• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

3 best teams ever, Arsenal/International/other

EinmalImmerEwig

Bent on his knees by asking to get banned !
My best Arsenal team was the 89-91 side. Perfect defence, creative and strong midfield, and goalscorers. If it hadn't been for the curse of alcohol that team would have won everything there was to play for, and I mean everything.
That team, with the addition of Gascoigne and Lineker would have won the World Cup in Italy '90

Seaman, Lukic, Dixon, Winterburn, Adams, Keown, Bould, Thomas, Rocastle, Davis, Merson, Gascoigne, Smith, Lineker, Marwood
That squad would have beaten the World.

Which brings me to my favourite International team.
Brazil 1970
The quality of that front 5 of Pele, Jairzinho, Gerson, Tostao and Rivelino will never be seen again.
Carlos Alberto and Brito in defence, ably abetted by Piazza and Everaldo, and Clodoaldo in Midfield. If only they'd had a decent goalkeeper.
Just like watching Arsenal 89 - 91

My 'best' other team is the Lisbon Lions, Celtic '67
All but one of the 15 players in the squad born within 10 miles of Celtic Park, Glasgow, only Bobby Lennox born 30 miles away on the Coast.
A proper team representing their City, something we will also very sadly never see again.
That's what football for me should be about.

Your village/town/city competing against other villages/towns/cities to see who is best, with people from your village/town/city

Before anyone mentions that I'm from Switzerland and so why am I supporting The Arsenal...

My Dad was from Kentish Town, my Mum from Zürich. I now live in Zürich.
I lived for 20 years in England. Junior Gunner, then Season Ticket, Arsenal Bond, Arsenal share. All of those of course gone now. As is The Arsenal that I grew up with.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Before anyone mentions that I'm from Switzerland and so why am I supporting The Arsenal...

My Dad was from Kentish Town, my Mum from Zürich. I now live in Zürich.
I lived for 20 years in England. Junior Gunner, then Season Ticket, Arsenal Bond, Arsenal share. All of those of course gone now. As is The Arsenal that I grew up with.

You're not the only swiss Arsenal supporter here (though I did not grow up supporting Arsenal I admit)

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Dare I ask which Swiss team you support?

Basel

:drool:

It's my hometown though before the commentary comes. :rofl:

I began supporting Arsenal around 12-13 years ago after getting interested in the Prem. Initially I didn't want to support a team higher up the table, but none seemed to grab me and then I remembered that Djouru (of all people :lol:) played in England, looked up Arsenal's history and fell for them. Over the years that has grown into full on support/love for the club.

EinmalImmerEwig

Basel

:drool:

It's my hometown though before the commentary comes. :rofl:
The one thing I really love about Basel is the train station.

Because there's a direct train to Züri ;-)

But seriously, if you're from there then I have no problem ( apart from on Matchdays ) with you lot. I envy the way the whole city supports Basel, the flags and colours in so many shops, the people wearing shirts on a non-match day, the FCB flags everywhere, the whole feeling about the Club.
Basel is a proper football city, and I'm extremely jealous.
I've had some bad moments there, very, very bad, but I've had some awesome ones, some of the best of my footballing life, but I won't mention them again.

Glad you found The Arsenal.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Best international team I’ve seen is Brazil 2002 simply because they had quality flair players but played in such a pragmatic, counter heavy way they didn’t really come close to dropping any points except maybe the England game.

Spain in 2008 to 2012 were juggernauts but in 2010 I felt they rode their luck a bit and in the Euros as well they looked beatable before clicking later in the tournaments.

Best club side though is almost definitely Man Utd 2007/08. That team had such balance and quality in every position and one of the most lethal front threes I’ve ever seen. Squad depth was ridiculous as well.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
I have such fond memories of Arsenal 2007/08, our football was magnificent, even though we won **** all. The likes of Cesc, RvP, Hleb dancing on the pitch, I'll never forget that.

Regarding NT, for me it has to be Holland 98-2000. Van der Sar, Stam, De Boer, Davids, Seedorf, Overmars, Bergkamp, Kluivert.. We should have gotten a penalty in extra time vs Brazil in the semi finals of that 98 World Cup and missed 2 penalties in the game vs Italy in 2000 Euros. Footballing wise we were so good.

Best team I've seen has to be Barcelone when Pep took over. Unplayable.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Invincibles, France 98-2000, Barcelona 2009.

i-see-youre-a-man-of-culture-as-well-feat-1.jpg

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Some great suggestions. I've a lot of love for the Milan team 87-94 and that sadly immediately dismantled Ajax team that won teh champions League full of kids.

I slightly miss the days when Serie A had 5 or 6 truly fantastic teams, because despite the incredible Barca teams with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta et all, Spanish football lacks something that big games in other countries have. (Though I did enjoy el classico at the period when Real and Barca still really really hated each other!).

Arsenal? The title winning teams are like children, I love them all but in different ways. The first born (89) is the biggest impact, and the youngest (04) is probably the smartest and most widely loved, but in many ways the middle 3 are the most well rounded.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Got to mention the Galatico era of Real Madrid, team was amazing when I was a kid.

Though many say it wasn’t that successful, 1 Champions League and 2 league titles in 3 years is nothing to turn your nose away from...started to fall apart from 2004 on though, but the football was spectacular.

EinmalImmerEwig

Got to mention the Galatico era of Real Madrid, team was amazing when I was a kid.

Though many say it wasn’t that successful, 1 Champions League and 2 league titles in 3 years is nothing to turn your nose away from...started to fall apart from 2004 on though, but the football was spectacular.
The problem with that team was for the money spent the returns were not satisfactory...far from it.
I follow Barça in Spain because of family ties, so watch Spanish Football a bit, and for me the best Real Madrid team was Mourinho's 2011-12 team. Didn't spend too much money assembling it, most goals scored, most points, a fantastic defence, and Ronaldo and some bug-eyed git called Özil absolutely stellar.

Oh, if only we could have bought both of them...one even.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
AC Milan of the mid 2000s. The team with Dida, Cafu, Nesta, Maldini, Pirlo, Seedorf, Kaka, Crespo and I’m sure there’s more I’m forgetting. Such an amazing team and they were unbeatable on Pro Evo 06.

Invincibles for Arsenal and Spain in the late 2000s for an international team.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I've always thought our 2001-02 side was better than the invincibles.
Brazil 98 even though they didn't win it Ronaldo seemed unstoppable at that time. Shame about the injuries. 06 Italy side were class as well.
Either the galacticos or ronaldinho's Barca were so enjoyable to watch.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
AC Milan of the mid 2000s. The team with Dida, Cafu, Nesta, Maldini, Pirlo, Seedorf, Kaka, Crespo and I’m sure there’s more I’m forgetting. Such an amazing team and they were unbeatable on Pro Evo 06.

Invincibles for Arsenal and Spain in the late 2000s for an international team.

Pro Evo 6 for me was Real Madrid or Inter, never really bothered with AC Milan.

Madrid was definitely my goto though, Carlos, Zidane, Beckham, Makelele, Robinho, Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo, Raul; was so stacked.

Inter had Adriano who was just insanely good in game, possibly the best in game footballer to exist :lol:

Top Bottom