manager over them all, even Auba with regards this. Bottom line is Guendouzi is nowhere near good enough to allow allowances for this.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
It's simple with me. If he really is being unprofessional and unfocused as has been claimed, get him sold. The first thing that needs to happen at this club is a culture change. If you cant see that hard work and focus is key to the most successful teams in the country with Man City & Liverpool, and you don't want to be a part of that, then anyone can go.

I'll back the manager over them all, even Auba with regards this. Bottom line is Guendouzi is nowhere near good enough to allow allowances for this.

But he's 21. If you got rid of every 21 year old footballer who behaved foolishly you'd hardly ever develop any young players.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Guendouzi is 4 months older than Willock, it’s interesting that you see so much improvement and potential in Willock but not on Guendouzi.
I thought Guendouzi looked bright but flawed when he first arrived. He stills looks flawed, but not so bright anymore. None of the apparant weaknesses have been addressed, they might even have worsened. It's also still unclear what he actually contributes (not goals/assists, not tackles/interceptions) aside from some crisp forward passing.

Willock hasn't had half the opportunities Guendouzi has had the past two seasons (1/3th of the minutes Guendouzi had in the league). When you get such opportunities, you're supposed to take them. We used to slate Wenger for having faith in players for too long.

Willock hasn't proven anything either, but I have seen some traits that I like in the 8 role (not 10 role, where I think he is not effective at all). He has a good progressive dribble, decent passing range, is stronger than Guendouzi (who falls over when hit by a gust of wind) and he doesn't have the sh*thouse attitude.

Not saying he would be a nailed on starter in my book, but he should get a chance in his best position given that Guendouzi hasn't taken the opportunity. I'd rather keep Willock as a back-up to Partey (in the B2B role) than Guendouzi.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Sell Guendouzi for £50m+ otherwise make him watch videos of his first few months at the club and see how he's lost his spark since then. Try to get that back and improve (massively) his positioning.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

But he's 21. If you got rid of every 21 year old footballer who behaved foolishly you'd hardly ever develop any young players.
you really should. Attitude is so important in football. I'd rather have a less talented fully committed 21 year old than a more talented but professionally questionable.

And going by what Arteta has said and done he is exactly the same. It's interesting reading Fabregas recently talk about the attitude of some of our players during his time here. That attitude plays out on the pitch.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
you really should. Attitude is so important in football. I'd rather have a less talented fully committed 21 year old than a more talented but professionally questionable.

And going by what Arteta has said and done he is exactly the same. It's interesting reading Fabregas recently talk about the attitude of some of our players during his time here. That attitude plays out on the pitch.

Listen like I don't like Guendouzi's attitude at the moment either, he's acting the maggot and if I ran into him in a bar I'd probably think he's a prick. But what is this modern obsession with footballers being squeaky clean?

Footballers are human beings, not machines. He's 21, he's clearly not fully matured emotionally as a person. He needs a wee bit of belief and support, young players need help from older players. Wenger wouldn't give up on him, Wenger would try to develop him both on the pitch and off it.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Could also just be spin from the club.

Two years on deal now... I would guess he can get a better club than us. Would he even want to renew?

Goonger

I get that he is young, but it might be that he is made a necessary scapegoat. I get Wenger would have worked on him and developed him, but that's one of the reasons the culture of the club has changed, because he allowed this to happen. He might have been doing what he always did, but the difference back in his successful days was he had leaders in the dressing room to help sort this stuff out. All that happens if you allow this stuff to manifest, is your better more driven players get annoyed at constantly being let down and look to go somewhere where there is an environment that challenges them to be the best they can be. We've seen that countless over the past 10 years, yet the support blame them for leaving.

Add in the fact he isnt that special, that we are low in funds and he might be 1 of our main sellable assets, tips the scales for me I'm afraid.

FinnGooner

Established Member
Why is it interesting? Have you seen how much game time Guendouzi gets in his favoured position compared to Willock?

This must have nothing to do with the quality of said players? Three different managers have come to the conclusion that Douzi gets game time over Willock. These mangers have seen these players in practice day in day out. But you must know better because of that one time you won the PL in football manager?

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
This must have nothing to do with the quality of said players? Three different managers have come to the conclusion that Douzi gets game time over Willock. These mangers have seen these players in practice day in day out. But you must know better because of that one time you won the PL in football manager?
Ah, the authority argument. We're all on a football forum because of our thoughts on the game. If we all blindly follow what the manager does (like they are all-knowing beings...) we wouldn't need a discussion board.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Do they want to sell him because they have no faith in him, or because they need the cash? I think the club wants Auba out too.

FinnGooner

Established Member
Ah, the authority argument. We're all on a football forum because of our thoughts on the game. If we all blindly follow what the manager does (like they are all-knowing beings...) we wouldn't need a discussion board.

I wasn't blocking discussion. @The_Playmaker is free to come forth with his justification on why all hope is lost for Douzi but we should all be very excited about Willock. I only stated that his game time argument is not enough to justify that Willock is a better player. The fact that people who know both players and deal with them everyday, time after time come to the same conclusion about their quality is a perfectly valid argument. Should I not use it because at a discussion board we should all just come up stuff from our arses without ever referring to opinions we see as "more informed".

But to make you happy, I can add my own 'intuitive' fully subjective opinion here as well: I have never seen Willock play legit good game for us outside of some frendlies or EL/Cup games against piss poor opponents. He has very big holes in his basic skill set: passing, first touch and creativity. He's by far the least convincing prospect we have currently. I would keep Douzi over him. And I'm no Douzi fanboy either.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Do they want to sell him because they have no faith in him, or because they need the cash? I think the club wants Auba out too.
The talk is that Arteta is tired of his ill-discipline on and off the pitch. It's strange because a lot of ex-pros say that Wenger liked edgy characters like Matteo seems to be.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
The talk is that Arteta is tired of his ill-discipline on and off the pitch. It's strange because a lot of ex-pros say that Wenger liked edgy characters like Matteo seems to be.

There is a difference being being edgy and being annoying though, like Degeneration-X in the late 1990s versus Degeneration-X in the late 2000s.

Plus Matteo doesn't perform enough on the pitch, for his ****ty attitude to be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom