• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Francis Cagigao Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Doubt it. These are real peoples’ lives.

If you’re some poor sod working in the ticket office bet you’d love to have your job ripped away from you with months of no income just so you can fool journos and rival clubs.
It was a tongue in cheek post ffs.

Don't know why this got you riled up:lol:

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Wenger wouldnt have let the staff be fired, Wenger wouldnt have let the agents run riot.

no wonder the wenger out campaign was so well funded.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Wasn't Özil was the only one refusing the pay cut, not on the principle of a pay cut per se but simply because he first wanted assurances on where the money would be spent? A lot of criticism and vitriol went his way as a result.

Kick in the teeth for the rest who were suckered into giving away 12.5% (now 7.5%) and now find it insufficient to save even 55 relatively low-paid jobs and being used instead to fund signing on fees and incentives for new players. No wonder they now want some answers.

Seems like Özil (or rather his agent, Erkut Sogut) was the only one who sussed out the club's real and shameful priorities....
Spot on, Özil didn’t refuse any pay cut, he asked for transparency, which he didn’t receive.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Wasn't Özil was the only one refusing the pay cut, not on the principle of a pay cut per se but simply because he first wanted assurances on where the money would be spent? A lot of criticism and vitriol went his way as a result.

Kick in the teeth for the rest who were suckered into giving away 12.5% (now 7.5%) and now find it insufficient to save even 55 relatively low-paid jobs and being used instead to fund signing on fees and incentives for new players. No wonder they now want some answers.

Seems like Özil (or rather his agent, Erkut Sogut) was the only one who sussed out the club's real and shameful priorities....

Yes I think thats true about Özil. I wasn't having a go about that, he was right to question it. I was having a dig at him not making an effort in training and seems happy to just take his salary and not play.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
There is now way of knowing this. How do we know what players he recommended? If he wasn't involved/had limited involvement in the signings over the last 10 years, he obviously had very little input, so him leaving won't exactly be a big miss anyway.

These are all ifs and buts though. All we know what he was part of a department that failed miserably for 10-15 years.

We know because reliable journalists reported, you even have the fkin players coming out and thanking him.... but I guess thats all buts, ifs and maybes. Restructure grand but keep the one who is far better than everyone else.

akhil

Those tributes are from players who did well for us. What about all the players who were duds?
From his area alone, outside Fabregas, Bellerin,Martinez and Martinelli ,we got Toral, Merida, Bothelho, Wellington, Ignasi, Pleguezuelo. None of these guys play at prominent level now.
What about Gabriel Paulista, Andre Santos, Denilson?

There's no way to fully asses his success without knowing the duds as well. What about players he didn't approve of but went on to have significant careers.
This overhaul is the final cull of Wenger's way of doing things following the academy restructuring done earlier. The people speaking to the press are bound to be disgruntled after things get shaken up after 2o something years of doing things a particular way. I don't know how StatDNA figures in all of this.

Success of the people replacing them and their strategy will take a few years to asses and that will fall on Edu.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Don’t understand, we were the first ones to move to data analytics almost a decade ago, Sven was using data analytics but you still need the scouting network, last year they said there were moving away from data analytics.

Yeah pretty much sums up my thoughts on that, it's not really making sense unless what Sven was doing wasn't focused on stats, but then everyone says Sven loved stats lol.

Impact

Established Member
I doubt how well briefed the press are on this point. Time will tell whether we are moving to a more agent driven or data led approach or indeed something in between but in reality none of that matters. For the most part, none of us will care about our scouting methods provided that our recruitment is good and our team is successful in the seasons to come. That is the litmus test for Edu et al.

Last edited:

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I've had time to think about this. A part of me thinks they're using the uncertain times ahead with Corona to restructure and for the time being, we'll be using Kia players cos they're easy to obtain and it's efficient if we're already on good terms with the agent .
What is hard to pinpoint is what we do for the near future?

I hope that the club takes the pragmatic approach. I agree that our scouting department needed reshuffling, for all the great signings we made there has been a lot more duds and missed opportunities that we like to admit. I think Arsenal's problem is that we lean too much into one paradigm of recruitment when we should be open to using multiple methods. If you don't, you limit yourself to a smaller market.

Wenger treated his scouts as gospel but they were outdated like Grimandi. Grimandi picked up Yaya Sanogo while Mpabbe, Martial and Dembele were available. A French scout during France's golden era picked Sanogo. And Wenger would not allow himself to work with certain agents which limited our scope. Hazard, Kante, Ronaldo, Mahrez, etc could have been ours if Wenger was more willing to use agents. Networking is powerful in business and it's no difference in football. Sometimes knowing the right people is enough.

Then we overly trusted in data with StatDNA and ended up with crap. StatDNA said Lucas Perez was a better signing over Antoine Griezmann. The best clubs are not dogmatic to one approach, they'll often use multiple methods to recruit. Yes, Liverpool are the poster boys of data scouting but they also paid the highest fees in agent dealings. The Monaco team that knocked out City in the CL some years ago were known for their great scout Luis Campos who unearthed Mpabbe and others but the club still had a business relationship with Jorge Mendes.

I think for a club like us, of our stature we need to be open to new ideas that allow us to be in first place most of time. That's all what recruitment is these days. Remember by the time Martinelli was 15 he had trials at United and Barca but the difference was, we were the first to take a chance and that basically sums up what intelligent recruitment is, being the first to act and see dividends paid.

Maybe we pay a bit extra to get the next best thing, okay we may have to take a Cedric or two but if it's the next Ronaldo, nobody will be thinking of Cedric. Another time it's data that will unearth a gem or maybe your scout in Malaysia finds the next Messi. Whatever it is, it has malleable and they all have to work with each other.

Last edited:

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

We're now beholden to Kia calling the shots as apparently he knows what's good & what's not for Arsenal club has sadly become a soulless husk with the ascent of Raul & his cronies.

I detest what we've become.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Starting to think that Kia and his agent buddies Wenger hated so much planted AFTV to get rid of him.
Wenger wouldnt have let the staff be fired, Wenger wouldnt have let the agents run riot.

no wonder the wenger out campaign was so well funded.
arsene_wenger-169.jpg

Wenger: My life and lessons in red and white out November 10, 2020.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Don’t understand, we were the first ones to move to data analytics almost a decade ago, Sven was using data analytics but you still need the scouting network, last year they said there were moving away from data analytics.
Last year the data analytics suggested that we move away from data analytics, this year it's suggesting that we move back to it. It's simple really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom