• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Yeah his contribution was minimal at best, but so was Özil's contribution to our FA cup
what about the other two FA cups that we won with Özil?

Yeah his contribution was minimal at best, but so was Özil's contribution to our FA cup
He started the Final, IIRC. what more contribution do you want Cesc to produce?

He didnt win squat with us, just like RvP. Was close to the CL medal though. That would have been an achievement.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
he was doing his bit, if you ask me. an AM is supposed to create chances. If the CDMs are giving the ball away, don't go bleating about the attackers.

Nobody was criticising Özil when we were playing good football. He was criticsed in the final Wenger years when we had a shambolic run of results (which he was partly responsible for). After Emery came, Özil suddenly was public enemy number 1 at AFC and our whole results/transfers/attitude depended upon getting him out of the club.

Which #10 are good at tackling? Santi? Silva? Rui Costa? Ramsey? Nasri? Hazard? Zidane? Maradona?

Arteta was good at tackling, and he was moved from AM to CDM.

I understand why subbing him in will not help. Does it help if our team is losing and he is at home playing Fortnite?

I din't say Cesc was done. I implied he had achieved everything and the hunger died. He had already played 10 years top-flight by 26 and you can imagine if he was not as interested to influence games as he was before. Cesc was not a first XI at barca and he didnt mind.

Lets see..DLP, you say...Song had 11 assists in 2011 in Arsenal. Cesc had 9 in Barcelona. So by your own 'goalposts', Song > Cesc!

C'mon, let see you try harder.

I am sorry if I made people confused by the term “contributing in the defensive phase”. I never say AM needs to be good at tackling. Özil just need to do minimal in the defensive phase, but not nothing. Most number 10s are capable to do this minimal anyway (not saying they are good in defending). What do I mean by this? Please let me explain:

1) At least to contribute a small bit in the pressing when we are pressing our opponent as a team. And you don’t have to press like Sanchez. Just making small movements to block out opponent’s passing lane would do.

For example, there was one situation in the Chelsea fa cup final match, auba switched off and didn’t press (most of the time he does, unlike Özil, auba is just one off), but ceballos and laca did press. Because of that Chelsea were able to create the free man, and ceballos was dragged upwards. Chelsea take advantage of that. They create play in the midfield, where ceballos should have occupied. And Chelsea got the goal because of that. If auba did press, there’s no problem for ceballos getting upwards, because they wouldn’t create a free man. We would forced them into having no passing options............These are just decisions and movements to be made, you don’t need to be good at defending to do that.

2) If our team are not pressing, and is defending in our own half. The minimum is to just be there, keeping our team shape (instead of leaving gaps). And you need to move back into position, at the moment we lost the ball (the transition). Just to move back, no defensive skills/tackling required.

Last edited:

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Not necessarily true; many 10s play in the final third waiting to receive from their midfield partners

Not every team builds out from the back also, so depends on the playing style
Erm...most top teams build from the back. Some might play long balls in a few games due to tactical requirements or the opponent forcing them to go long. But every top team wants security in possession.

I'm interested to know the No10 that 'waits' in the final third. pls humour me

Last edited:

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
what about the other two FA cups that we won with Özil?

He started the Final, IIRC. what more contribution do you want Cesc to produce?

He didnt win squat with us, just like RvP. Was close to the CL medal though. That would have been an achievement.
Özil only had a meaningful contribution in 2017. He was basically a passenger in the rest.

I don't understand. So you're telling me Özil was the reason we won those FA cups? Ramsey, Santi and Sanchez weren't better?

Thank God Özil didn't feature in this year's FA cup, if not his fans would have been droning on about how he won the FA cup for us :lol:

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Özil only had a meaningful contribution in 2017. He was basically a passenger in the rest.

I don't understand. So you're telling me Özil was the reason we won those FA cups? Ramsey, Santi and Sanchez weren't better?

Thank God Özil didn't feature in this year's FA cup, if not his fans would have been droning on about how he won the FA cup for us :lol:
I'm not going into a mud slinging match with you about who contributed more, or less.

it's a team game. if he gets on the pitch, he contributes to the victory, and gets a medal.

No one would dare say anything about this years FA cup. Its Auba's cup. Don't put words in my mouth.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
More assists than Bergkamp. Wow. Legend.
This further suggested that you have to watch full football matches to judge a player, not just rely on stats.

Bayern can pick the worst keeper from the PL to start for them, and they will still win the league. That keeper would have more clean sheets than someone like Leno. Does that mean Leno is worse than the worst PL keeper?

Özil does nothing in a match, and would just switch on in the final third. He gets those stats because he is a good final third player, but that’s it, zero other contribution, which posted a huge negative impact on the team stats. If you watched his games, you know he is a huge liability of the team, in both build up and defensive phase.

Last edited:

Jae

Love this thread :lol: can't even tell who's being sarcastic and who's being serious anymore with some of the sh*te people post.

Going to assume it's sarcasm because nobody could be that delusional.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/mesut-Özil-arsenal-contract-pay-22492676.amp

Arsenal will make a new push to reach an agreement over Mesut Özil’s £18m contract nightmare.

They are ready to make an offer to pay him off and reach a deal or subsidise his £350,000-a-week wages if he moves to another club.

Özil, 31, has one year left on his deal, does not want to leave Arsenal and is ready to sit tight but the club want to find a compromise to help free up money in their wage bill for transfer business this summer.

It has turned into a financial headache for Arsenal as the club want to shake up the squad this summer with Chelsea's Brazilian forward Willian set to sign while Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has been offered a new three year deal to stay.

There are no obvious takers for Özil as there is simply not the money in Turkish football to make it a reality but the Germany World Cup winner was frozen out in the final weeks of the season.

They must now try to find a solution but it will be difficult with no obvious takers for Özil.

Damn, is this your king?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Quickest to 50 assists in PL history, 4th in the all time arsenal assists lists etc.

His legacy is set in stone.
Seriously, not in England it isn't. And definitely not among Arsenal fans. Maybe his fans in Asia and the middle east on Twitter, but not here. You know that as well. It is what it is.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
what about the other two FA cups that we won with Özil?.
He was here when we won a coupe of trophies, just as lots of other players were here. I don't know why his presence in a couple of our FA cup winning squads is stated so much... I mean, it's not even as if any particular moments from him spring to mind in any of the cup runs, so it just makes it all the stranger.

As best, he was an enigmatic player who split the fan base from quite early, who started quite well and tailed off badly. That was Özil's Arsenal career.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

As best, he was an enigmatic player who split the fan base from quite early, who started quite well and tailed off badly. That was Özil's Arsenal career.
Not sure how this can even be denied but someone will find a way.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Are people trying to paint the FA Cups as Özil's legacy? He started the final of the first one, was subbed off for one of Rosicky, I believe and had neither a goal or an assist. The next one against Villa, we had goals from Alexis, Theo, Per and Giroud (Not sure?), then the one against Chelsea, Özil had no role, and didn't even play this 4th one.

GoonerJay24

No manager is going to leave a midfielder in final third and instruct the CM to bring the ball to him. That's just mental. Because wenger did it with him doesn't mean it was tactically astute. Attacking midfielders are now required to drop deep and involve more in build up play. Not just waiting in the final third ffs. :lol:

Again it depends on the playing style, not every side builds up play the same way

GoonerJay24

Erm...most top teams build from the back. Some might play long balls in a few games due to tactical requirements or the opponent forcing them to go long. But every top team wants security in possession.

I'm interested to know the No10 that 'waits' in the number pls humour me

I'm interested to know the No10 that 'waits' in the number pls humour me

Waits in the number?

Some teams build up through the middle others use the flanks to approach play and then theres the long ball tactic; not exactly rocket science!

It depends on the coaches philosophy where they want their 10s positioned during different playing phases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom