• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexandre Lacazette (Out)

say yes

forum master baiter
You're talking as if Lacazette is brilliant at linking play in the middle, he's okay at it but nothing special. The whole point in us signing a creative player is so we don't have to rely on the striker doing this for us.
Erm, no I’m not?

Lacazette is good at linking play in the middle, but as you say he’s not particularly special at it. My issue is that Aubameyang is horrendous at linking play.

And you’re kidding yourself if you think that won’t matter if we have a creative mid in the side. The CF is the fulcrum of the side in a modern 433. This isn’t FIFA where they just need to sprint and shoot.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Erm, no I’m not?

Lacazette is good at linking play in the middle, but as you say he’s not particularly special at it. My issue is that Aubameyang is horrendous at linking play.

And you’re kidding yourself if you think that won’t matter if we have a creative mid in the side. The CF is the fulcrum of the side in a modern 433.

It won't matter. Not sure what you're expecting from a CF? We aren't in false 9 territory here, Auba is capable of passing in a straight line and playing one two's with his fellow players. :lol:

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
A lot of that had to do with Laca being in poor form but he managed to pick it up a bit, particularly in Nketiah's absence. It will be interesting to see how Nketiah goes into this season. I would consider loaning him personally. I want him, Nelson and Willock in particular to play regular football for a season. As in, more starts and 90 minute matches.

I agree Laca picked it up, my point was Nketiah was already keeping him out the side, if he hadn't been suspended that may have continued. Yes to a loan if Laca stays but not if we sell. Nelson I'm not too fussed about now. Willock I like a lot, could be a big season for him.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If it’s easy to find a better (and cheaper) CF than Lacazette, why would any club buy him from us?

Because he is an experienced player. Better and cheaper comes with inexperience and potential. Lacazette guarantees you 10-15 goals and probably 20+ if he is your primary penalty taker. He will also suit La Liga and Serie A more.

I just feel we need more from a Cf in England.

say yes

forum master baiter
Because he is an experienced player. Better and cheaper comes with inexperience and potential. Lacazette guarantees you 10-15 goals and probably 20+ if he is your primary penalty taker. He will also suit La Liga and Serie A more.

I just feel we need more from a Cf in England.
But if they’re definitely better than Lacazette surely they will guarantee more than his 10-15 goals?

Not sure I’m understanding this. If they’re already better, have higher potential, and are cheaper, why would anyone want to buy Lacazette? Experience isn’t worth anything by itself.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Erm, no I’m not?

And you’re kidding yourself if you think that won’t matter if we have a creative mid in the side. The CF is the fulcrum of the side in a modern 433. This isn’t FIFA where they just need to sprint and shoot.

Spot on, if Laca goes number 9 becomes number 1 priority. Its arguably the most important position in the team.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Aubameyang who has won the golden boot, broke Henry's scoring record and was a ball hair away from winning the golden boot again.

Honestly reading some of your posts you're a penny land gdeep.
Honestly, if you'd read the whole thing carefully, you'd realize I was exposing Garrincha's hypocrisy.
He said that Laca is declining at 29, but Auba is 2 years older, so by his logic he's declining more.
Pay attention before branding some as a GDeep clone. I actually feel offended by that.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Spot on, if Laca goes number 9 becomes number 1 priority. Its arguably the most important position in the team.

Does it though? I am just making a guess that Arteta wants a creative cf who links plays, but the truth is we have no idea how he wants to play. He has literally been fure fighting making small adjustments to get the most of what we have.

He has said he views Martinelli and Auba as Cfs. If you have the ball retention on the wings, your Cf can be the goal scorer. Jesus plays central for City. He isn't good on the ball or good at linking play. Martinelli may be the best bet at being both and it would make sense to develop him there.

It all comes down to how Arteta wants to play.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
I disagree @drippin and @lomekian.

He's the third best earner in the squad after Auba and Özil. £180k/week just to have a decent bench option is not smart squad planning. Especially if you have two talented back-up strikers in the squad with Nketiah and Martinelli. I'll admit they are not (yet) as good back-up options as Lacazette, but they are probably on 1/6th of the wages and they have significant upside. I think both could develop in the short term (so next season) to be a good enough back-up striker for a top6 team.

Lacazette is still a sellable asset at 29, but next year with one year left on his contract it's already a different story. That money can be used to strengthen other areas and sure you'll (slightly) weaken the back-up ST option, but the starting XI will become stronger. If you insist on bringing in another striker Depay and Edouard are probably available for similar fees and have more upside.

The problem with this argument is that it relies on a lot of uncertainties. If we could sell Laca, buy Eduourd or Depay and guarantee them replicating their recent from in the EPL, I'll happily sign up for that.

But is Edouard even available? Has Depay's knee recovered? Will the Laca fee be sufficient to buy either? Why wouldn't whoever wants Laca just buy one of them instead?

I like the scenario where this happens, but it relies upon a number of things we can't control and some we can't predict.

Martinelli being fit and Nketiah being a year futher along in his development would make this a much easier decision for Arsenal. As it stands there is some fundamental risk, which makes it a less clear cut call. I can see him leaving, but I can also see (a bit like the Auba deal) that him leaving will dependent on other pieces falling into place.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Honestly, if you'd read the whole thing carefully, you'd realize I was exposing Garrincha's hypocrisy.
He said that Laca is declining at 29, but Auba is 2 years older, so by his logic he's declining more.
Not player follows the same decline. Auba is maintaining the production & performances. There will be a decline at some point but not seen it yet with Auba.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

If we sell Laca then the replacement has to be very good is all I'm saying.

Laca's hold up play isn't even the best but it's miles better anyone else's who could start up front for us.

I would sell this summer but his stock is quite low so I wouldn't be averse to gambling on him having a better season next year. That way we have a stronger squad and still make the same transfer fee as we would have this summer.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Not player follows the same decline. Auba is maintaining the production & performances. There will be a decline at some point but not seen it yet with Auba.
Auba is maintaining the production, not always the performances. There are plenty of games where he's invisible.
The reason he produces is because he barely does any defensive work and he remains in his position, whereas Laca drops deep a lot throughout a game.

Highgate

People who wants to sell laca and play aubameyang there shouldnt be allowed to watch football.

Auba can't do that job, he doesnt/ can't play with his back to goal, laca is the only option we have. Infact we need a younger version of laca to be his back and potential replacement. Keeping laca is vital

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Auba is maintaining the production, not always the performances. There are plenty of games where he's invisible.
The reason he produces is because he barely does any defensive work and he remains in his position, whereas Laca drops deep a lot throughout a game.
Yeah, I agree Laca has done that well under Arteta but hopefully with Willian & if we land a Partey the midfield will be more balanced.

His big deal was as a goalscorer, off that great 30-40 goal season for Lyon. Now they are falling each season dont really see the worth.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

If we sell Laca then the replacement has to be very good is all I'm saying.

Laca's hold up play isn't even the best but it's miles better anyone else's who could start up front for us.

I would sell this summer but his stock is quite low so I wouldn't be averse to gambling on him having a better season next year. That way we have a stronger squad and still make the same transfer fee as we would have this summer.
Lacazette’s contract situation is the only reason Id entertain selling him really.

Im not sure who can come in who can replace/improve us that we can afford.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

Auba barely does any defensive work? How can anyone take you serious after that comment.

Top Bottom