• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta and Edu Transfer Targets: Summer 2020

Which signing would you prioritize of the two?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
1818322_Arsenal.jpg

Is this a title contending side next year?

The season after next maybe. Bellerin would need to go and maybe Xhaka replaced to be a true title contender

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
According to Manu Sainz of AS we're the most interested in signing James.

https://as.com/futbol/2020/08/07/primera/1596768987_484082.html

Most likely bollocks trying to work up interest but then I thought the same about Coutinho. Never know these days with Three Fids Sanllehí and his cronies at the helm. It's a direct source so there's at least the (minor) possibility it's legit information haha.

So who do you guys rate more, James or Cou?

James is the better creator it would seem, averaging a whole key pass per game more than Cou in his two seasons at Bayern, and in general seems to have done better there than Coutinho has, but perhaps a bit slower and even worse defensively/pressing than Cou?

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
According to Manu Sainz of AS we're the most interested in signing James.

https://as.com/futbol/2020/08/07/primera/1596768987_484082.html

Most likely bollocks trying to work up interest but then I thought the same about Coutinho. Never know these days with Three Fids Sanllehí and his cronies at the helm. It's a direct source so there's at least the (minor) possibility it's legit information haha.

So who do you guys rate more, James or Cou?
Nope i don't think we are interested. Coutinho is more useful for us than James.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Coutinho is the better dribbler but James comes out superior in end product (G + A) and passing and chance creation compared to Coutinho. He's the better pure creator which is what we badly need. Auba would probably get a lot of joy playing with him.

That said, just looking at the basic, limited whoscored stats, and it feels like ages since I've watched either of these players. James was actually world class for a whole season for Madrid though, not sure you can say that for Cou.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
1818322_Arsenal.jpg

Is this a title contending side next year?

I think the better question would be is it a top 4 competing side next year. Arteta has to restructure the team in the way they play and bed in the new players which will take some time youd imagine.

Replace Aouar with say Coutinho and if Gabriel & Saliba are as good as Campbell and Koscielny we could build on our defence and do it with a lot of 1 nil wins. If they're not (of course they wont be that good straight away if ever) it depends on how good they are really. If were back to say Luiz and Mustafi we're doomed.

More likely we'll be trying to compete for top 4 places by a lot of wins over the lower down teams. Their sitting deep should be broken by a combo of Coutinho(if we get him), Willian, Aubemeyang and Pepe. If they try and sit deep and hit us on the counter our defence should be quick and strong in the air which would make it very difficult for them.

On the other side of it, Arteta has shown he knows how to get wins against the top teams by sitting deep, so if we can add an ability to break down lwoer teams who knows where we will be but I still think top 4 would be a massive achievement with that team in its first season. You gotta look at the competition as well and how much they're strengthening.

benjamin86

Established Member
I think the better question would be is it a top 4 competing side next year. Arteta has to restructure the team in the way they play and bed in the new players which will take some time youd imagine.

Replace Aouar with say Coutinho and if Gabriel & Saliba are as good as Campbell and Koscielny we could build on our defence and do it with a lot of 1 nil wins. If they're not (of course they wont be that good straight away if ever) it depends on how good they are really. If were back to say Luiz and Mustafi we're doomed.

More likely we'll be trying to compete for top 4 places by a lot of wins over the lower down teams. Their sitting deep should be broken by a combo of Coutinho(if we get him), Willian, Aubemeyang and Pepe. If they try and sit deep and hit us on the counter our defence should be quick and strong in the air which would make it very difficult for them.

On the other side of it, Arteta has shown he knows how to get wins against the top teams by sitting deep, so if we can add an ability to break down lwoer teams who knows where we will be but I still think top 4 would be a massive achievement with that team in its first season. You gotta look at the competition as well and how much they're strengthening.
Top 6 and winning the Europa is probably more realistic than top 4 next season.
I'd just be happy if we hit 70+ points and concede less than 35 goals that would be something to build upon. (quick look and we've not conceded less than 35 since 07-08)

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Top 6 and winning the Europa is probably more realistic than top 4 next season.
I'd just be happy if we hit 70+ points and concede less than 35 goals that would be something to build upon. (quick look and we've not conceded less than 35 since 07-08)

We cant afford to not get top 4 next season with this window coming.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
What do you mean? We're going to have to have a very good transfer window to get top 4, Chelsea have bought well and MUFC seem to have found a way to play.

Chelsea haven't bought well in the positions they really need to buy, which is defence. In fact their defence is on par with the relegation fodder, lampard is also quite poor tactically in defence.

United have a PE teacher as their manager, Bruno Fernandes and a shoddy rest of the league are the reason they finished 3rd. If their only signing is Sancho they'll be in a top 4 scrap.

IF our window is Gabriel, Partey, Willian and Aouar for example we have a very good chance of finishing top 4. Especially as we have a better manager than the other two.

Halcyon Daze

What do you mean? We're going to have to have a very good transfer window to get top 4, Chelsea have bought well and MUFC seem to have found a way to play.
Have this conversation after October 5th. Lot of stuff happening before then. You say Chelsea bought well, they have attacking wise, but let’s see if they replace trash like Rudiger, Azpilicueta and Alonso.

benjamin86

Established Member
Chelsea haven't bought well in the positions they really need to buy, which is defence. In fact their defence is on par with the relegation fodder, lampard is also quite poor tactically in defence.

United have a PE teacher as their manager, Bruno Fernandes and a shoddy rest of the league are the reason they finished 3rd. If their only signing is Sancho they'll be in a top 4 scrap.

IF our window is Gabriel, Partey, Willian and Aouar for example we have a very good chance of finishing top 4. Especially as we have a better manager than the other two.
I think we agree then? I would say that's a very good window for us.

benjamin86

Established Member
Have this conversation after October 5th. Lot of stuff happening before then. You say Chelsea bought well, they have attacking wise, but let’s see if they replace trash like Rudiger, Azpilicueta and Alonso.
Kepa is main player they should replace! I think i read he had the worst save percentage among every goalkeeper in England he was 730 out of 730.

Halcyon Daze

Kepa is main player they should replace! I think i read he had the worst save percentage among every goalkeeper in England he was 730 out of 730.
Took that as a given, hence why they’ve been that old boy instead. But not convinced they’ll do much else defensive wise. Hoping so anyway. They’ve spunked a massive amount already. Add a new keeper that’s a massive summer outlay regardless of what they get for Kepa.

benjamin86

Established Member
Took that as a given, hence why they’ve been that old boy instead. But not convinced they’ll do much else defensive wise. Hoping so anyway. They’ve spunked a massive amount already. Add a new keeper that’s a massive summer outlay regardless of what they get for Kepa.
I'd expect them to make some decent sales this summer, they own so many players! Batshuayi to palace for decent money would be the obvious one from the first team but they've still got Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Kenedy, Van Ginkel, Baba Rahman, Zapacosta to name a few that have been on loan.

Halcyon Daze

I'd expect them to make some decent sales this summer, they own so many players! Batshuayi to palace for decent money would be the obvious one from the first team but they've still got Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Kenedy, Van Ginkel, Baba Rahman, Zapacosta to name a few that have been on loan.
Agree but that will recoup their outlay, I think he’ll keep his defenders and try and bed in Reece James, Tomori and Ampadu back from Leipzig (who bossed sp**s in the CL). What I’m saying is if that happens they’re not a shoe in for top 4. If we do what I hope we do, no reason why we can’t finish above them. And United? We’ll see what they’ll do in the summer, but in no way are they a shoe in either. Definitely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom