• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles: 2019/2020 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Arteta really does seem to have the players on board pretty well it seems. I'm not a fan of AMN but wih the state of our RBs he probably seems more equipped to reach a certain level.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
The thing is, playing RB for Unai Emery and playing RB for Mikel Arteta are completely different things. Under Emery you're a regular RB, under Arteta you're expected to drop in and become a quasi-midfielder at times. AMN should be all over that, he's very well suited for it.
It's an interesting use of him for sure. He's got a diverse enough skillset to make that role work better than most. Maybe AMN is warming to the idea of being the club's utility man. I'm still not convinced by that particular idea but it's worked really well for James Milner!

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
The whole article is a very interesting read - AMN comes across extremely well. Also glad to see he is a Hale End Stan like me :lol:

Ainsley Maitland-Niles believes a new generation of English talent is ready to break through at Arsenal.

Maitland-Niles, 22, is determined to be part of the group along with the likes of Bukayo Saka, Reiss Nelson, Joe Willock, Eddie Nketiah and Emile Smith-Rowe.

It promises to be one of Arsenal’s most exciting crop of homegrown youngsters and Maitland-Niles believes Mikel Arteta is exactly the right coach to put his faith and trust in youth to take the club forward.

“The players have got the talent, they have got the physicality, they’ve got the brainpower to do it,” said Maitland-Niles.

“It’s just about whether the manager has the trust in the players to play them all at the same time and if he wants to take that big risk.

“I’m sure it will pay off."

"Maybe not straight away, maybe there will be a few mistakes, a few points cost here and there in the beginning but, in the long run, I think it will be very beneficial because these players have been playing together for years and they know each other inside out.

“That’s the beauty of it because we all know each other, we can get the best out of each other and we’re pushing each other every day as we have been for the last three or four years. Being around each other every day.

“Why would we stop now? We all want to be better players so we’re going to push each other even harder.

"To see five or six from the same age fly through in the same year is incredible to see.”

Saka, 18, has just signed a new deal, Nelson has got regular starts this season while Willock and Nketiah appear to have bright futures under Arteta.

Maitland-Niles clearly also has the manager’s trust as he is getting regular football and their relationship dates back to when Arteta was still playing and the Arsenal No.15 was just breaking through.

“I think it’s refreshing to see how he’s come on from being a player and seeing it from a player’s perspective and now he’s got the manager’s perspective,” said Maitland-Niles.

“He always fills me with confidence, tells me how good I am, I just need to believe it myself.

“I’m a harsh critic on myself. I can beat myself up while someone else is doing it to me verbally at the same time!

"But it’s about trying to forget the last action if it went wrong and focus on doing the next thing right whether it’s a simple pass or a difficult one.

“It’s about building the trust so every day I’m training better, making less mistakes and showing it that I’m really hungry and want it and he’ll finally put the trust in me and I’m going to play on the pitch."

Maitland-Niles has been schooled the Arsenal way since he was first spotted as a five-year-old, joined a year later, went to the Hale End academy and then broke into the first team under Arsène Wenger while winning the Under-20s World Cup with England in 2017.

He is quietly determined, considered and eloquent. Instantly likeable.

He started out as a striker, moved to the wing, was then converted to midfield and has filled in at both full back and wing back, even playing on the left despite being naturally right footed.

But there are a couple of things that he is happy to clear up because once you get tagged or labelled with something it is very difficult to shift.

It has been wrongly said that he does not want to play full back and also suggestions that his attitude or time keeping is an issue.

“I would play right-back every week if I had to. I am not really fussed. The main thing is being out there with the team and helping them win games.

"If the manager says to me ‘Ains you gotta go in goal this game I will put the gloves on and I am ready to rock n roll.’

“That’s where some people may have misjudged what I said before in a different interview.

"Obviously I do prefer playing central midfield but that is not to say that I don’t want to play right-back or that I’m not going to do the job there if the manager asks me to.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ainsley-maitland-niles-calls-mikel-22297794?2

Impact

Established Member
So happy to read this.

As we move to Arteta's preferred 4-3-3, I think Maitland-Niles can play a good role in many positions (RB, RCM and DM) and if we change systems or require it (RWB, LB, LWB) too.

He is exactly the profile of player we need to fill the squad. Technically and physically capable with the versatility to adapt to different roles and now the attitude too. Not to mention that fans are always more likely to get behind a homegrown Academy talent. You really love to see it.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
So happy to read this.

As we move to Arteta's preferred 4-3-3, I think Maitland-Niles can play a good role in many positions (RB, RCM and DM) and if we change systems or require it (RWB, LB, LWB) too.

He is exactly the profile of player we need to fill the squad. Technically and physically capable with the versatility to adapt to different roles and now the attitude too. Not to mention that fans are always more likely to get behind a homegrown Academy talent. You really love to see it.
Yeah, think it's very doubtful he leaves now - that said, with the RB slots basically filled with Bellerin and Cedric now both fit and starting to build momentum, spaces become scarce for that position. I can see gaps opening up for midfield again - I think Guendouzi is going and we might even lose Torreira aswell depending on what happens with Partey signing. Either way, with his versatility and growing resilience, there could be a big shift.

I do wonder what this means for Bellerin though. I think he was good vs Norwich but he still looks short on confidence and Cedric coming on and making an immediate impact will have hammered that home a little.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Want to see him have a game in midfield during the run in.

With Guendouzi exiled we only have Willock apart from Xhaka and Ceballos who’s fit and he’s better further up the pitch.

Impact

Established Member
Yeah, think it's very doubtful he leaves now - that said, with the RB slots basically filled with Bellerin and Cedric now both fit and starting to build momentum, spaces become scarce for that position. I can see gaps opening up for midfield again - I think Guendouzi is going and we might even lose Torreira aswell depending on what happens with Partey signing. Either way, with his versatility and growing resilience, there could be a big shift.

I do wonder what this means for Bellerin though. I think he was good vs Norwich but he still looks short on confidence and Cedric coming on and making an immediate impact will have hammered that home a little.

Agreed re RB competition increasing. I also think Guendouzi, Torreira and Elneny could all be moved on this summer. I think Maitland-Niles has the talent to oust both RBs if he really wants it and I also think less bodies in midfield will give him a chance to prove himself. Either way, it's win-win if he maintains his readiness to apply himself.

I think Bellerín is at a crossroads. He has had no real competition for years, has stagnated and is now struggling with injuries. Now he has players who are genuinely breathing down his neck. But I think he is the type that is more likely to rise to the challenge than be wilted by it. With rumours of a new head of physiotherapy coming in who has a reputation for helping overcome injury troubles, I think we could see a new and improved Hector next season following a full pre-season.

Manberg

Predator
I don't think AMN is good enough. I said it.

For a top 4 team, he's neither good enough as a right back or a midfielder. If it's up to me I'd sell Bellerin and AMN. Get a new right back in the summer.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

I don't think AMN is good enough. I said it.

For a top 4 team, he's neither good enough as a right back or a midfielder. If it's up to me I'd sell Bellerin and AMN. Get a new right back in the summer.

Higher priorities though. Although it is painful watching Bellerin I do wonder if it should be a top priority...

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I really hope Ainsley can kick on now, I think there is a quality player in there. He would really complement KT on the other flank nicely, he is a more modern fullback. With his education as a midfielder, is more comfortable playing under pressure, whereas KT is a throwback.

I've never massively bought into the competition thing. In my opinion, it just comes down to how good a player you are. TAA and Robertson have no competition for their respective positions and they're the best pair of fullbacks in Europe.

Bellerin is just a limited player, end of. He has always struggled with the ball at his feet. He also seems to have lost some of his pace and power, which was the key staple to his game.

The club have to cash in and go with AMN and Cedric next season. Hopefully Kia can kind a buyer.

Brett

Out peformed by Chambers, Sokratis, AMN and now Cedric this season.
This is true, but I fail to believe a player can decline so rapidly there must be an underlying cause surely! Prior lockdown he was injured I get it but even after the restart he has been very poor. Hope Arteta sorts it out.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Very encouraging quote from AMN.

Let's hope he keeps that energy even when he has the occasional bad game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom