• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
This thread is astounding in the way people just ignore the obvious.

It’s clear as day that Arteta has standards. It’s just as clear that he thinks Özil does not set a good example to the others, and if he plays him then he may as well abandon what he’s trying to achieve.

You can’t play someone at the expense of your integrity and compromise the respect you have from the squad that is vital to the team and club moving forward.

I remember under Arsène Özil would always take days off under the guise of illnesses and back problems. I think Özil falling out with Emery was over that and it happens now with Arteta. Like the guy wouldn’t even travel up North for games.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Maybe Arteta did his calculations and realized Özil is not good enough to be a starter but is paid too much to be sitting on our bench? And that the best way forward is to drive Özil out of the club so that we have more funds to play with?
It can’t be that because he knows Özil won‘t leave, no matter whether he is on the bench or completely out. As a manager who wants to win games he would rather have Özil (even if he thinks he is overpaid) on the bench than not at all. How much any player is paid doesn‘t affect him, he has said that himself.

But for Raul Sanllehi that is important, because our finances are crap after he spent 100+m on players last season with no European football to make it back.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I remember under Arsène Özil would always take days off under the guise of illnesses and back problems. I think Özil falling out with Emery was over that and it happens now with Arteta. Like the guy wouldn’t even travel up North for games.
To be fair to Wenger, that was probably the best way to get a tune out of him over a stretch, but even he couldn’t continue to eek it out of him in the end. Wenger knew it was going tits up pretty soon.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
I think he's being frozen out to get his wages of the books. He started every league game pre lockdown and Arteta seemed delighted with how he was playing.

I guess possibly there was an argument between them since then but that hasn't been as obvious as the Guendouzi situation.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Wenger shares part of the blame. He overindulged him. When Emery came, he drew a line in the Sand, but in the end he bulked under pressure and had to play Özil when results went tits up. If Özil was still decent, it wouldn't have made sense to force him out. But the guy makes no difference when he's on pitch.

Emery was right all along but the Özil acolytes disguised themselves as the 'emery out' brigades to try to push Emery out because Özil wasn't getting game time.

I'm 100% behind Arteta and Raul

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
I wonder sometimes what the situation would be with Özil if Arsène was still in charge? They obviously had a very good relationship and it`s also obvious that Özil was given special treatment,rightly or wrongly. Some will say that helped Wenger mostly getting very good performances from Özil, others will say it set a bad example to the rest of the team and is a factor in the mess we`re in now regarding Özil.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Arteta had the same standards before the break and Özil was a starter in every game and received high praises from Arteta. That argument simply doesn‘t hold.

Now whatever happened in between this break, we don‘t know because the club refuses to tell us, but it doesn‘t have anything to do with football, that‘s for sure because Arteta likes Özil as a player (even confirmed it a few days ago but then followed with „I can‘t tell you more“).

That‘s why you have people filling the gaps, some think there‘s something personal going on, some think it‘s because of his wages, some because they think Arteta suddenly realized he‘s crap. But in the end it‘s the clubs fault for not telling us what the hell‘s going on because this is not how a normal club behaves.
Özil is not playing because he is not good enough.

Özil’s fan girls have to stop making ridiculous excuses for him.

His greatest flaws are listed here on these pages:
https://arsenal-mania.com/forum/threads/mesut-Özil-2019-20-performances.33848/page-353

https://arsenal-mania.com/forum/threads/mesut-Özil-2019-20-performances.33848/page-354
If you are the Arsenal manager. And Arsenal paid your granny Özil’s wage. And they have made your granny to become an Arsenal player.

Would you have your granny in the starting 11? No, because you are the manager and you care about the match results.

How much your granny earns/how much money has arsenal wasted is irrelevant to the team picking. Because you pick your best team to win games.

Last edited:

morpho

Established Member
If it was that easy, refusal from Özil, it wouldnt be too hard to bring him to court to terminate his contract...

And if if it was indeed that he isnt good enough, why not throw him under the bus? Why not just come forward and say that "I expect more from him"? It couldnt make things worse than today anyway...

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
this is from the wish list post:
Is Van de beek even that technical?
It says magical skills here, but I only see simple play, no skills showing at all....

Just like I never understand why Özil get praised for being “technical”. Özil?? He is not modric, iniesta, Kaka, kdb, is he??....even cazorla/coutinho is much more technical than Özil.
And Dutch D agrees.
Not technical in the Kaka/Iniesta/Cazorla sense, I would not compare him to those players. They are creative players with insanely good dribbling/ball control skills in tight spaces. So if you expect that you're right he does not have 'magical skills'.

When I say technical I mean in the sense that he has a good first touch, can play one-touch football, decent passing range, always gives the right weight to passes, has decent dribbling skills to deal with pressure.

On top of that he has good vision, decision-making and spatial awareness (which is also why he is good at making runs into the box and scoring quite a few goals from midfield) and has a good engine to contribute on both sides of the pitch.

Defensively he's not good enough to be an anchor '6', but for a b2b player it's quite good.

He's not Frenkie level, but he's a very good cog in a midfield 3. Also, with the Ajax philosophy drilled into him, he's a positive attacking player looking for transitions to the final third, not sideways and backwards passing.
would rather have aouar than these non-technical flaws.

Last edited:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
No one says he is not creating problems in the final third, Özil is good at it.
He is getting criticised because he is shxt in the build up phase and defensive phase.

Özil was inconsistent for a reason. He is just like walcott. Their overall stats looks impressive, but they are **** if you actually watch their performance on the pitch.

They can’t carry the team and they are both inconsistent. This inconsistency is a result of them being limited players.

The problem with them is that they detaches themselves from the build up phase. They just focus on the final assist/finish. Since they are not actively involved in the build up phase, we didn’t have numerical advantage.

If our other players are good/lucky enough to get through the build up phase with numerical disadvantage, then there will be the use of Özil/walcott in the final third (these are matches that they will look good and up their stats). But if not, they will look invisible for the whole match, this is why many of you think they are inconsistent.

What actually happened is, their lack of involvement in the build up hurt our team from progressing the ball up the pitch. Which limited their chance to shine in the final third. So at the end it’s their own fault for their inconsistency.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Arteta had the same standards before the break and Özil was a starter in every game and received high praises from Arteta. That argument simply doesn‘t hold.

Now whatever happened in between this break, we don‘t know because the club refuses to tell us, but it doesn‘t have anything to do with football, that‘s for sure because Arteta likes Özil as a player (even confirmed it a few days ago but then followed with „I can‘t tell you more“).

That‘s why you have people filling the gaps, some think there‘s something personal going on, some think it‘s because of his wages, some because they think Arteta suddenly realized he‘s crap. But in the end it‘s the clubs fault for not telling us what the hell‘s going on because this is not how a normal club behaves.
Stop making excuses for Özil, he only has himself to be blame for being a extremely limited player.
Exactly mate. The games has evolved.

In this tactically detail orientated era, Özil is a huge tactical liability. He can only operates well in one phase of the game (in the final third). And if our team are struggling to get into the final third, he won’t contribute to help our team progressing into this phase. His problem is far from just defending.

These weaknesses of Özil was always there. Even if todays Özil is the same Özil 5 years ago, he will still be out of Arteta’s plan.

Since tactics has started to become more and more complex in the early 2010, there will only be one fate of these kind of players.

(I'm not talking about other #10. Most of them have the dribbling ability and they always helping the team in general play, which makes them still very useful players in todays game. I'm talking about players who focus on just one phase of the game, failing to contribute in other phases.)

Some articles portraits Özil as a victim of traditional #10 in modern football. His fans like to make excuses for him: “It’s the player type that is not suitable anymore in modern football. It’s not Özil to be blamed.”

But this is just not true.

Özil is very different to most #10. Most #10 are not just final third players, they can dribble in tight space for fun, and they involved heavily in the general play. Özil is so unique/limited that he only has himself to blame for not making it in modern football.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

All the evidence is there of what Özil has become, if you still think he is a "top player" then you haven't been watching our matches.
I said a top player who is past his best.

We’ve seen some awful cameos from Willock and Torreira at times. We’ve seen Arteta line up with a 433 with three strikers up top.

He’s declined but this is more than not being good enough, don’t know wtf is going on.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Wtf are you on about?

Read! Page 353-354 has clearly stated his huge flaws and weaknesses as a player.

Face the ****ing truth, he is not a top player.
Stop pretending he is and stop keep making excuses for him.
Again, I said a ‘top player past his best’.

Comprehension mate, try it. You would have saved yourself a few minutes.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Again, I said a ‘top player past his best’.

Comprehension mate, try it. You would have saved yourself a few minutes.
Again, Özil always has these weaknesses and flaws from day one.
Exactly.

Most #10 in the world are not being criticised for not good at defending. But why always Özil who is getting this criticism?

This is because Özil’s main problem is not even in defending/tracking back. Other #10 would heavily involved in the build up phase, and create the difference in the final third phase. Özil would just focus on the final third.

I never rate players who can only operate well in one phase, but being a tactical liability in other phases.

For all of the above (including the last few posts), I am not talking about the “declining” Özil. I am taking about the Özil who he always was. From day one he was here, he has all these flaws in his game.

Last edited:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Maybe you are right but I think completely leaving him out (rather than on the bench) is more of a „We don‘t want you here, no matter how hard you work“. From the bench he could still offer something, and show off his hard work (if it‘s there).

Personally think it‘s a Raul vs Özil thing rather than for football reasons. Finances are rough and getting an extra £350k/week could give Raul more room to maneuver. On the other hand Özil is entitled to his contract. It‘s a ****ed situation but I still think it‘s wrong to interfere with the managers football decisions from above, because it affects our results.
Maybe you are right – we’re all just speculating at the end of the day… I just feel that with what we’ve had to go on, it looks like a training field thing that has nothing to do with upstairs. I’m sure we’ll find out from a reliable source at some stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom