• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2019/20

blrgooner

Established Member
As I'm saying, we are just masking the problem by overloading our backline with defenders. 3 CB's, 2 defensive minded FB's and even Xhaka often become a part of that backline. All that comes at the expense of our attacking play where Pepe, Auba and Laca will struggle a lot. Our midfield is constantly being overrun because other teams have more players.
As soon as we move to some normal tactics worthy of a top club, our defence would become a massive issue again. There's just not enough quality there and Arteta can't do much about it atm so I can understand his decision to play like we are playing, but saying we would be stable otherwise is wrong for me
Agree with this. I think we have two major problems
1) No speed in defence - Our defenders are mostly very slow and are very poor 1-1. This means that we have to play with our defenders very close to our goalkeeper. On top of that, with the current quality of defenders, we need to play with 3 narrow defenders. This means that our wingbacks are more of defenders than attackers.
2) No physical / Ball carrying capability in the midfield - Even when we get the ball to our midfielders, we don`t have a capability to move the ball forward either through dribbling skills or through physical dominance.

This combination means that we basically play with 7 players in our half for most of the game (Especially if we score and have a lead to protect). Our attackers are almost never supported consistently by the midfielders.
Arteta is doing a Jose Mourinho now I think(Except for Sp**s game where he got outdone by Jose). I think we are playing this system because of the players we have and hope Arteta doesnt find a long term solution in this system. We need to bring in atleast 2-3 first team starters to even get into a stage where we can compete with top 4.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Agree with this. I think we have two major problems
1) No speed in defence - Our defenders are mostly very slow and are very poor 1-1. This means that we have to play with our defenders very close to our goalkeeper. On top of that, with the current quality of defenders, we need to play with 3 narrow defenders. This means that our wingbacks are more of defenders than attackers.
2) No physical / Ball carrying capability in the midfield - Even when we get the ball to our midfielders, we don`t have a capability to move the ball forward either through dribbling skills or through physical dominance.

This combination means that we basically play with 7 players in our half for most of the game (Especially if we score and have a lead to protect). Our attackers are almost never supported consistently by the midfielders.
Arteta is doing a Jose Mourinho now I think(Except for Sp**s game where he got outdone by Jose). I think we are playing this system because of the players we have and hope Arteta doesnt find a long term solution in this system. We need to bring in atleast 2-3 first team starters to even get into a stage where we can compete with top 4.

Agreed with this. It also seems as if we want to use a deep lying forward ala Firmino. Finding one of those would be difficult.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I'd say you're wrong. Weve played a lot of games with a back 4 and genuinely been more solid. We lined up against City with a back 4 and looked competitive until red cards and injuries killed us. Since then weve switched to a back 3.

Our midfield didnt struggle against Leicester or Sp**s with a back 3 it was that our strikers couldnt finish the chances we created.

there are pros and cons to a 4 or a 3 or a 5 but each formation weve used weve looked better defensively for it.
It's not only about the numbers at the back, it's a completely different game approach. We are pragmatic and boring, unwatchable at times. Yes, we will create chances sometimes and sometimes we won't, we will play good games sometimes and sometimes we won't. That's what a definition of a mid table team is.
We can't open up simply because we don't have the defensive quality to do it, that's why we have fewer numbers going forward and more players defending, even our forwards spend more time defending than attacking.
That's not defensive stability, that's the sacrifice of our attacking game to reduce the number of goals we concede each game.
Defensively stable top teams can send their FB's up the pitch and can control the game with one DMC and 2 CB's. Those teams win the ball quickly and they are stable enough not to concede on every counter-attack like we did when we played that way. Arteta knows well enough that we don't have that defensive stability in our team so his approach is to fight it with numbers until he get's players who can defend without needing someone to cover their asses. That will rule out Mustafi, Luiz, Xhaka, players that can't be let to play without someone close to them to fix their mistakes

ChefMan21

I think a creative player is just as important, as Arteta said... we need some magic.

I'm pretty sure we'll sign a CB, CDM and creative player this summer.
Don't disagree with the need for a creative player. I'd just start with our defence to allow our attack to flourish without fear, to take those half chances, etc.

Hate to bring Wenger into it because its a bygone era of an Arsenal we used to know, but a huge part of our ability to play beautiful, attacking, football under Wenger was to have an outstanding defence. Adams, Dixon, Cole, Seaman, Vieira, Campbell, Toure, etc allowed our more creative players to be, in a many ways, irresponsible and risky. Because they knew our defence worked.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It's not only about the numbers at the back, it's a completely different game approach. We are pragmatic and boring, unwatchable at times. Yes, we will create chances sometimes and sometimes we won't, we will play good games sometimes and sometimes we won't. That's what a definition of a mid table team is.
We can't open up simply because we don't have the defensive quality to do it, that's why we have fewer numbers going forward and more players defending, even our forwards spend more time defending than attacking.
That's not defensive stability, that's the sacrifice of our attacking game to reduce the number of goals we concede each game.
Defensively stable top teams can send their FB's up the pitch and can control the game with one DMC and 2 CB's. Those teams win the ball quickly and they are stable enough not to concede on every counter-attack like we did when we played that way. Arteta knows well enough that we don't have that defensive stability in our team so his approach is to fight it with numbers until he get's players who can defend without needing someone to cover their asses. That will rule out Mustafi, Luiz, Xhaka, players that can't be let to play without someone close to them to fix their mistakes

I don't think anyone attacks with those numbers. Take the two best teams in the league.

Liverpool push both full backs up but their midfielders cover wide positions. so its still essentially 5 back with a high press. They only break into the box if the team is unable to string a pass together like us yesterday.

City invert their fullbacks and they don't overlap, so there is security if you try and play through them, although you can beat them with a long ball.

For me, we can sign just go all out for a top CB to partner Saliba and Partey. Luiz should be redeployed as DLP with Partey and Auror, Harvetz, Benrahma type of player. With the newfound midfield solidity, we could go back to four at the back. Doing this would address our core issue without spending too much.
Resign Auba and we are good to go.

Saka/Martinelli..........Auba.........Pepe

Harvetz/Auror/Benrahma.... Partey
Luiz

Tierney......CB....Saliba.......RB​
This should be sufficient to address our immediate frailties and get us back to playing fairly good football and hopefully get us back to top 4.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Anyone else worried about the lack of synergy when we have Auba and Pepe on the wings? Seems like both thrive as a goalscoring winger, but with both on the pitch we're a bit one dimensional on the wing. Would like a player with more playmaking ability on the wing.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Really don't think relying on Saliba to provide anything other than cover in his first season is realistic. He's still a kid in CB years (I am position tbh)

The PL is not Ligue 1.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I've been thinking about how Arteta may want to build and play.

So I believe he wants the following:

1) Ability to move from a back 3 to a 4 in game (fluidity).
2) Ability to pass from the back.
3) Ability to press.
4) Ability to cross the ball.
5) A striker who can press and hold the ball up.

I think we need to build in 3 stages over 3 years.

1) Top 4
2) Consolidate top 4 and exit champions league group
3) Challenge for the league and semi finals of champions league

Arteta has said so himself that we can't do all out work in 2 months. Clearing out 10 players an replacing them all isn't realistic. Thats building a title challenging team in one window, and it if you are not your are filling your squad with players you won't be able to shift.

Players who have expressed an interest in leaving in the past or recently, or have been linked with exits:

Guendouzi - 2 years - must sell
Xhaka - 3 years -
Lacazette - 2 years - must sell
Auba - 1 year - keep
AMN - 3 years - could sell
Bellerin - 3 years
Torreira 3 - years - could sell
Sokratis - 1 year must sell
Mustafi - 1 year - must sell
Kolasinac - 2 years - must sell
Chambers - 2 years - loan then sell

We cannot sell all of them and we need to keep them so that when they have 2 years we are in a stronger position to sell. For example in the champions league and with more money to spend.

That leaves you with the following in a back 3 set up that can shift to a back 4:

Loan - ESR/ Willock

Auba/Martinelli-----??????/Nketiah-------Pepe/Nelson

--------------------?????/Xhaka----????????/AMN

Saka/??????-----------------------------------------------Soares/Bellerin

------------Tierney/?????---Luiz/Mari---Saliba/Holding

--------------------------------Leno/Martinez

I would keep AMN over Torreira, but they are interchangeable as far as Arteta is concerned. I feel Willock would be in demand and ESR needs one more year to build his physicality.

So I am looking at 4 signings to implement what Arteta wants.

A left back who can also play lcb in a 3.
A two way goal scoring central midfielder.
A defensive ball winner who can break the press and create.
A centre forward who can hold the ball and link play, but also run in behind.

We could all list names, but I think it gets a bit pointless seeing as we don't know who could be swapped etc, but they have to be players who you would view as part of a championship fighting squad, but I think we are looking at signing 3 starters. I believe Arteta is good enough to get us into the top 4 with the right tools, but those 3 starters need to be quality as they are trans-formative. The lcb is a young squad player who can cover left back. Here is an example:

Auba/Martinelli------Edouard/Nketiah-----Pepe/Nelson

Saka/Tierney---Blas/Xhaka-----Partey/AMN---Bellerin/Soares

---------Tierney/Ndicka----Luiz/Mari-----Saliba/Holding

-----------------------------Leno/Martinez

A 3 4 3 that can shift to a 4 3 3 or a 4231.

-----Auba--------------Edouard-----------Pepe

---------------Saka------------------Partey

--------------------------Blas
Tierney---------------------------------------------Bellerin

-------------------Luiz------------Saliba-------

GunnerShy

Centre forward and two midfielders.

I like that we can play deep like we did last night. I think we defended fairly well.

The issue was we couldnt get it out our half. We need at least two quality midfielders. And they need to be able to dribble through the lines.

Partey is an obvious one, did it against Liverpool in the CL. Whether we can get.him who knows. The other needs creativity.

The centre forward would replace Laca.

Assess what we need for the following season through the upcoming season subject to how Saka, Nelson, Nketiah, Martinelli continue to develop and how our centrebacks go.

If we can shift Mustafi, Sokratis & Kola then maybe we could get another Centre-Back but only of they're going to be playing.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I've been thinking about how Arteta may want to build and play.

So I believe he wants the following:

1) Ability to move from a back 3 to a 4 in game (fluidity).
2) Ability to pass from the back.
3) Ability to press.
4) Ability to cross the ball.
5) A striker who can press and hold the ball up.

I think we need to build in 3 stages over 3 years.

1) Top 4
2) Consolidate top 4 and exit champions league group
3) Challenge for the league and semi finals of champions league

Arteta has said so himself that we can't do all out work in 2 months. Clearing out 10 players an replacing them all isn't realistic. Thats building a title challenging team in one window, and it if you are not your are filling your squad with players you won't be able to shift.

Players who have expressed an interest in leaving in the past or recently, or have been linked with exits:

Guendouzi - 2 years - must sell
Xhaka - 3 years -
Lacazette - 2 years - must sell
Auba - 1 year - keep
AMN - 3 years - could sell
Bellerin - 3 years
Torreira 3 - years - could sell
Sokratis - 1 year must sell
Mustafi - 1 year - must sell
Kolasinac - 2 years - must sell
Chambers - 2 years - loan then sell

We cannot sell all of them and we need to keep them so that when they have 2 years we are in a stronger position to sell. For example in the champions league and with more money to spend.

That leaves you with the following in a back 3 set up that can shift to a back 4:

Loan - ESR/ Willock

Auba/Martinelli-----??????/Nketiah-------Pepe/Nelson

--------------------?????/Xhaka----????????/AMN

Saka/??????-----------------------------------------------Soares/Bellerin

------------Tierney/?????---Luiz/Mari---Saliba/Holding

--------------------------------Leno/Martinez

I would keep AMN over Torreira, but they are interchangeable as far as Arteta is concerned. I feel Willock would be in demand and ESR needs one more year to build his physicality.

So I am looking at 4 signings to implement what Arteta wants.

A left back who can also play lcb in a 3.
A two way goal scoring central midfielder.
A defensive ball winner who can break the press and create.
A centre forward who can hold the ball and link play, but also run in behind.

We could all list names, but I think it gets a bit pointless seeing as we don't know who could be swapped etc, but they have to be players who you would view as part of a championship fighting squad, but I think we are looking at signing 3 starters. I believe Arteta is good enough to get us into the top 4 with the right tools, but those 3 starters need to be quality as they are trans-formative. The lcb is a young squad player who can cover left back. Here is an example:

Auba/Martinelli------Edouard/Nketiah-----Pepe/Nelson

Saka/Tierney---Blas/Xhaka-----Partey/AMN---Bellerin/Soares

---------Tierney/Ndicka----Luiz/Mari-----Saliba/Holding

-----------------------------Leno/Martinez

A 3 4 3 that can shift to a 4 3 3 or a 4231.

-----Auba--------------Edouard-----------Pepe

---------------Saka------------------Partey

--------------------------Blas
Tierney---------------------------------------------Bellerin

-------------------Luiz------------Saliba-------
Not sure if that would be the most enjoyable team to watch but it looks like you prefer pace, power and agility over Wengerball.
That type of team would definitely be a top 4 material. Passing from the back would still be an issue from what I see there as both Tierney and Bellerin are not great at it

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Looks like Lacazette will stay and if he keeps the performances up I'm not against it either. He was our player of the season last year for a reason, went through a terrible spell when we were terrible but he fits what Arteta wants like a glove.

I mean is there any real point in ditching him for say £25M? Not so sure.

Impact

Established Member
Leno (Martínez)

Bellerín (Cédric) - Luiz (Saliba/Chambers) - LCB (Marí/Holding) - Tierney (LB)

DM (Xhaka)

Ceballos (Willock/Maitland-Niles) - AM (Saka/Smith-Rowe)

Pépé (Nelson) - Lacazette (ST/Nketiah) - Aubameyang (Martinelli)

Following on from Arteta's comments recently and my hopes re sales, I think this might be what we are considering going into the summer window:
  • Three players for the spine of the team ready to make an immediate impact on the starting eleven.
  • A young striker ready to push and take over from Lacazette over the course of the season.
  • An experienced deputy for Tierney, similar to Cédric at right-back.
  • Ceballos returning on loan with an option/obligation to purchase.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

La Colnia - 2022/23 treble winners

1816037_Arsenal.jpg

d91.gif

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Looks like Lacazette will stay and if he keeps the performances up I'm not against it either. He was our player of the season last year for a reason, went through a terrible spell when we were terrible but he fits what Arteta wants like a glove.

I mean is there any real point in ditching him for say £25M? Not so sure.

I'm fine with Lacazette, he's been underperforming this season so it follows that his form will improve. But long-term can you really keep both Auba and Laca? Do you sign Laca to a new contract? At some point down the line, in 2 or 3 years, you're gonna want to have a new young long-term striker and you won't be able to raise funds from Auba or Laca to fund it.

So the argument is that now is the time to raise funds from them while they still have some value, even if short-term it's better to keep them.

Top Bottom