• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emile Smith Rowe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
One of the midfield 3. He's very much capable of playing as an #8 in that system (advanced or otherwise). I'd argue it's where he will end up long-term.
I'll bet on him ending up behind the striker. The way he likes to run with the ball won't go well in the Premier League if he plays as an #8, it's too risky and it painfully reminds me of all the injuries that happened to Wilshere.
We also need to consider availability within the first team. There is an open position for Özil's replacement within next year, just enough time for him to get one more loan or some sub appearances/cup games at Arsenal.
Looking forward, I would expect Xhaka to be replaced internally with Azeez or Willock who would both play as an #8, depending on how their development ends up, and ESR's ability to score, create and run with the ball will probably be more useful if he can play with more freedom.
I do understand why you want him there, but I'm not so sure about his "engine" and would rather see him being fresh to make those bursts with the ball than doing all the grunt work that is required from an #8.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Where will he be competing. Artetas formation is 4 3 3. Where does he fit in.
He’ll be competing with other AMs at 8/10/wing depending on the system. Ceballos/Partey/Xhaka will be competing for the deeper positions in midfield.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
We need Europa League football. Let's not forget that this is where Martinelli and Saka made their names.

I'm a huge ESR fan. He's just such a natural footballer. Ideally, I'd loan him to a Premier League club such as Palace, Watford (if they stay up) or Fulham or Brentford if they gain promotion.

I do think he's good enough to contribute here next season, but I'd like to see Saka and AMN get a few chances next year in cm lead by Partey and Xhaka/Ceballos.

ESR, Saka, AMN, Nelson, Ceballos/Torreria is such a talented bunch of young central options.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
He’ll be competing with other AMs at 8/10/wing depending on the system. Ceballos/Partey/Xhaka will be competing for the deeper positions in midfield.

I dont think he will get many opportunities here next season. He isnt a winger so he wont play there. So hes competing for an AM spot.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
I dont think he will get many opportunities here next season. He isnt a winger so he wont play there. So hes competing for an AM spot.
He’ll start off on the wing and then come inside while in possession as the fullback overlaps, just like Foden does for City. I’m pretty sure that he’s played as a winger before also

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Lol he’s not getting that much minutes, Willock and Nelson are a bit more advanced in their development than him and they are bit part players.

I can’t see us changing our whole formation and pinning our hopes on him to pull strings in a number 10 position he’s just not that kind of talent. There’s no reason to start him out wide as we have Auba, Saka, Pepe & Nelson.

If Özil was a thing then yeah he would be a shoe in for understudy but as of today we don’t. Could change depending on summer transfers though ofcourse. Loan would be best for him he would be just making cameos otherwise, unless he dominates games he gets the odd minutes in and let’s be honest - he won’t. Yet.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
That's weird considering that our only AM is Özil and he barely plays. If Arteta decides to play that way, ESR could be a regular starter next season.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Lol he’s not getting that much minutes, Willock and Nelson are a bit more advanced in their development than him and they are bit part players.

I can’t see us changing our whole formation and pinning our hopes on him to pull strings in a number 10 position he’s just not that kind of talent. There’s no reason to start him out wide as we have Auba, Saka, Pepe & Nelson.

If Özil was a thing then yeah he would be a shoe in for understudy but as of today we don’t. Could change depending on summer transfers though ofcourse. Loan would be best for him he would be just making cameos otherwise, unless he dominates games he gets the odd minutes in and let’s be honest - he won’t. Yet.
His game is much more matured than any of the youngsters with the exception of Saka. You don't see silly mistakes in his game like you would see it with Willock and he is not afraid to play like Nelson is.
Eventually, we will change formation once we get a bit more quality, and he can provide some depth for a couple of positions already.
I honestly can't see any logical explanation for him going out on loan while we keep Willock and Nelson at the club, he is much better than they are

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
That's weird considering that our only AM is Özil and he barely plays. If Arteta decides to play that way, ESR could be a regular starter next season.

Theres nothing weird about thinking a 19/20 year old who has 0 experience in the the PL is going to struggle to get games.

Pair that with Artetas idea to play 4 3 3 and his apparent interest in keeping Ceballos and maybe signing another player for midfield.

People see our kids doing well in the championship and think they are ready to tear it up in the PL.

The difference is night and day. A dozen good games for Huddersfield doesnt mean he will get 25+ appearances here.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'll bet on him ending up behind the striker. The way he likes to run with the ball won't go well in the Premier League if he plays as an #8, it's too risky and it painfully reminds me of all the injuries that happened to Wilshere.
We also need to consider availability within the first team. There is an open position for Özil's replacement within next year, just enough time for him to get one more loan or some sub appearances/cup games at Arsenal.
Looking forward, I would expect Xhaka to be replaced internally with Azeez or Willock who would both play as an #8, depending on how their development ends up, and ESR's ability to score, create and run with the ball will probably be more useful if he can play with more freedom.
I do understand why you want him there, but I'm not so sure about his "engine" and would rather see him being fresh to make those bursts with the ball than doing all the grunt work that is required from an #8.

What reminds you of Wilshere exactly? Wilshere had small man syndrome, he was an idiot who tried to turn duels into 50 50s when the ball wasn't even there to be won.

He also kept the ball on the edge of his reach, Smith Rowe keeps it much closer. Wilshere left the ball there for you to think you could get it and then touched it at the last moment, basically drawing the whole contact and leaving him in the worst position while the defender is fully protected. ESR keeps it much closer.

I do agree he needs to release it earlier, but that's coaching. One flaw he needs to iron out is that when he is on the right hand side he dribbles infield showing the ball to the opponent, if they are quicker than him they can take it. He is incredibly one footed.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Theres nothing weird about thinking a 19/20 year old who has 0 experience in the the PL is going to struggle to get games.

Pair that with Artetas idea to play 4 3 3 and his apparent interest in keeping Ceballos and maybe signing another player for midfield.

People see our kids doing well in the championship and think they are ready to tear it up in the PL.

The difference is night and day. A dozen good games for Huddersfield doesnt mean he will get 25+ appearances here.
Both Willock and Saka got 25+ games so what makes you think that ESR can't do the same?
I would like to see some real arguments for once, not the "has 0 experience in the PL", that's just dull. I always rate quality above experience, and he has quality, more than some super experienced players that we see every week in PL. We've already experimented with experience over quality over the last 5-10 years, and that was by far the worst mistake the club did in its modern history.
Everyone needs to start somewhere and if he can start with some cup games and subs like Willock did, that would be a very good first season for him. He should be integrated with the team by the season 21/22 when Özil finally leaves.

I thought people would see things differently after some great success we've had with Saka, Martinelli, Eddie, and Willock who all integrated really well over their first season with the first team

Last edited:

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
What reminds you of Wilshere exactly? Wilshere had small man syndrome, he was an idiot who tried to turn duels into 50 50s when the ball wasn't even there to be won.

He also kept the ball on the edge of his reach, Smith Rowe keeps it much closer. Wilshere left the ball there for you to think you could get it and then touched it at the last moment, basically drawing the whole contact and leaving him in the worst position while the defender is fully protected. ESR keeps it much closer.

I do agree he needs to release it earlier, but that's coaching. One flaw he needs to iron out is that when he is on the right hand side he dribbles infield showing the ball to the opponent, if they are quicker than him they can take it. He is incredibly one footed.
Yeah, you're right, Wilshere did play like that and ESR runs a bit different with the ball. His injuries so far were muscular if I'm correct

Macho

Dusted 🔻

His game is much more matured than any of the youngsters with the exception of Saka. You don't see silly mistakes in his game like you would see it with Willock and he is not afraid to play like Nelson is.
Eventually, we will change formation once we get a bit more quality, and he can provide some depth for a couple of positions already.
I honestly can't see any logical explanation for him going out on loan while we keep Willock and Nelson at the club, he is much better than they are
Nah, he’s been here with the rest when they were all getting minutes here and there before his loan. He used to come on and do nothing. Emile actually stood out to me because of how unremarkable he was.

Willock, Nelson and Eddie are definitely more advanced in their development and able to contribute a lot more at this level compared to Emile.

I’m not talking about talent btw, but he definitely needs another loan I think.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

? Willock isn't half the talent and player ESR is, the only reason ESR isn't already a main stay in our eleven is the big injury he's had.

That's the big worry with him, not his abilities.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
I feel ESR has shown enough to suggest he can be effective in Cameos at EPL level - he was starting to get to that pace last season before his injury and then his loan to Germany.

I actually think he has similarities to everyone's golden boy Jack Grealish, though is a better finisher than the Villa man was at the same age, but not as good on his left foot.

For me, he starts the season at the club, and if he's not getting the games, you loan him out in January. But I can see him getting a lot of minutes off the bench, as he can fulfill different roles and his hard running with the ball is something we really lack elsewhere. He's at the stage where he could struggle or he could blow up big, because despite modest stats he was Huddersfield's best player during his spell there.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Willock, Nelson and Eddie are definitely more advanced in their development and able to contribute a lot more at this level compared to Emile.

I'm not convinced honestly, I just can't see how their game is more developed than his.
His decision making in the final third looks more mature and his raw talent is superior to the other guys, which makes me think he could make an impact similar to what we've seen with Saka and Martinelli.
Willock and Nelson didn't impress that much and both will be lucky to be at the club next year

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Like said I wasn’t necessarily talking about talent. The others can impose themselves in games at prem level and are just further ahead in their development @SingmeasongSong.

In terms of talent, like I said I very much think he’s in line with the rest of our guys and nothing overly special.

Out of all of them, I’d have backed Nelson and Saka to be standouts. Saka I’m a bit surprised at where he’s at now (Emile is nowhere near that level). Reiss Nelson - I admittedly expected more from him but he hasn’t kicked on like I expected.

9jagooner

They didn't ruin him but I'd still rather he played a lot more than he did. Would probably have been more beneficial, but he still came back better so I have no real complaints. I think while the style of football is important, it's much more important that he plays regularly - that's the entire reason we're sending him on loan.

Looking at Leeds, I'm not sure there's a need for ESR there at the moment.
Sure I want him to play more. Only reason I mentioned Leeds is that if he gets to play, at least when he returns to Arsenal, the high press is already ingrained in him.

I personally wish Emile can make a miraculous jump and be ready by September. He's just the type of player the team needs now. He'll make a big difference.

If we don't send him on loan, hopefully we can get a much older player with similar skills that he can learn from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom