• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Somebody made a good point. Mourinho has taken Sp**s from 14th to 6th yet people act as tho he's taken them backwards. Arteta has taken us from 8th to 10th yet we're acting as it he's helped us progress. Granted we've got to an Fa Cup final and we beat City in brilliant fashion, but other than that there's not a lot you can really point to that suggests he deserves the praise he's getting. It's not as if he's even got us playing good football either.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Somebody made a good point. Mourinho has taken Sp**s from 14th to 6th yet people act as tho he's taken them backwards. Arteta has taken us from 8th to 10th yet we're acting as it he's helped us progress. Granted we've got to an Fa Cup final and we beat City in brilliant fashion, but other than that there's not a lot you can really point to that suggests he deserves the praise he's getting. It's not as if he's even got us playing good football either.
Mourinho should be in the Arsenal dugout, but if I speak further I’ll be in big, big trouble!

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
Maureen has more to work with, half decent defenders for one. He's also got a semi functional midfield and two world class forwards.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Maureen has more to work with, half decent defenders for one. He's also got a semi functional midfield and two world class forwards.

Luiz is better than Sanchez and Dier who seem to be Mourinhos first choice pairing when available. As for world class forwards, we've got a forward line worth 180 million. And their starting midfield pairing is Winks-Sissoko is that really a better pairing than Ceballos-Xhaka?

Look in general I think he's got a bit more to work with. However we only finished a point behind Sp**s last season. And we've spent an awful lot of money in the summer too yet you're saying we've ended up far worse?

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Luiz is better than Sanchez and Dier who seem to be Mourinhos first choice pairing when available. As for world class forwards, we've got a forward line worth 180 million. And their starting midfield pairing is Winks-Sissoko is that really a better pairing than Ceballos-Xhaka?

Look in general I think he's got a bit more to work with. However we only finished a point behind Sp**s last season. And we've spent an awful lot of money in the summer too yet you're saying we've ended up far worse?

Yeah I think it's a good point in that Jose has gotten Sp**s higher up the table than Arteta.

I'd maybe put it down to experience and the fact that the Sp**s squad are much more suited playing the way Jose wants than the Arsenal squad is playing the way Arteta wants.

Either way it's a concern, but maybe not as much as we'd think.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity

Their defenders are generally more consistent. We don't have an Alderweireld or Vertonghen. Sanchez might have a lower ceiling then Luiz but he won't **** up anywhere near as often or badly. As i said, their midfield, whilst unspectacular, functions and is definitely up Maureen's ally. As for our attack, two of them are hopelessly inconsistent. Pepe might come good next year but Laca has done the same under three different managers. At this point, you definitely take Son and Kane.

I don't think the issue is necessarily what we did last summer. I would have avoided Luiz but Pepe will hopefully come good. Ceballos is looking better and Tierney is already superb. Bigger issue is the muppets that were here before last summer.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Their defenders are generally more consistent. We don't have an Alderweireld or Vertonghen. Sanchez might have a lower ceiling then Luiz but he won't **** up anywhere near as often or badly. As i said, their midfield, whilst unspectacular, functions and is definitely up Maureen's ally. As for our attack, two of them are hopelessly inconsistent. Pepe might come good next year but Laca has done the same under three different managers. At this point, you definitely take Son and Kane.
*alley.

Ally: a state formally cooperating with another for a military or other purpose.

Alley: a narrow passageway between or behind buildings.

The situations are not even comparable. Mourinho has had longer time with his team before covid. He has had fewer red cards. He doesn't have to deal with Laca constantly letting him down. The list goes on. Its only 5 points. 2 points after the final game. And we have a final that we will win. Will you suck off Mourinho and hate Arteta then? I doubt it. You will come back crying like after you spent year of hating Wenger and licking off Emery but then you tried to pretend you never liked Emery and you didn't hate Wenger.

Arteta will also be better in the long term. He is a new manager and every game is a learning curve for him. Lets back him, he has shown talent so far! You don't win Liverpool and City in space of 4 days unless there is something about you.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The situations are not even comparable. Mourinho has had longer time with his team before covid. He has had fewer red cards. He doesn't have to deal with Laca constantly letting him down. The list goes on. Its only 5 points. 2 points after the final game. And we have a final that we will win. Will you suck off Mourinho and hate Arteta then? I doubt it. You will come back crying like after you spent year of hating Wenger and licking off Emery but then you tried to pretend you never liked Emery and you didn't hate Wenger.

Arteta will also be better in the long term. He is a new manager and every game is a learning curve for him. Lets back him, he has shown talent so far! You don't win Liverpool and City in space of 4 days unless there is something about you.
one more point is that Maureen got a mentally stable team.

AFC after Emery was mentally destroyed.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
I'm a romantic at heart and would love to see Arteta do well for years here, but the front line he started with yesterday was just silly.

Why would he even think it would be a viable option to play three strikers together. Imagine if all three sustained some sort of freak injury yesterday.

Both Nketiah and Auba aren't good on the ball or at linking up, so they're just redundant playing together. Don't get why Pepe always gets dropped after building up momentum.

Auba should have been rested. Just play Saka, Laca and Pepe, not that complicated.

Start Willock a little deeper with Ceballos, instead of Torreira who is just returning from a longterm injury.

The only real value Willock has at this junction of his career is the ability to run through the middle with some power and pace. Super-sub role not really working for him.

Consistently starting Kola is just setting the team up for failure as he has no positive attributes to offer, in attack or defense.

These guys need to be coached on defending set pieces and also on completing basic 5 yard passes without pressure. Too many players are so bad at the basics.

That's why it doesn't make any sense to not even have Özil as a bench option. At least he is excellent at the basic things expected of a footballer.

Even if he is no longer in his prime, but the weird politics are affecting the decisions made on the pitch.

LG10

Sp**s have a much better squad than us, should’ve finished top 4 easily. Everyone bar Liverpool is **** so reaching 6th really ain’t all that.

morpho

Established Member
Although Im not standing behind the "statement" below my name (mods feel free to remove), its kinda hard to judge Arteta after this crazy season. What he inherit, both fysical (squad) and mental (third manager trying to herd the sheep within one season), combined with his first senior year as a manager, should give him the benefit of the doubt imo. Let him at least have a complete season, hopefully with some signings of his own.

Pre Wenger was always going to be though. The hierarchy in Arsenal made it even harder...

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I'll judge everything next season tbh. Arteta's first full season.

And depending on our spend I'll then judge the position I think Arteta should be getting us.

Watching Liverpool lift the trophy makes me want it so bad. How have we come to accept this. Its like the norm now, no league title in 15 years and counting.

The summer needs to be the start, buy the right players, not the most expensive.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
He is doing a lot of the things Emery was getting criticised for so it's only fair we hold Arteta responsible too. The system yesterday was an absolute joke. He literally just shoved in 3 strikers hoping they'd magically get chances in absence of actual creative players.

Also the fact that he's gone 3 ATB like Emery did and isn't implementing his own system yet is a bit annoying. I mean Hassenhuttl went into Southampton and insisted on playing his system. Does Arteta even know what he wants to do or is he still working that out?

If he wins us the FA Cup from this horrible season, he can play any system he wants tbf.

Hassenhuttl has a lot lower expectations to contend with and has a squad far less reliant on inexperienced kids. And anyone who's paid attention knows Hassenhuttl is an excellent coach.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Luiz is better than Sanchez and Dier who seem to be Mourinhos first choice pairing when available.

That's simply not true. Dier only plays when other's cant, and Sanchez plays when they are up against pace.

Anyway, Mourinho's always been a short term expert, maybe next season will be pretty good for him. But wait for those returns to diminish.

Especially if we win the FA Cup and punt them out of Europe.

EinmalImmerEwig

Bent on his knees by asking to get banned !
Arteta has a worse record after his first 19 league games than the club's last four bosses

TwwiG8g.png

EinmalImmerEwig

Bent on his knees by asking to get banned !
Also, Watford 3 Liverpool 0, 29th February, 2020

Just to put our fantastic smashing of Liverpool into context

Man City have also lost 9 times in the League this season, also to put our, tbf, pretty decent performance into context

Home to Wolves, ManU

Away to Norwich, Liverpool, Wolves, Tottenham, ManU, Chelsea, Southampton

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Think we need a talismanic signing again.

Copying this from another thread. This is what Özil/Alexis/Santi did for us...almost a trophy every season:

2013/14: 34 games, AFC finish 4th (FA Cup)
2014/15: 21 games, AFC finish 3rd (FA Cup, CS)
2015/16: 35 games, AFC finish 2nd (CS)
2016/17: 32 games, AFC finish 5th (FA Cup)
2017/18: 24 games, AFC finish 5th (LC Final, CS)
2018/19: 08 games, (Emery) AFC finish 5th (EU Final)
2019/20: 18 games, (Em/Art) AFC finish 10th (FA Cup Final)

If we do not spend money in the summer, we will stay the same. Doesn't matter how much performance Arteta can get out of these guys.

Top Bottom