• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Willian

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 2,913
  • Views 231,486

Would you be happy with the Willian signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I think Partey is a good chance of happening, especially with Willian deal being relatively cheap. Top CB will require us to sell someone like Laca and I dont rule that out. Obviously we have Guen, Sokratis, Holding to sell, Kola is possible. Not sure if AMN will go or not, I'd rather he stay but again if we want that top CB & Partey, we will have to sell.
Yeah a top CB depends on a lot of outgoings.

No way we sign a big name CB without selling two defenders. As we all know Sokratis doesn't want to leave and Mustafi and Chambers are injured. Realistically I think we can only sell Holding.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Would you rather we sign Zaha and forget all about Partey? That's the kind of choices we have to make on our budget. Willian is one signing in a window, if we get Partey and a top CB as well it will be a great window.

You say this as if your scenario is the only option available.

Its like when people were saying well would you rather sign Cech or no one? As if Cech was the only goalkeeper in the world that summer.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
So who are we signing? Not top CB, Willian, and maybe Partey?

On paper, looks terrible.

I predicted Willian, Partey, Sarr and Coutinho with Ceballos coming back and I think that will be it or close to it. Doubtful on Coutinho actually happening though. I think if they sell players they might go for a more permanent solution in attacking midfield. In terms of CB I don’t think they’ll go big for one until 3 or 4 of them are gone next summer.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Yeah a top CB depends on a lot of outgoings.

No way we sign a big name CB without selling two defenders. As we all know Sokratis doesn't want to leave and Mustafi and Chambers are injured. Realistically I think we can only sell Holding.

Yeah Holding definitely the easiest to sell, Sokratis I think could go, he's certainly not going to play for us so would be best for him. I guess it will be down to interested clubs and their appeal to him.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I don't really see the need for both Willian and Coutinho tbh. Coutinho has always performed better on the left IMO, and we will potentially have Auba and Willian as options there, not to mention Saka and Martinelli.

But we're gonna have so many games next year. Even in a regular season if you have to play PL, FA Cup, League Cup and Europa League (plus international games for some players) it's a very heavy strain on the squad, but 2020/21 is going to be even more difficult. The season has to start later but still finish in time for the Euros, there'll be no winter break. It's going to be a nightmare schedule. We're going to need a very deep squad, and we can't rely just on our kids for depth.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
You say this as if your scenario is the only option available.

Its like when people were saying well would you rather sign Cech or no one? As if Cech was the only goalkeeper in the world that summer.

No, Zaha was just an eg, what I mean is a player who costs a decent fee + top wages, or Willian! I prefer the latter for that position.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
The expensive part of the Ornstein tweet still worries me, but IF Arteta really wants him you kinda have to back the manager even though you disagree with the transfer.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Remember you posting that last year when we bought Pepe instead shoring up our crap defence. We're now 8th.

We need some quality in midfield and at CB to match Saliba. No more backup players, the squad is full of them.

Well you posted this last summer

We scored 73 goals last season with a golden boot winner, more than both teams in front of us.

But we shipped 51 goals, worse even than the teams in 7th, 8th and 9th position. Why, because we keep on making rash challenges around the box, give the ball away frequently and fail to mark the opposition properly.

No one winger will cure that ****ery.

So by your own logic now we’ve conceded less goals than 18/19 and scored 16 less than the year before surely bolstering our attacking positions is a must?

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Tbf bro, there isn't a rule that says you have to fix the defence first. You could do a Liverpool and fix the defence after.

Fixing the defence first would be the more cost effective way to get back into the CL though.
We need to fix our defence and midfield now. Anybody, and I mean anybody watching our matches for the last two years and seeing the crazy mistakes our players have made, would know.

Last years window was a disaster. It saw Emery off as he kept tinkering to try and stop the rot. And I fear the same for Arteta, and we don't want to lose him.

We need a player like Partey and a replacement for Ceballos (or sign him now he seems to have got used to the prem).We also need a CB to match Seliba. Mustafi, Sokratis, Holding need to go or be backup with Luiz.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
The expensive part of the Ornstein tweet still worries me, but IF Arteta really wants him you kinda have to back the manager even though you disagree with the transfer.

I don't think Ornstein is saying anything worthwhile/groundbreaking tbh.

Arteta wants Willian in relation to other transfers we're going to make; it's not like he's choosing him as his no. 1 priority in that position.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I don't think Ornstein is saying anything worthwhile/groundbreaking tbh.

Arteta wants Willian in relation to other transfers we're going to make; it's not like he's choosing him as his no. 1 priority in that position.

Yeah that's why I think it's a big if. Almost as like the club knew a lot of people would be against this.

Got to hope for the best I guess.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
But we're gonna have so many games next year. Even in a regular season if you have to play PL, FA Cup, League Cup and Europa League (plus international games for some players) it's a very heavy strain on the squad, but 2020/21 is going to be even more difficult. The season has to start later but still finish in time for the Euros, there'll be no winter break. It's going to be a nightmare schedule. We're going to need a very deep squad, and we can't rely just on our kids for depth.

That's a fair point, but we have glaring holes in our first 11 which have to be addressed before we start worrying about squad depth. Of course if we sign Coutinho he would be first 11, but I think given it looks like we are signing Willian (who is a similar player imo), a CB/CM/9 are of greater importance now.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Well you posted this last summer

So by your own logic now we’ve conceded less goals than 18/19 and scored 16 less than the year before surely bolstering our attacking positions is a must?
I stand by that post. We're conceding circa 50 goals a season, which is mid to bottom half table stuff.

Pepe seems to be getting used to the Prem now and the last few games he's improved. We've thrown a lot of money at that forward line and if Auba can stay, let's trust it, and put the money where it's needed.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

We need to fix our defence and midfield now. Anybody, and I mean anybody watching our matches for the last two years and seeing the crazy mistakes our players have made, would know.

Last years window was a disaster. It saw Emery off as he kept tinkering to try and stop the rot. And I fear the same for Arteta, and we don't want to lose him.

We need a player like Partey and a replacement for Ceballos (or sign him now he seems to have got used to the prem).We also need a CB to match Seliba. Mustafi, Sokratis, Holding need to go or be backup with Luiz.
I think we sign a Cm regardless tbf. The type of CM that will aid the defence. So while on paper CM & Willian looks like we're neglecting the defence, we've long agreed that our midfield is the reason why our defence gets exposed.

You're right about the individual errors though...but I think we'd see less of them with better shielding from the midfield.

Bloodbather

Established Member

So who are we signing? Not top CB, Willian, and maybe Partey?

On paper, looks terrible.

It may be my low expectations, but if we do end up signing Partey that's enough to count this one as a positive transfer window for me. That's a potentially transformative signing and one that's not easy to pull off.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

I think we sign a Cm regardless tbf. The type of CM that will aid the defence. So while on paper CM & Willian looks like we're neglecting the defence, we've long agreed that our midfield is the reason why our defence gets exposed.

You're right about the individual errors though...but I think we'd see less of them with better shielding from the midfield.
Honestly don't think it matters who's in front of Sokratis, Mustafi, Luiz, rash challenges dubious decision making under pressure is in their makeup.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
I predicted Willian, Partey, Sarr and Coutinho with Ceballos coming back and I think that will be it or close to it. Doubtful on Coutinho actually happening though. I think if they sell players they might go for a more permanent solution in attacking midfield. In terms of CB I don’t think they’ll go big for one until 3 or 4 of them are gone next summer.

If we sign them both(W&C), our options would be incredible.

Like even if we just sign Willian in attack, we can make a seamless switch from the current formation to a 4231 by just putting Willian in and taking out a CB.

Now add Coutinho to that and the variety would honestly be unreal.

Pepe Willian/Coutinho Auba
Laca

Pepe Willian Coutinho
Auba

Willian Coutinho Auba
Laca
And probably more. Only question is if go the 433 route instead but even then we'd have a wealth of opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom