• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Arteta had the same standards before the break and Özil was a starter in every game and received high praises from Arteta. That argument simply doesn‘t hold.

Now whatever happened in between this break, we don‘t know because the club refuses to tell us, but it doesn‘t have anything to do with football, that‘s for sure because Arteta likes Özil as a player (even confirmed it a few days ago but then followed with „I can‘t tell you more“).

That‘s why you have people filling the gaps, some think there‘s something personal going on, some think it‘s because of his wages, some because they think Arteta suddenly realized he‘s crap. But in the end it‘s the clubs fault for not telling us what the hell‘s going on because this is not how a normal club behaves.

Emery lost the job by re-instating Özil. Arteta always knew it was a sensitive situation when he came in, he can't drop Özil instantly and turn against a significant section of the fan-base before winning over them, of course he was going to say nice things about him to media.

He first gave him some good run of games in which Özil didn't have much impact, after lock-down the fitness of other squad players may have drastically improved which meant it was right time to push him out. I saw the initial run of games under Arteta, Özil was doing the bare minimum and Arsenal fans were raving about him like he had put KDBesque performances. There were at least 5 players in each of those games who had a better game than him.

Literally everyone except his fanboys knew he would struggle under Arteta too, the game has moved beyond him and he won't start for any team in the PL. He plays in a dead role, one dimensional, one footed, passive for large periods of the game, no weaker foot, can't press, shoot, dribble, hold the ball, draw fouls or even win headers.

Özil's brainwashing is on another level, his fanboys will defend him if he burns their house down. Why would Arteta not play him if Özil makes the team better and can finish higher up the table, he cares more about his career than having some personal grudge on Özil. His fanboys will ignore 1000 proofs that he is finished, but they will cling on to some random quote Arteta made when journalists asked about Özil. Did you really expect him to come and say 'He's sh*t and a social media fraud' ?

Truth will come out once he leaves, if they tell it now not even one buyer will come for him.

Last edited:

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

He performed for a contract and stopped performing after getting it. A contract demands something in return. Özil hasn’t provided that. He’s not worked for the badge and shows little effort. Any sane Arsenal fan can see that.

What I don’t get is why so many defend him. Are you a fan of Özil and not of Arsenal? Do players have such devoted fans that they follow them wherever they go?

Yeah I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt for a long time but I've personally given up on him @ Arsenal.

It's clear that something happened over the break and I don't think it has much to do with the pay cut or the board pressuring Mikel.

Why? Because do you honestly, really think Arteta would stop using a player that could be instrumental in the way he wants to play just because the board want him to?

At the most what's probably happened is that his views align with the board at the moment and it's probably to do with attitude; whether Özil didn't apply himself during the break or something similar, given examples of AMN and Guendouzi.

We speculated for so long about AMN but in the end it came down to simple discipline and so it's probably the same here, sometimes the easiest answer really is just the answer.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Yeah I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt for a long time but I've personally given up on him @ Arsenal.

It's clear that something happened over the break and I don't think it has much to do with the pay cut or the board pressuring Mikel.

Why? Because do you honestly, really think Arteta would stop using a player that could be instrumental in the way he wants to play just because the board want him to?

At the most what's probably happened is that his views align with the board at the moment and it's probably to do with attitude; whether Özil didn't apply himself during the break or something similar, given examples of AMN and Guendouzi.

We speculated for so long about AMN but in the end it came down to simple discipline and so it's probably the same here, sometimes the easiest answer really is just the answer.
Attitude problem? Another ridiculous excuse. Face it, Özil is done because he is just not good enough. The post above from City_Skyblue has explained to you what you need to know.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Attitude problem? Another ridiculous excuse. Face it, Özil is done because he is just not good enough. The post above from City_Skyblue has explained to you what you need to know.

I was more referring to why he's been left out of the squad after the break despite playing almost every game before under Arteta tbh, maybe I didn't make that obvious enough in my post.

As to whether or not he's good enough, well he's declined that's for sure (and the numbers bear this out), but I'd suspect that Arteta would prefer to have him in the squad rather than not if all else were fine.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant

It’s not something happened over the break.

Özil has always been poor and no one in the PL side would want a limited, can’t press, can’t dribble, can’t hold the ball, one dimensional player who is just good in final third, not contributing in the build up phase/defensive phase of the game.

In the past when he first joined, his weaknesses are already very clear and bad. And at the time I already don’t like his way of playing. But as tactics evolves gradually in the past 10 years, his weaknesses are exposed even more and more. Which makes him looks even worse despite being the same player.

In this tactically detail orientated era, Özil is a huge tactical liability. He can only operates well in one phase of the game (in the final third). And if our team are struggling to get into the final third, he won’t contribute to help our team progressing into this phase. His problem is far from just defending.

These weaknesses of Özil was always there. Even if todays Özil is the same Özil 5 years ago, he will still be out of Arteta’s plan.

Since tactics has started to become more and more complex in the early 2010, there will only be one fate of these kind of players.

(I'm not talking about other #10. Most of them have the dribbling ability and they always helping the team in general play, which makes them still very useful players in todays game. I'm talking about players who focus on just one phase of the game, failing to contribute in other phases.)

Some articles portraits Özil as a victim of traditional #10 in modern football. His fans like to make excuses for him: “It’s the player type that is not suitable anymore in modern football. It’s not Özil to be blamed.”

But this is just not true.

Özil is very different to most #10. Most #10 are not just final third players, they can dribble in tight space for fun, and they involved heavily in the general play. Özil is so unique/limited that he only has himself to blame for not making it in modern football.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

It’s not something happened over the break.

I'm not really talking about his ability (which is a separate conversation) I should add.

I'm talking about the fact that he started most of his games with Arteta (which signified an importance to Arteta atleast) before the break and has started a sum total of 0 after.

Which is what my original post was referring to and how it's an attitude issue and not a problem with his pay or the board interference.

Last edited:

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I guess whatever it is will come out in the next week or two. Raul will push to get rid, it’s gonna be nasty.

One good game and then three horrible games....how often do we get good stats from him? I have already mentioned how inconsistent he is, I don’t need to explain in detail here.

And more importantly, he is sacrificing the team stats for his own stats. He never involved much in the build up phase hurting our team from creating more overload/possession/chances/to progress the ball up the pitch. Good final third player, shxt footballer.

This is the thing with Özil, having watched him from the Madrid days and thought he was overrated, my piss boiled whenever some gooners tried to hype him up. Now they are comparing 'prime Özil' with KDB and give excuses for the quality surrounding him.

My point is, if that's the case what's stopping from at least being the best man on the pitch ?
When the team is poor, he is one of the worst players on the pitch, when the team is good he is not even the best player on the pitch. Even in Madrid he was rarely the best player in a game, someone else would have had an amazing game and Özil raked up the assists. Unlike world class players, he is incapable of stand-out performances on is own which is why he should never be put along all-time greats of the game.

Jack Grealish is levels above anyone in that Villa team and it's there for everyone to see, don't see anyone saying he needs a DM and pacy wingers.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Just a shame how his Arsenal career has ended. Clearly his head isn't as in football as it once was.

He was disrespectful to Emery, wonder what he's been like since Arteta joined. I back Arteta with the pay cut thing, it would have showed solidarity. If Auba was happy to do it (similar age) then he should.

It was his right and choice not to but I think it's fine in a team game for there to be repercussions for that choice

Last edited:

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
I guess whatever it is will come out in the next week or two. Raul will push to get rid, it’s gonna be nasty.
C59-E45-EF-4-DAA-4-CCC-8590-80-B116-D829-F7.jpg

musoke

Replicate the motm performance in a victory hopefully, I meant. What’s wrong with that? Without it we probably don’t win.
Özil has never been a MOTM in any of our FA CUP FINALS.
He was just very good like everyone in the last one against Chelsea.
And 2 or 3 players were better than him in that final too.

musoke

Why do people hate him so much? I haven't read anything bad that Özil has said about the club but the fanbase just seems to despise him and it just seems to be because he makes money, even though he's probably the most recognizable player internationally.

Omg. Özil fans come up with the most cringeworthy statements.
The countless excuses they have made for him since he moved here have been exposed and now you are talking about how “He is the most recognisable player internationally?”
Wow.
So Özil being recognisable internationally does what for us on that pitch? What has it done for us as a club since he has been here?
It’s a weird thing to highlight.
:facepalm:

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
Doesn't look like he will playing next year so we gotta get him a loan with us paying at least 50% of his salary. Problem is I don't think he will agree with a loan. He wouldn't object to sitting out the whole year IMO. Not that fussed about playing and he likes London.

He would go on loan in Turkey but teams can't afford even half of his salary. Somewhere in Italy like Roma possibly, but they prob cant afford half his salary or see value in it at least. Milan should be forced to take him given this is Gazidis's mess.

Last edited:

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
Omg. Özil fans come up with the most cringeworthy statements.
The countless excuses they have made for him since he moved here have been exposed and now you are talking about how “He is the most recognisable player internationally?”
Wow.
So Özil being recognisable internationally does what for us on that pitch? What has it done for us as a club since he has been here?
It’s a weird thing to highlight.
:facepalm:

Worse than that, despite his significant experience, he is not really a leader or a teacher for our young players in the mould of Luiz during training.

musoke

He's not leaching, he has a contract and it's getting paid what was agreed. If he's available to play and they blocking him then that's on the club. My job told me to take paid time off, I'm not goin to argue
Both parties must have agreed on certian aspects before that contract. Right? Özil to perform and our club to pay him him handsomely. Isn’t?
Our club showed him the appreciation by accepting his ridiculous wage demands. But they surely expected Özil to also give them top performances for the most part whenever he stepped onto that pitch? Isn’t it?
Arsenal are sticking to their end of the agreement by paying him what they promised, while Özil seems to just be lazying around not caring that much whether he plays or not. They are still paying him even if he just continues to show no desire and commitment to our club. He spends more time playing online Video games and engaging in his typical Social Media vanity / propaganda than taking an extra hour to work on improving his game in training.

Arsenal are being fair employers l, looked after Özil well since he moved here. He and his agent asked for £300,000 a week even if Özil was never worth it. The club showed appreciation toward him by granting him such ridiculous wages. But the moment he got his hands on that contract and signed it he became like a typical COWBOY BUILDER.

Cowboy builders are good negotiators, they will sell you an expensive talk but once you hand over your money they start playing hide and seek with you, and end up doing an inadequate job.

That is how i look at the whole Özil contract. He squeezed £300,000 a week from our club but once we handed it over he showed his true colours. A pure selfish person that thinks the world owes him. He always plays the victim instead of working hard or adapting.

He just leaves a bitter taste in some of us.
Looks at the likes of Xhaka, Mustafi, Luiz, Sokratis etc, we have called them all kinds of names. They just keep trying their hardest even if we deem their hardest as still hnot enough in our eyes. But they never shy away.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Lol he’s rinsing the club but I don’t know if I would call him a selfish person. His philanthropy and his beliefs lead me to believe otherwise.

As far as reports go, he turns up to training on time and trains just fine. We don’t really know 100% why he’s not playing just making educated guesses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom