• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Willian

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 2,913
  • Views 232,062

Would you be happy with the Willian signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Also why are people under some sort of weird impression you're automatically useless when you reach 30?

PEA, Santi, Per, Bergkamp, Parlour, Adams, Bould,Dixon, Winterburn etc all great in the 30s.

I agree, it's a lazy narrative. Players bodies slow down at different rates, depending on lots of factors, natural physical traits, career injuries, amount of football played etc.

Some players have declined at 32, some keep on going well past that.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
So what'd you think when your lovely Dortmund team signed Hummels or even Meunier this year? Witsel? It's important to strike a balance, I was merely pointing out that Willian happens to be the cheaper option even if he's wages are higher due to the lack of transfer fee amortized into the total outlay.
Relax... Take your medicine old guy

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
People believed the "colossal" wage talk because it was fitting their agenda, wont mention any names.

But if anyone thinks about it logically after we cut Luiz wage by a lot we were always going to offer Willian what hes on now or even lower if the contract is longer.

What Ornstein says doesn't mean he won't be getting more than he currently earns, it just means it's probably not ridiculous money. Colossal would definitely be the wrong word to use.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Okay the main thing to take away from that tweet is that Arteta wants it.

I think Arsenal fans are so angry at Kia and Arsenal's hierarchy relationship that they are not considering that this is what our manager wants and I think most of us have a lot of trust in Arteta's judgement.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Willian is not better than Ziyech, what are you on about?! Think by now it should be clear to anyone after all his great CL performances.

Ziyech had a purple patch which appears to have worn off. Ajax were **** in this seasons CL and scraped a Dutch league. I'll go out on a whim and say Willian was better this year.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I agree, it's a lazy narrative. Players bodies slow down at different rates, depending on lots of factors, natural physical traits, career injuries, amount of football played etc.

Generally at top clubs you don’t see wingers past 32 though. Even if you’ve watched him in recent weeks he’s great with the ball but physically he’s not an asset. He’s not attacking defenders or going past anyone, generally keeps it neat and tidy now looking for that killer pass.

Chelsea fans actually accuse him of slowing down their play.

Top Quality

Not really on board with this signing... At all. For all the obvious reasons stated a million times in this thread. Age, wages, contract length, etc.

At least it seems like maybe the deal is something being driven by Arteta and not management, which, if true, would make me sliiightly more comfortable with it. And secondly, I'm consciously trying to give less of a **** about how big corporations spend their money. It's difficult not to care, but man, I'm getting tired of needing spreadsheets to know how to feel about my sports teams.

Last edited:

Highbury_2006

Village Idiot

And Willian has never been particularly injury prone.

Highbury_2006

Village Idiot
Generally at top clubs you don’t see wingers past 32 though. Even if you’ve watched him in recent weeks he’s great with the ball but physically he’s not an asset. He’s not attacking defenders or going past anyone, generally keeps it neat and tidy now looking for that killer pass.

Chelsea fans actually accuse him of slowing down their play.

Chelsea fans and their opinions isnt relevant at all.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Chelsea fans and their opinions isnt relevant at all.
Of course they are, they’ve watched him for 10 years.

What’s irrelevant is what this forum thinks, remember you guys said how great Luiz was? He’s been poor in nearly every game this season.

Highbury_2006

Village Idiot
Of course they are, they’ve watched him for 10 years.

What’s irrelevant is what this forum thinks, remember you guys said how great Luiz was? He’s been poor in nearly every game this season.

Why are you here? You are a City fan so you should join a City forum.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Willian average 4 dribbles per game in the CL and 2 dribbles per game in the PL
Also average 2.1 key passes per game, 6th best in the league

The problem with taking on board football fans opinion is that, its very short term generally. A player plays bad for 2-4 games and he instantly becomes ****

I definitely get the age concerns with Willian, we will be stuck with him till hes 35 but theres zero doubt in my mind thats he a good fit for the way arteta wants to play and will offer the creativity that we have lacked this season.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Why are you here? You are a City fan so you should join a City forum.

I’ve been trying to engineer a move for G since last summer, however wants high wages and is already balding at a young age so very difficult to get this deal complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom